GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,418
3 members and 1,415 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 09-06-2018, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone, first off, thank you for all the responses, advice, and things to consider! I just wanted to give everyone an update on how things have gone so far.

So I called the Greek Life office and explained how I dropped for a mixture of reasons, one being that it just didn't feel right at the time (with the houses and also just with me in general, especially being so indecisive) and two that I need to really focus on the medical issue I'm in recovery from at the moment. She let me know that two of the chapters are doing COB right now, this very week, but we talked it over and both agreed that waiting to see how I feel next Spring or Fall would probably be best.

I've actually kept in touch with a lot of the girls who I met this last weekend- a few from some of the houses have actually reached out to me and said that if I ever need some help around the university to let them know, and I'm actually planning to get coffee sometime with one of my Rho Ghammas. I talked to the president of one of the houses that I had the pleasure of going to on pref night and told her my scenario, and she was very kind and we both said we looked forward to potentially seeing each other in the spring.

I'm also still talking to a lot of the girls I met during rush who pledged- I've found a few of them in my classes and I've got contact information for practically all of them! I'm planning on hanging out with them too.
Overall, I'm slowly coming to the point where I'm glad I went with my gut feeling, especially as I feel that now I have some time to really settle down at my university and better my health before committing to something as big as a sorority. A good friend of mine at another university also told me she has a similar experience where it just didn't work out in the fall, but in the spring she found her way back into Greek life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
I'm kind of concerned that you mention your sisters joining and then withdrawing, and then you went through recruitment and dropped and are seeming wishy washy. Membership is for life and chapters want members who are dedicated and steadfast in their decision to join. This isn't like joining an intramural sports team... and I'm not sure you're expressing in your post that you really get that..... I'd think about that before thinking about really reaching out to greek life or the chapters.....
With my sisters' cases, they were actually dealing with certain health issues (similar to mine) at the time at which they withdrew. I think it was just the intense need to really put a lot of time and effort into recovery before putting time and effort into a sisterhood. I mean, you can't really give your all to a cause or group when you need your all for yourself at the time. But that being said, I'm glad that I'm taking that time now before I do, as you said, make a lifetime decision like joining a sorority. I would want to really explore sisterhood to the fullest rather than only have one foot in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It is sad that you judged all of the chapters so harshly, with such a short time to get to know them. You still had options, but declined them both. I don't know if you can come out of this with a bid or not. Let us know what happens.
Yeah, I think I just overall had a harder time with the formal rush process, with how quickly it went and how difficult it was to really get a feel for each of the houses. By the end though I don't think I was really thinking so much about what each of the houses/chapters were like, but how I thought I might feel/fit in in them. I genuinely felt that overall all the girls I met were nice, I just didn't really feel confident in myself where I was at. I think taking more time to potentially get to know people at my school in the sororities and to just get comfortable with college life will be a good thing for me as of now.
And if I do end up rushing in the Spring or next Fall, I'm going to try and go at it with more of an open mind. Having talked a bit more to some of the girls from one of the houses I did go to pref night for, I can see that I probably would've eventually found my place there if I had joined, but I do think the way things went happened for a reason. If I end up there again next time, or somewhere else, hopefully I'll be more confident (or at least ready to work and see how things go) in whatever decision I make.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that making the decision to concentrate on regaining your health should be paramount now. Stay connected to the women that you met during recruitment and any of the GLO members that you meet on campus. Good luck to you in the future.