GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,454
0 members and 1,454 guests
No Members online

Old 12-18-2008, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I concur that there are out of state girls in every house at UT, so it is very attainable.

You have started at a great time to get your ducks in a row for recruitment. Start working on getting your recs now.

From the recs I have done for UT girls, they want 1 formal rec (the form that is downloaded from the sorority website) and 3 letters of support (including the formal rec writer), then 2 pics, one a face shot and one a 3/4, these do NOT have to be formal studio type, your mom can take pics of you outside (and a snowy picture might be a real standout ).

I also agree that it is a good idea to google some of the Texas panhellenic websites, Houston has one, Katy has one, Richardson is named above, etc. They all have "how to's" that have information about clothing choices, accessories, etc. AND, peruse the threads on GC about "what to do" and Texas Recruitment, there is a TON of good information.

DO NOT let it intimidate you! You are obviously a smart girl or you wouldn't have been accepted this early at UT - you have to be a top oos (no brainer) admit. So, now that you're in, start working on the other stuff.

You will meet a bunch of girls when you come down for orientation week in the summer. Try to get to know other girls who are rushing, they might give you in's with girls they know in houses.

There is a house for every type of girl (who wants to be Greek) at UT. Give it a chance and best of luck to you!! If you want to ask anything else, please feel free to do so. I don't have a daughter at UT, I have a sophomore son, but I have been writitng UT recs for 20 years and I know many wonderful young women there in many different houses.

*I agree that being from the midwest might be a good thing, it makes you different!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
^^ all of the above.

Just remember: If you don't play, you can't win. Yes, you may indeed go bidless in recruitment, it happens. But, you could just end up with a bid to a wonderful sorority. And also, you may go through recruitment and realize that the NPC sorority life isn't for you (not likely, but it happens). The bottom line is, that if you don't at least try, you will never know what could have happened.

So you've got bags of time to put yourself in order for rush. You've got all winter to get involved in volunteering, to work on your grades, to plan your recruitment attire, to meet alums*, and to get recs. If you're staring out the window envisioning yourself walking across the quad with a big UT sweater on...don't let maybes stop you. Don't let hypothetical situations ruin your chances to be happy OVERALL. UT is a huge school, there will be tons of opportunities to find friends and happiness, both in Greek life, and without Greek life.

Go get 'em!

* note: if you find an alum and their organization is not represented at UT-Austin, they're still a valuable resource! Talk to them about their experience, ask their advice, and see if they can help you network with a friend from a sorority that IS represented at UT-Austin. Panhellenicism (is that a word?) does not end after college
Old 12-18-2008, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

other options at UT

I don't go to UT but my boyfriend is in a fraternity there. The great thing about UT is that Greek life is strong but does not dominate campus life. College board says only 14% of women join sororities at UT. I'm not sure how accurate that is but if it is close to the actual amount, then you will meet LOTS of girls who aren't in sororities. Another great thing is that UT has some awesome women's organizations that aren't traditional NPC sororities, but they have similar functions. For example, Texas Spirits has been around campus for over 60 years. They do a lot of school spirit activities such as painting the windows of local businesses with longhorns and stuff. They get dressed up for the games in "Spirit attire" and I've heard it's really fun. There's also Texas Lonestars, Wrangler Darlings, Texas Honeys, Lassos, etc. These organizations have mixers with the fraternities on campus just like sororities do.

Here is the website for Spirits http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/spirits/
Wrangler Darlins http://www.wranglerdarlins.org/
Lassos http://studentorgs.utexas.edu/txlassos/
Lonestars http://www.texas-lonestars.com/spirit.html

Don't let the competitive nature of greek life at UT scare you! UT is a great school with a good campus life, greek or otherwise.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

We haven't heard from the OP since she started this thread, so hopefully she'll return to read all the great advice from people familiar with UT that has been posted so far.

With 20 years of hindsight, I can still say that I gained more in experience and skills that prepared me for "the real world" from my Greek involvement than any of my college coursework. I felt that way my first year out, and still do. This is not to say that another student organization couldn't offer the similar types of opportunities for leadership and friendship.

