GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,438
0 members and 1,438 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2015, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

We returned to school in the fall ready to start with a recruitment retreat, a first for our chapter. Beth and I were now assistant recruitment chairs and we had spent most of our summer in conversation with our National Office about our image and skills – we broke it to the chapter that there were to be new guidelines we would have to follow.

The biggest change was we were to no longer call ourselves a “Sorority for Non-Sorority Women”. We had to wear letter shirts on designated days and start getting dressed up (INCLUDING our pins) for our weekly meetings (previously, members wore whatever they wanted). You also had to sit at our designated table in the cafeteria for at least one meal each day. And the meal prior to our meeting was REQUIRED, even for those who lived off campus, then we would walk over to our house for a meeting – TOGETHER.

We WERE a sorority, so own it!

Although our skit was bad, we didn't replace it (THAT year) but rehearsals were called several times each week to improve it. It was revamped to be less trashy and beautiful sparkly 1920s style “Flapper” costumes were rented.

In short, we did everything we could think of, including a group of us moving into the “Sorority Dorms” to give us more presence.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2015, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we startled the other groups when we started showing up in our letter shirts to campus events and sitting together in the cafeteria and at football games. Being on the “other side” was a real eye-opener. We could see right away which freshmen the other groups were actually interested in – and which ones we wanted, or didn't think were a good fit. And our new conversation skills were put to the test. Through all of this, the “Sorority for Non-Sorority Girls” was becoming a much closer sisterhood. (Also, a shout out to Sandy, who was now “Assistant Sisterhood Chair” - she worked soooooo hard to build a cohesive sisterhood.)

Recruitment weekend arrived quickly and we went to work. The renovations we had made to our house were quite the conversation with the other GLOs. We now had a very nice house and were competitive with the Sportys and Babys. We didn't fill it with expensive antiques like Posh, but that wasn't our style anyway. One of the member's mother was a caterer - - she made tasty cookies in the shape of our mascot and symbols for our Chapter Party. NONE of the other groups had ever done this.

Beth was in charge of our 'Chapter Night' party. It was revamped and we all had on our new matching GLO jerseys. We celebrated our philanthropy and our sisterhood. We welcomed them in by name and sang our hearts out (in harmony) to those PNMs - - the great thing was, we now believed the sappy, “I love my GLO” songs; we were living the ideals of our founders and we were happy to be a Ginger!!

I worked on Skit night until it was vastly improved. Gone were the trashy costumes and as our self confidence improved, so did our show. We found new skills as we rehearsed – we all learned to tap dance (well, some better than others) and presented quite a different show from the previous year. (We “Razzle-Dazzled” them with “All That Jazz”)

At our preference party, all of our sisterhood work was evident. We were passionate about the love we had for Ginger and our sisters. We could attest to helping each other and growing within the group.

Previously, the Gingers had a very non-emotional presentation as we said, “this is who we are, and what we do. Please join.” Very flat.

We added an emotional symbolic ceremony to the closing of the party; as we were to add our GLOs flower to a vase, we would announce the best thing about our chapter. Of course, we rehearsed it - - but the actual ceremony brought tears to my eyes at every round. Then, as I looked around some of the PNMs were crying too. In fact, we were were ALL tearing up. What a change from the previous year!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

We sat in the Chapter Room on Monday afternoon waiting for our PanHel rep to bring over our list of new members. Quota had been 23 - - we needed 34 to bring us to house limit.

Oh, the suspense!

The older members were just as excited. They had never had such an emotion charged experience. Previously, the PNMs left each party as quickly as they could, but this years we literally had to boot them out the door!

Beth came in with boxes of letter shirts for the new members - - 34 shirts! She was so optimistic!

Our chapter hadn't reached (let alone exceeded) quota in over 10 years! How could we get 34??
Old 08-08-2015, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

When our PanHel representative came through the door, her smile said it all!!

We had gotten 25 new members! Quota +2!!

Our screams were heard all down the street! We poured out of our doors and started doing our chant-cheers as the new members were running toward OUR house!

One of the best things . . . our friend from freshman year, Trish - - (you remember, she was released from ALL the houses . . .) She had gone through AGAIN, and was now our new member!!

Yep, she did it right this time - - she listened when advised to chill out and just be herself; get involved in other things, but stay connected – as she did this, she realized that the GINGERS were her group all along!!! And, of course, wonderful, wonderful Sandy (who was her roommate) really went to bat for her during releases.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

With an A,

And an O,

And a P - - I . . . Pi!

I'm gonna be one til I DIE!!

Today, the AOIIs (with the help of RMF) are as successful as any of the other GLO on the campus. They consistently make quota+ and have expanded to over 100 chapter members.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

I was crying! Hooray for you and AOII!
Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Great story. Wonderful writing. Thanks for adding the following year.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

If it's cool, I'd love to know who the other orgs were.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
awesome story. how long ago are we speaking here? (decade?)

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-08-2015, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been absolutely brilliant- what an incredible chapter, to make it so far!!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm hoping it's long enough ago where she doesn't mind sharing the orgs. I feel bad for Scary. :'(
Old 08-08-2015, 07:30 PM

I have to ask. Did the dressing up for meetings, cafeteria hours etc go over ok with all the older members?

If they did All That Jazz I'm guessing this is 1980ish.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, 33.

That's why we had to wait until the new fall semester to implement the "dress codes". Most of the Seniors were so "non-Sorority" that they threatened to resign if we changed THAT much in only a few months.

National just told us to wait them out.

The best thing is the Junior/Soph members were READY for a change. They welcomed the changes - and, OH! the difference it made in our sisterhood.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I will reveal the names of the groups - - you know collegians really get defensive about their GLO, but after reading all the support here on GC, I think no one would mind. (I tried REALLY hard to be fair about everyone)

AND, these each of theses groups were REALLY NICE ladies - - - - we partied and had friends in every group. And we were supported by those other SPICE GIRLS when we fomented the changes.

POSH = TriDelta
SPORTY = ChiO
BABY = Kappa Delta
SCARY = ZTA

And, of course,

GINGER = AOII

If you want to hear another story, my sister, Lisa, has an extraordinary one. It is all about Panhel and Greek Love and the INTEGRATION of the White Sororities at our Practically All-White Campus in the 1970s.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great story! And I would love to hear more from you!