GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,515
2 members and 2,513 guests
babradanry3265, TLLK

Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a Senior?

I don't know anything about it, but here is my short story and deliema:

Freshmen year no rushing was allowed at my 1st college
Soph. year: I transfered to a much larger school and didn't know neone so i missed everything
Jr. year: I didn't rush until this new sorority came to campus, i fell in love with them, but didn't accept my bid because I was in a serious realtionship and they guy didn't think it was a good idea. That i know is retarded, but i was also swamped with school and had to work alot so i didn't think i had the time

So i have always wanted to be involved mainly for meeting new people. I am shy but not with people i know. I don't have the best confidence which alot of people think i am crazy for. I love the social events too and volunterring attracts me to sorority life. I like volunteering but lack motivation when its on my own.

the only thing that is holding me back is feeling retarded to be rushing my final year.
does ne one know of people who have done this?
are sororities welcoming to this sort of thing or am i wasting my time.

also i still love the sorority i rushed last year, how likly is it that they can rebid me or do they not do this.....

thanks so much

-Fickle Sr.

Last edited by rxqueen; 09-08-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator

if you want to rush, you should do so. i do not know where you go to school, but at most schools, rushing as a senior will make it harder to receive a bid-but you never know-exceptions to every rule happen every day. you know your campus'sorority climate and know best how seniors fare in recruitment.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Seniors getting bidded really depends on the school. I would say that you should go in expecting heavy cuts, but give it a shot.

Are you still friendly with the chapter you bidded last year? Talk to your friends-- tell them that you realized you made a mistake and you plan to re-rush. That you wished you had stuck it out last year--- maybe they will talk you up to the chapter again.

Give it a shot and register for recruitment, with the expectation that you may not have as competitive a recruitment because chapters will see you as someone who will only be an active member for one year. Chapters historically prefer underclassmen, but they do take a few exemplary seniors, depending on the campus, the chapter and the chapter's needs and members that recruitment. If it works out, great, and if not, at least your curiosity will be satisfied. Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Well the sorority that I want to join was brand new like i said last year, so they didn't have anyone who was already a sister to make judgements on who's in and who is not. This year is the 1st year for them, and i am hoping they look past the year that i am because many members did join as sr.s last year and the group that is there is only there for 1 year now, so they don't have those solid bonds that the rest of the sororities have.

I just don't like this formal rush, b/c i know i will get cut (hopefully not by the one i want) and that is still not the best feeling even though i don't want to join thier sorority per say.
The girl i do know in the one i want to join, knows i want to join and she is friendly about it. I've only spoken to her twice but she is sweet and told me not to worry b/c she was a jr. last year like me when i rushed.

I also want to add that the sorority i want to rush, the one that started last year did not have a formal rush, it was after formal rush so everyone there wanted to join that sorority. I think this year will be their 1st formal rush.

Last edited by rxqueen; 09-08-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you know if this chapter will be doing COB during the semester? If they are then it might be a better route for you. Just a thought.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Rollergirl2001
rxqueen, please check your pm box.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Want a surefire way to get cut? Use the word "retarded" like you did in your post.

I think you probably meant you felt foolish, silly or otherwise. Retarded is a very serious word and for anyone who has relatives with down's syndrome, you will be not only "corrected" but made to feel even worse than "silly".

Please choose your words more wisely. A senior should know better.

Denise
Old 09-12-2005, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by Denise_DPhiE
Want a surefire way to get cut? Use the word "retarded" like you did in your post.
I was thinking the same thing. Just be careful about which words you use.

It sounds like the chapter you want to join is in the same position as my chapter a few years ago. We did pledge a couple seniors, girls who knew several members already, and that was through COB. If you have your heart set on that one sorority, I think you'd be better off COBing with them if that's going to be an option. If not, try your luck at formal rush but, as everyone has pointed out, upperclassmen do have a tougher time usually.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I didn't think the word retarded was generically insulting? Isn't insulting only by context?

Calling a decision you made retarded should only offend yourself.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hi Guys,

here is my update from the week.

yes i called it retarded because thats the impression that i got from many people off of here with thier comments in various other threads. this is even true to some of the girls i talked to this week, not directly but basically shunned the idea of a senior rushing.

anyways. today i got my bid of my top choice sorority. I was a bit nervous when the cuts happened because after 2 days I only had 2 sororities who were intrested in me.

my friends and chi rho were really supportive through the process. I was excited this morning. and can say i am proud to go through the process even at such a late pt. in my college carrer.

i may join this site again but under a diffrent name.

thanks for those who were supportive.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Calling a decision you made retarded should only offend yourself.
LOL isn't calling a decision retarded kind of like calling an inanimate object gay -- oh, you think those pants are gay? Does that mean they desire sexual relations with other pants of the same gender?
Old 09-22-2005, 08:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on getting in to your top choice!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

good for you rxqueen!! congratulations. i would love to know what sorority and where you go to school.