GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,638
0 members and 1,638 guests
No Members online

Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystikchick View Post
Honeychile, you have so much graciousness even when pointing out the unfortunate attitude of the OP that it's truly wonderful. You are amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
I have gained additional respect today for Honeychile's Kappa mama. You can always tell when someone was brought up right.
Thank you both so very much - y'all are just TOO SWEET! Just to clear things up, though, my grandmama was the Kappa. My parents eloped when my daddy got drafted, and married women weren't allowed to pledge sororities back then.

But I'll be sure to pass the kind words on to my mama - you were surely raised right, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoheatherxo View Post
i know im going against everyone on here and am going to get crap for it, but i honestly think we should leave her alone now and stop adding fuel to the fire.
I agree. She already has enough on her plate to think about, and anything from here on in is redundant. I do have enough faith in her chapter to see her true colors prior to initiation.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

that was the most dramatic thread i've ever read in my life. i wish that one with the identical twin in a southern school with the pink frills and stuff kept posting! that was the best thread ever with those cliffhangers. she kept saying "but there was that one thing..."

regarding this thread- chill out! everyone! refer to the thread where people state the stupid/shallow/funny reasons they dropped or kept houses when they rushed. some of them sound pretty shallow and now they're all GCers. I remember being incredibly shallow during recruitment!

Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I've read this whole thread and I have to agree, I think we should lay off LMV. Yes, she said some incredibly shallow things during recruitment, but I can't say that had I gone through formal I might not have been shallow as well. The school I rushed at (and the school I transferred too) had about 13-14 houses when I joined, I wouldn't have been able to remember much, but those "shallow" things (i.e., what the girls looked like). It doesn't make me a bad person, it makes me human. While, yes, I don't think she handeled her thread appropriately being bluntly honest, she has every right to be bluntly honest. We just aren't used to that on GC. We are used to PNM's being "sweet and kind and not rude". The reality check of this, not every PNM is like we are used too.

Critizing her and demanding apologies from her just, as someone pointed out, "adds fuel to the fire". People from GC keep ragging on her, she comes and behaves even more inappropriately, but at this point, we (on GC) aren't behaving to appropriately either. And I'm not calling anyone out by name, I'm saying GC as a whole, because as a whole there are way too many people to name that have behaved badly in recruitment threads.

For me, even though she is a junior transfer, she is still 19-21 (I say that because we don't know how old she was when she started college or when her birthday is). I know I was still pretty immature and stupid at those ages. And I'm everyone took a step back, they would "see" that they too were probably pretty immature and stupid at those ages as well.

I'm sure someone will flame me for this, but whatever.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe a solution, and in light of some other rush thread fiascos, GC should recommend only retro rush threads or even just telling the GC community which GLO was pledged without going through the day-by-day experience.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Maybe a solution, and in light of some other rush thread fiascos, GC should recommend only retro rush threads or even just telling the GC community which GLO was pledged without going through the day-by-day experience.

Aaack! This R thread addict would have a hard time with this solution!

I can see why you'd suggest it, but I'd seriously have to find a new fix. Then again, I'm Sydney, and I'm a GC R-thread-aholic.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSKKG View Post
Most women manage to tell about their rush experience discreetly and without any consequences. The ones that don't, well....Darwinism is all I have to say
Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittanyalum View Post
You, my dear, are a treasure, and I am so pleased for your new chapter. I hope they make you their Alumnae Relations officer. When you do find yourself still checking back in on GC when you're in law school (which I guarantee you will), I hope you're as shocked and disappointed by the snotty attitude of a collegian toward you as an alumna as well. And by the way, you respect alumnae from other chapters because we're all members of Panhel and the greek community, you will hopefully be fully educated about that during your NM period. My interest in you and this thread has completely ended, please pay close attention during your fraternity education sessions.
Who wants to start the pool that LMV doesnt make it to initiation?....er, rather, join the pool. I guess I'm starting it. She's proved by her snotty attitude towards alums that she doesnt feel that a sorority is a lifetime commitment. Go join a club, sweetheart, since that's what it sounds like you want.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTrax View Post
OK, I think things have gone on long enough. Refer to the forum TOS - if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. That goes for everyone regardless of age.

The insults regarding age, interest in Greek life, etc. are stopping NOW. If LMV is not going to reveal what, if any, bid she received, the purpose of this thread has ended. Let's move on...

I agree with what Barbara said a page ago. This is degenerating into vitriolic attacks on both sides. All of us are old enough to know better.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

LMV - I'm happy for you that you have found a home on campus and that hopefully it's where you wanted to be. I also do hope that you really take it all in during your fraternity education. Lifetime commitment is one of the best things about joining a sorority. Unfortunately too many members think it is only there for them during their 4 years on campus.

I'm not going to speak for everyone, but I'm still involved in my sorority and I was initiated in 1996. I happen to work with other chapters on other campuses than mine at U of I but it doesn't mean that I don't care about that one as well. I put a lot into my sorority experience and I got a lot out of it, it helped form my self-development, gave my confidence to do things I never thought I'd have the courage to do, and allowed me to feel at home with a campus of 36,000 people. Not to mention the connections to my chapter's sisters but the amazing amount of women I've met throughout North America, young and older, who I'm proud to call my sisters. I believe in my ritual and I've lived by the values in my ritual my entire life (most if it without knowing that those were my sorority's values). I hope that the experience I had, albeit not perfect and rocky, is still available for collegiate women to continue to have for years to come.

I know that without alumnae volunteers sororities will not exist so I will devote my time for the rest of my life. I hope I do see you active on GC in the years to come and caring about the life of your sorority and all greek life

Make the most of your experience, it will reward you thousands-fold.

The recruitment adviser at my chapter on campus is one of my best friends but I'm not going to ask about junior transfers.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Most women manage to tell about their rush experience discreetly and without any consequences. The ones that don't, well....Darwinism is all I have to say
Well, most PNM's are smart enough not to list out the chapters in alphabetical order, complete with obvious identifying details.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I'm not from up there, but I just finished reading the whole thread (thank God for those of you who quoted what she deleted) and I just have one question: Which one was Zeta??? PM me if you know, I'm nosey as heck and I just hope she didn't say anything too bad about my sisters up there (not that I'd do or say anything, just curious).
Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
I'm not from up there, but I just finished reading the whole thread (thank God for those of you who quoted what she deleted) and I just have one question: Which one was Zeta??? PM me if you know, I'm nosey as heck and I just hope she didn't say anything too bad about my sisters up there (not that I'd do or say anything, just curious).
Zeta does not have a chapter at UIUC.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
She started listing the sororities in alphabetical order, getting half-way through. This part of the post was deleted, but someone did quote her so it remained on the thread.

The GC'ers starting blasting her for her posts and none of us remember her finishing the latter part of the alphabet. Chances are high that she never go to the Zetas. Lucky you.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
I thought in a quote of her first post she listed Zeta Tau Alpha (all in alphabetical order, as previously observed).... If there isn't a Zeta chapter there, then... whew!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:07 PM

ZTA closed there when I was in school.