GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,278
0 members and 2,278 guests
No Members online

Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

GOP Candidates Criticize Coulter for Slur

Updated:2007-03-03 18:40:11
GOP Candidates Criticize Coulter for Slur
By ADAM NAGOURNEY
WASHINGTON (March 3) -- Three of the leading Republican presidential candidates on Saturday denounced one of their party's best-known conservative commentators for using an antigay epithet when discussing a Democratic presidential contender at a gathering of conservatives here.
http://news.aol.com/elections/presid...00010000000001
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Hilarious.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to sdsuchelle
Of course you'd be the person to call it hilarious. That's fucking sick.

Would you still laugh if she had called him a ni***r?

They're just as bad, IMO, but for some reason the gay slur is more culturally acceptable.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

"Faggot" is a term that is commonly used to describe people who are pathetic, weak, annoying, etc. It is a slur against gay people, and I'm sure its offensive to many. However, it being offensive to some doesn't make it unfunny to me.

Of course, Coulter, in the same speech, went on to say that she didn't dislike gay people, but rather was against gay marriage. It was inappropriate, but not a sign of her hatred for gay people or homophobia. Of course, people on the left won't let the truth get in the way of misrepresentations.

If Coulter were a politician I think she should have to apologize, etc. However, she's not. She's a comedian/political analyst who offends people as her job. She's brilliant and hated. I think its probably the GOP's fault for including her too much into the party. She certainly has a role in conservative politics, but I don't think she belongs in partisan activities. I am rather surprised she said it at CPAC, however.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
I am rather surprised she said it at CPAC, however.
Why? She's a personality -- that's all she has to sell. For people in her line of work, any mention of their existance is a good mention of their existance.

It's really a brilliant way of marketing herself. Which do you think more Americans are aware of -- that CPAC even exists? Or that Anne Coulter called Edwards a bad name?

Anne Coulter wins again. Her prize? More paid appearances on Fox News, more people buying her books, etc. She's got the media figured out and she's playing them like a fiddle.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-05-2007, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
The Governor of California called the state legislature "girlie men" I believe. Which is a similar slur, but may have been deserved.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Kevin, I'm surprised she would do it in that forum. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if she did it on a radio show or in her column, but doing it at a rather mainstream and partisan conference was something I wouldn't have expected.

I agree that it will increase her notoriety, however.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

The double-standard lives. If a conservative says something outrageous, it has a lifespan on the liberal media of two weeks or more.

Bill Maher (see below) gets a pass from the liberal media.

Bill Maher has stirred outrage once again, this time saying it would be better if Vice President Dick Cheney was dead. (On his HBO show "Real Time")
Old 03-05-2007, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Anne Coulter wins again. Her prize? More paid appearances on Fox News, more people buying her books, etc. She's got the media figured out and she's playing them like a fiddle.
Maybe she'll be able to buy herself a pretty face and a good tan.

Her delivery of her viewpoints screams "attentionwhore." I can deal with that, but not from men or women who look like they try hard to be attractive but just CAN'T.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

Her delivery of her viewpoints screams "attentionwhore." I can deal with that, but not from men or women who look like they try hard to be attractive but just CAN'T.
And the name of a good plastic surgeon, because her last one botched the face-job. Boom-tisch!

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Old 03-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

Chaos: It's very unfeminist of you to bash a woman who expresses a political/personal opinion regarding her looks

You say attentionwhore, I say self-promoter. Again, we're talking about it, so for her, mission accomplished, she's relevant for another 2 weeks.

Shiner, as to the forum, there's no one quite like Coulter currently in the political-entertainment landscape. Bill Maher might be your closest bet. Before we go and whine about the hipocrisy, I do believe that conservative radio hosts were and are unanimously critical of Maher for his comments re Chaney.

For folks like Maher and Coulter though, (Maher to a lesser degree since he has a regular gig) any publicity = good publicity. What better place than a conservative media convention to stir up a cloud of contraversy surrounding yourself if you're Coulter? It's what she does. Obviously, she's good at it.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

For the record, i didn't say anything about hypocrisy.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock View Post
For the record, i didn't say anything about hypocrisy.
Yeah, I brought that in. It's been a pretty common theme for conservatives to defend Coulter along the lines of leftist hypocrisy. My bad on the lack of clarity.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Chaos: It's very unfeminist of you to bash a woman who expresses a political/personal opinion regarding her looks
I guess you missed "I can deal with that, but not from men or women who look like they try hard to be attractive but just CAN'T."

Quote:
You say attentionwhore, I say self-promoter. Again, we're talking about it, so for her, mission accomplished, she's relevant for another 2 weeks.
She's an idiot promoter. She doesn't push relevant issues for the sake of relevancy. Her "political/personal opinions" are dramatized ideas to promote herself as a political character.

And I'm not even a Democrat OR a liberal.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 03-06-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
And the name of a good plastic surgeon, because her last one botched the face-job. Boom-tisch!
I agree.

There are plenty of outspoken, unattractive people in politics. But the difference is that they TRY to make her into this controversial, political blonde bombshell. It's so evident and annoying. When THEY and SHE stop acting like she's a looker who happens to have a brain, I'll stop criticizing her looks and just critize her brain (idiocy).