GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,362
2 members and 1,360 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofthehill View Post
That is too bad for the sophomores!

As for grades...each year they seem to be increasingly important. Most houses do not take girls with less than a 3.0/4.0 even though Panhellenic only requires a 2.5. I think that Panhellenic is aware of the different standards that each of the houses have, so it is a shame that a lot of the girls with less than a 3.0 pay all the fees and get released after the first night. If the houses require a 3.0, then Panhellenic should require a 3.0.
Interesting you should say this because we have had MANY discussions on GC about this issue. There are ALOT of schools whose Panhellenics do the eaxct same thing (set a low GPA requirment when the chapter requirements are much higher) and many of us think it's not fair.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KappaKittyCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Interesting you should say this because we have had MANY discussions on GC about this issue. There are ALOT of schools whose Panhellenics do the eaxct same thing (set a low GPA requirment when the chapter requirements are much higher) and many of us think it's not fair.
We ran into that situation all the time when I was an active. We had deferred rush, so women already had a semester's worth of grades in. My alma mater only required a 2.0 - that's a C average, folks - to participate in any extracurriculars, so that's what the minimum for rush was. Needless to say, we had lots of heartbroken PNMs after the first night of rush every year I was there.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKittyCat View Post
My alma mater only required a 2.0 - that's a C average, folks - to participate in any extracurriculars, so that's what the minimum for rush was.
I was going to say, I think the reason this happens is because the school says it has to. The school has no control over national/local GPA requirements for sororities.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, Panhellenics could easily fix this problem by clearly stating the chapters' minimum GPAs so women know their chances going into recruitment. AOII's chapter minimums are not a secret....are other NPC"s minimums secret?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
You know, Panhellenics could easily fix this problem by clearly stating the chapters' minimum GPAs so women know their chances going into recruitment. AOII's chapter minimums are not a secret....are other NPC"s minimums secret?
At my school the minimum GPA to rush was 2.0. All the chapters had higher requirements, which actually WERE published in the annual recruitment booklet given to PNMs. Yet there were always women who rushed with below the chapter minimums (at my school, 4 chapters had a 2.25 minimum and one chapter had a 2.33 minimum)!

I think part of the reason our school refused to change it because there was a 2.0 minimum for guys' rush as well and having the women's move up to 2.25 (which would have been sensible) would have somehow been "unfair" or discriminatory. The fraternities, AFAIK, often pledged guys who had right at 2.0 and often "underground pledged" guys with below that and then just listed them with the school and nationals as pledges from informal recruitment the following term.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
At my school the minimum GPA to rush was 2.0. All the chapters had higher requirements, which actually WERE published in the annual recruitment booklet given to PNMs. Yet there were always women who rushed with below the chapter minimums (at my school, 4 chapters had a 2.25 minimum and one chapter had a 2.33 minimum)!

I think part of the reason our school refused to change it because there was a 2.0 minimum for guys' rush as well and having the women's move up to 2.25 (which would have been sensible) would have somehow been "unfair" or discriminatory. The fraternities, AFAIK, often pledged guys who had right at 2.0 and often "underground pledged" guys with below that and then just listed them with the school and nationals as pledges from informal recruitment the following term.
If you are stupid enough to sign up with a GPA lower than the chapter minimums, your deserve the comeuppance!

AOII

Old 08-28-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
If you are stupid enough to sign up with a GPA lower than the chapter minimums, your deserve the comeuppance!
Pretty much. At least it was published at my school.

The one excuse I'll make for them is that they registered in the fall, before they knew what their final grades would be. Since we had rush in January, we looked at their first semester college grades, not their HS grades.

HS grades would have been fairly meaningless at my school anyway.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha! Grades could be completely irrelevant at my school! I've said it before....I know of one girl who got a bid to a competitive chapter at my school with a 1.9 college GPA! What!?! My chapter cut her...

AOII

Old 08-28-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
You know, Panhellenics could easily fix this problem by clearly stating the chapters' minimum GPAs so women know their chances going into recruitment. AOII's chapter minimums are not a secret....are other NPC's minimums secret?
Each minimum GPA was published in the recruitment book that PNMs got, so no, they were not a secret.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Each year that I was active, my chapter always had a long discussion about grades - even though 3.0 is our minimum. Here are some issued that have been raised...I would be curious to know if any of you have dealt with these same things.

1. A girl's GPA is below Panhellenic standard but she gets is waived because of a learning disability (ADD, ADHD, dyslexia..)
2. A particular high school is very academically challenging...if this girl would have gone to another high school her grades would be better
3. A girl graduated high school with better than our minimum but took at least 24 hr of college credit (before actually starting college) and now doesn't have the minimum.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

grades are HUGE at Arkansas this year.......know of a girl with just under a 3.0.........and she only got asked back to 3 houses for round 2. i'm afraid what tomorrow brings for her. whats up with GAME DAY Saturday.......the rushees cant even "tailgate" with their parents???

Last edited by UARK GO HOGS; 08-29-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush starts at 3 today and ends at 11:40.

I'm told that the girls can go out and drink and everything. Rushees can go out as well but they have to be super careful what they do.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-29-2008, 03:31 PM

The official PNM count was 710 for Meet and Greet. 30 PNMs have withdrawn/been released at this point for grades or other reasons.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

they have to (or are SUPPOSED to) tailgate and go to the game WITH THEIR GAMMA CHI
Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Rush starts at 3 today and ends at 11:40.

I'm told that the girls can go out and drink and everything. Rushees can go out as well but they have to be super careful what they do.

I know our girls voted to wear badge attire to the game to avoid any infractions. I guess they made some special rules about game day attire, but the members are freaked out that they might misinterpret them so they are going the safe route.