GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,448
2 members and 1,446 guests
FSUZeta, Kevin

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

New Mexico college student shot during alleged fraternity hazing incident

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mexico-col..._headlines_hed

Quote:
A New Mexico State University student has been accused of shooting a classmate in an alleged hazing incident that resulted in his fraternity's suspension.

Miguel Altamirano was charged with felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he allegedly shot Jonathan Sillas in the leg as he pledged the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

Altamirano could face as many as many as three years in prison if convicted as charged, but his attorney, C.J. McEllhinney, says the shooting wasn't intentional. He said the shooting happened as the students were "joking around."
Sillas, a criminal justice major, said Kappa Sigma fraternity members pulled him aside and ordered him to turn around during an initiation event. He said he was expecting to get hit with a paddle from behind, but he never imagined he'd be shot.
"Whenever I turned around, he reaches and he pulled the gun out of the backpack," Sillas said. "I wasn't like watching but I heard him click it and then I started freaking out."

@~/~~~~