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership

Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

You may want to check with the local panhellenic organization in your community. You could probably meet with some of those folks and have them write you letters of recommeondations. Recs are great, but ultimatly it needs to be a good fit for both you and the Chapter. A PNM could have 100 recs and not have a good recruitment. A lot of it depends on you. I say go to dream school and participate in recruitment. You have nothing to loose and everything to gain. Good Luck to you.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 AM
GreekChat Member

There is tons of good advice in this post!!!
As much as I loved my Greek experience, it was not everything there is on a campus! UT is an amazing campus academically!!! If you want to join a sorority, do your research and enter recruitment! You will never know if you don't try!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Your post wasn't remotely offensive.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 12-30-2008, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
I didn't have this exact problem when I was deciding on colleges, but I was definitely concerned about how greek life would fit into my experience. My mom, grandmother, and great grandmother were all in the same NPC, and I felt a strong pull to carry on the tradition. However, that NPC wasn't on the campuses of two of my first choice schools, and while it was on the campus of one, greek life wasn't big there, and I wanted to have a *real* greek experience. That said, I ended up leaving the sorority thought OUT of my decision process. I figured where ever I ended up, I had to be happy with the school, location, classes, etc. before I worried about sororities. I figured if I didn't join a sorority, I could join some kind of social club or honor society.

I really think if UT-Austin is your dream school, you should go there. And honestly, if you are this interested so early along, you will be able to get recs. And if you show that enthusiasm during recruitment, SOMEONE will notice and want you on board. Just keep reading GC and by next Fall, you will be beating them off with a stick!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Sorry. Just trying to be extra sensitive because I don't want anyone to think I'm spreading assumptions about UT sororities.*

I know I haven't replied to this thread in WEEKS, but I really wanted to stop in and thank everyone for taking the time to give me advice about recruitment at UT. I've been doing a lot of soul-searching lately, and I'm still struggling with my decision, so I've been trying to take some time to think about it all. I know that being in a sorority, while it would be a wonderful experience, would not define me as a person, and not being in one does not defeat the purpose of a fabulous education.

I truly do appreciate all of the advice. Thank you all.

*Oh, and I absolutely do NOT believe that I am remotely guaranteed a bid if I attend a different university! I was just throwing that out as a way to weigh my chances, which would be *higher* at a less competitive school.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Banned

Just a thought but if you go to UT and don't make it into a sorority or decide UT does not meet your expectations for whatever reason you don't have to stay there. You are obviously are a good student so if you study hard at UT and make good grades you should be able to transfer as a sophomore to about any state school in the midwest other than possibly the U of Michigan. While this does not solve your sorority problem as rushing as a sophomore is very difficult at any school at least it would get you out of UT.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
Just a thought but if you go to UT and don't make it into a sorority or decide UT does not meet your expectations for whatever reason you don't have to stay there. You are obviously are a good student so if you study hard at UT and make good grades you should be able to transfer as a sophomore to about any state school in the midwest other than possibly the U of Michigan. While this does not solve your sorority problem as rushing as a sophomore is very difficult at any school at least it would get you out of UT.
Why in the world would she want to transfer out of UT if she didn't get into a sorority? She said in her first post that it's her dream school.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

It is not all that unusual for someone to transfer following an unsucessful rush, just to get out and go somewhere else. I know it happens at Vanderbilt.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
It is not all that unusual for someone to transfer following an unsucessful rush, just to get out and go somewhere else. I know it happens at Vanderbilt.
I can kind of understand this, but most of the big Greek schools like UT are HUGE schools with very large student populations, most of whom are NOT involved in Greek Life.

Is it possible for someone to NOT get a bid at UT and STILL have a GREAT experience there (in other clubs and such)?

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM
Banned

I would never tell anyone that you can't have a great college experience after begin cut because you can. What I am trying to say is if it really bothers you so much it could be that a change of scenery is the right thing. I would never criticize anyone who made that decision.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is it possible for someone to NOT get a bid at UT and STILL have a GREAT experience there (in other clubs and such)?
ABSOLUTELY!!! There are Spirit Groups, there are clubs, there are over 40,000 people there, the opportunities to get involved on campus are endless! It's up to the student to go out and find a niche.

Only a small percentage are greek, so most people you will meet in classes or in campus organizations aren't in a sorority/fraternity.