GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,436
2 members and 1,434 guests
No Members online

Old 09-25-2011, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertylove View Post
I'm a sophomore and I just transferred in.
Are you certain that your GPA from your previous school transferred and not just the credits? Recently there was a thread about another transfer story. That girl's GPA was reported to the sororities as 0.0 and all the chapters released her.

If you just transferred in this semester, nobody in the chapters knew you. Sophomores+ might routinely get bids on your campus, however it might be that they only bid girls who the chapter members have known through classes, clubs, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamarox View Post
2.References, I don't care what your campus said, most national sororities invite pnm's back for a second round if a reference has been written on their behalf. A reference is a letter of introduction from an alumnae who knows you. It is a formality, but at many schools PNMs are automatically released if they do not have one.
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. This is just plain flat out not true. Maybe it's the case with your GLO and your school, but it is NOT true many places. A lot of people on here will see they never saw a rec in four years.

Please exit the "Bama bubble" before making assertions that are just wrong.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
NUKaydee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. This is just plain flat out not true. Maybe it's the case with your GLO and your school, but it is NOT true many places. A lot of people on here will see they never saw a rec in four years.

Please exit the "Bama bubble" before making assertions that are just wrong.
+1. My chapter has never received a rec and I truly doubt receiving one for a PNM would alter any decision we made unless it was written by a woman my whole chapter knew personally/a National Council member.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wasn't asking it to be fixed now was I?

Perhaps you could understand that (or maybe you didn't read thoroughly) that I got rejected from all five sororities on the first day of rushing, so I am just looking for some constructive criticism. I of course already understand that

1) You wouldn't know what the sororities, this is obvious
2) Other sororities are not allowed to talk about why they would reject me.

I am not moping, I am just wondering about reasons someone would be rejected from a sorority especially in my case when I got rejected to all five in one day.

Can anyone give me an idea on that?
WE. DON'T. KNOW.

There are million possible reasons, but we weren't there.

Perhaps your lack of ability to "get it" is part of the reason? You can ask the same question twenty ways, but if no one can answer it, you're not going to get an answer.

My suggestion is to keep up with the things that you are already doing, and make a name for yourself on campus. Greek life isn't the end-all be-all. Yes, it can be a blast, but like everything else, it's not for everyone.

For example, not everyone who wanted to join our campus newspaper as a reporter were accepted. Not only did you need impeccable writing skills and have a certain GPA, but you needed to be confident and be able to ask questions and get the answers in any situation. Some of the qualities were hard to describe - you needed a certain personality to do that kind of thing. That's about the best I can do in explaining how you can have certain qualities, but you may not be WHAT or WHO they are looking for.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

As a mom whose daughter just finished rush, I can tell you this: my darling, perfect, intelligent, sweet, wonderful.. etc. child was cut heavily after round 1 and 2! Who knows why? Not me, not her. She got "fantastic" vibes from all the houses. It comes down to how well you react, chat, dress etc. Oh yes and grades! My daughter ended up in her "perfect" sorority. Yes she was lucky, but I also know that many girls at her school were not matched. It happens everywhere. I hope the future brings you good luck.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Aw, I was lucky enough to receive a private message from the OP! Here is how she started it:

Quote:
You really should read something thoroughly before you start being so rude.
Seriously? I have a reading comprehension problem? You're the one who doesn't seem to understand anything that we're saying. And YOU were the one who called us obnoxious... I, in my quoted text below, only pointed out that YOU are the one who is being obnoxious by continuing to press everyone for more information that we simply don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
The reason GCers were being "obnoxious" is because you were the one acting that way first. You didn't seem to understand the first time someone said so that WE CAN'T TELL YOU WHY YOU DIDN'T GET A BID. We can tell you that things like GPA, extra-curriculars, and conversation skills could be factors, but beyond that, we're done.

But you just kept going on and on and on looking for a reason, and getting frustrated when no one would give you one...

Let it go.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm telling you that the shoes were a HUGE issue. They screamed "I don't care enough!" Did you see anyone else in sneakers? I certainly hope not. If you had said to each house: Pardon my sneakers but I have a recent foot injury and am not allowed to wear dress shoes yet" - that would have made a positive impression on the groups. But no, you didn't care enough and neither did they. Sorry. I you persist and go to law school, please don't ever show up in court in them The judge will blast you for it.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

I have been an advisor on both small and large campuses, so I can look outside the so called "bama bubble." While a recommendation will not insure a bid,many times it will insure an invitation to the second round of parties. This poor kid did not make it past the open house round. All I said was that it might get her foot in the door a second time. You girls certainly get testy.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

This girl is just as likely to be a 52 year old man as a girl who failed at rush. That's where the snarky is coming from.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I have been an advisor on both small and large campuses, so I can look outside the so called "bama bubble." While a recommendation will not insure a bid,many times it will insure an invitation to the second round of parties. This poor kid did not make it past the open house round. All I said was that it might get her foot in the door a second time. You girls certainly get testy.
But see, here's the thing, that's not necessarily true. Just because you've worked with "small" and "large" campuses, that's still not true. The OP would be well advised to ask sorority members on her campus whether or not they receive recs for PNMs.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

It doesn't even make sense. At schools where recs are basically a must, surely almost all PNMs will have them, but then the chapters that have to cut a lot because of high return rates are going to be cutting people with refs.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, I was testy-ing at the "most national sororities" part.

You have no idea what "most national sororities" do unless you've somehow gotten membership selection information that a nonmember shouldn't have.

Not to mention that saying "many schools" will release women without a rec is flat out untrue. "Many schools" (as I've said) wouldn't know what a rec looks like.

I don't think this PNM was released because of recs or lack of them, because I don't think (based on what she's told us) it's that kind of school. More than likely her grades did not transfer and she was shown as ineligible. (I'm sure sneakers with dress pants didn't help either.)
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No recs are not required for us.

I have talked to many girls, many rushed their sophomore years because they were hesitant their freshmen year.
Just because recs are "not required" at your school doesn't mean that you don't need them. On some campuses not having a rec might as well = getting dropped right off the bat.

If you're school is on this list or otherwise mentioned here, that may have been a major factor.
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=schools+recs
Old 09-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Banned

I think Libertylove is the same as the other trolls. The summertroll sent me a PM the other day.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
I think Libertylove is the same as the other trolls. The summertroll sent me a PM the other day.
Yes, and one would think that with so many different personalities that each persona could have different issues to bring up.