GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,336
4 members and 1,332 guests
John, Sarak24034, UofISigKap
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment at these schools?

I'm looking at a few schools as a transfer student (going in as a sophomore) for Fall 2010 and was curious about the Greek Life at two schools as to how competitive they are and proper dress for recruitment as their websites don't really go into it.

The schools are Drury University in Springfield, MO and Northwest Missouri State.
I keep looking on their websites but they really don't go into appropriate attire and I really didn't expect them to talk about how competitive recruitment is. Also for these schools, how important are recs? I'm not sure I really know anyone in any of those sororities and I would feel a little awkward asking "Hey, were you in any of these sororities? Great! Can you write me a letter?" if I haven't seen them in over a year.

I'm looking at a few other schools out of state, but they don't seem to have greek life so I didn't really feel the need to mention them.

Thanks!

ETA: I tried searching for Northwest Missouri State but wasn't finding any info. I'm still searching on Drury.

Last edited by Parfait; 11-02-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard of either of these schools, and I'm usually good at those sorts of things. Can't recall seeing a thread on either of these schools before.

If I had to guess (so take it for what it is worth) I would guess that neither school has a super strong greek life and recs probably aren't required. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Drury system is not competitive. It is a small system with 4 npc groups; Tri-Delta, Kappa Delta, Pi Phi, and Zeta. They have very nice suites and no houses. Due to the numbers going through I don't think you would have trouble finding a home with an open mind. Alpha Phi was there till 1983 but the campus population could not support 5 GLO's and we lost our charter due to low numbers.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:23 AM

NWMSU has one of the oldest active ASA chapters there. That's about all I know about it though. I think Truman's system is more competitive.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you.

I'm not finding a lot of information at any of the schools. I'm interested in joining a sorority, but at the same time I'm also looking at schools that don't have greek life so it's not a huge deciding factor for me. I just thought I would get what information I could.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to school in MO— 90% sure these schools aren't very competitive in terms of Greek Life. You mentioned you weren't sure if you knew anyone in the sororities, did you mean specifically at those chapters? If you haven't talked to them in a while, you might want to get back in touch with your acquaintances in sororities at those schools to let them know you'll be coming through.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry, I don't think I was too clear. What I meant is I don't think I know anyone who was in a sorority in college as far as getting recs. There may be a few people we know but I'd feel a little awkward to contact someone to ask if they were in one of sororities that has a chapter at the school(s) and then ask for a rec when I haven't seen that person in a long time.

I do have a friend who was in a sorority, but she ultimately left school and it was local to that school. However, she is heavily pushing me to at least go through recruitment to see how I like them.

I don't know anyone at any of the schools I'm looking at, most of my graduating class (which was small) went to Duke, Bama, Texas A&M, and then a few smaller schools in various places.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parfait View Post
I'm sorry, I don't think I was too clear. What I meant is I don't think I know anyone who was in a sorority in college as far as getting recs. There may be a few people we know but I'd feel a little awkward to contact someone to ask if they were in one of sororities that has a chapter at the school(s) and then ask for a rec when I haven't seen that person in a long time.

I do have a friend who was in a sorority, but she ultimately left school and it was local to that school. However, she is heavily pushing me to at least go through recruitment to see how I like them.

I don't know anyone at any of the schools I'm looking at, most of my graduating class (which was small) went to Duke, Bama, Texas A&M, and then a few smaller schools in various places.
Please do not feel awkward about asking alumnae where they went to school, if they were in a sorority, if so which one, and if it is one at the campus you are interested if they would write a Rec. Most alumnae are thrilled to talk about these things. We love recounting our memories and offering advice. If none of the folks you know were in a GLO represented on your campus, they might know others that are.

Most alumnae are honored and excited to write a Rec (assuming the PNM is a qualified candidate). It's a way to still be involved in the membership selection process and to help our organization continue to thrive by getting good members. As for not having seen someone for a long time, well here's a great way to re-establish the relationship.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Please do not feel awkward about asking alumnae where they went to school, if they were in a sorority, if so which one, and if it is one at the campus you are interested if they would write a Rec. Most alumnae are thrilled to talk about these things. We love recounting our memories and offering advice. If none of the folks you know were in a GLO represented on your campus, they might know others that are.

Most alumnae are honored and excited to write a Rec (assuming the PNM is a qualified candidate). It's a way to still be involved in the membership selection process and to help our organization continue to thrive by getting good members. As for not having seen someone for a long time, well here's a great way to re-establish the relationship.
i agree !
Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

A bit of an update. I don't really hang around here much, mostly I log in to read some posts because I find them very informative.

After talking to a few people only one person I knew turned up to be greek and she was not in a sorority that has a chapter at the schools that I am considering.

Some good news though is I have been accepted to each school where I have applied.

Another question. My HS GPA wasn't really excellent, not bad, but not outstanding. It has gone up significantly in college. I understand you cannot speak for the chapters but is it do you think it's worth trying recruitment if I didn't have a 3.0 HS but improved in college? FWIW my HS GPA is above the minimum required.

Last edited by Parfait; 12-28-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Another question. My HS GPA wasn't really excellent, not bad, but not outstanding. It has gone up significantly in college. I understand you cannot speak for the chapters but is it do you think it's worth trying recruitment if I didn't have a 3.0 HS but improved in college? FWIW my HS GPA is above the minimum required.
This probably depends on the school, but when I went through recruitment they didn't even look at my high school GPA. I went through informal recruitment and it was all upperclassmen, and even for formal recruitment at my school (which is in the spring), I'm pretty sure they look at first semester grades for the freshmen rather than their high school GPA. Of course, things could vary at different schools, but I wouldn't be too worried about it.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations on your acceptance!

I wouldn't worry too much about your HS GPA. It may show up on your recruitment packet, depending upon the school, but most chapters will be looking at your college GPA.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

A sister in my alumni group is a graduate of Drury, and she loved the school, received an excellent education and was very active in greek life there. I have the impression that it's a nice system... small but active, panhellenically oriented, low pressure. I don't get the impression that being a transfer student would be a barrier to receiving a bid, if the pnm is a good candidate in other ways. Good luck!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
I've never heard of either of these schools, and I'm usually good at those sorts of things. Can't recall seeing a thread on either of these schools before.

If I had to guess (so take it for what it is worth) I would guess that neither school has a super strong greek life and recs probably aren't required. But I could be wrong.
Please see Drury's entire page -- with links -- on the subject of recommendations at

http://www.drury.edu/multinl/story.c...d=252&id=23698

To me, it looks like they encourage / strongly encourage recs. However, I may be mistaken (it's happened before and it'll probably happen again). At any rate, it looks like they're familiar with recs and certainly know what to do with them when they come in.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
Quote:
Now I really dont know about either of these schools specifically, but I do know generally that if you are a transfer going through recruitment, chapters will usually consider your college GPA, not your HS one.
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Closed Thread