GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,655
3 members and 2,652 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 07-07-2000, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Question The correct way to do research

I am a non-greek looking to be greek in the future. So my question what is the right way to research the organization you're interested in(be it npc,bglo,or latina) What types of things should a prospective know? What type of questions should the prospective be asking themselves as they are doing their research.
Should the prospective pretend that glo is a company and do research based upon as if they were going to get a job at that company(ie what has the organization contriubed to the community,what are long and short range goals for the organization, etc)

Thanks in advance
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-07-2000, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

prospectiverushee,

First let me say that I am very glad that you realize the importance of doing some research on an affiliation that will be with you for the rest of your life. In terms of how to do research. Depending on which orgainzation you are interested in, their are books that you can get in most libraries or book stores. I tell all propective Delta's to find IN SEARCH OF SISTERHOOD by Paula Giddings. I think that Alpha Kappa Alpha and Zeta Phi Beta have similar types of books on the purpose and history of the orgainzation, but a member of those organizations could tell you beter. Also, don't underestimate the importance of getting to know a member of the orgainzations that are "in the running" and ask some of the questions that you would like to have answered, but remember, these are secret societies, and they may not tell you some things that you would want to know.

In terms of how to make the decision, I hear a lot of people talk about "what's in their heart", and to an extent that's true. I have a lot of confidence in my persuasive ability, and I believe that given enough time, I could talk a good portion of the young ladies I deal with that Delta is an organization worth belonging to, but if I have to convince you of that, what kind of member would you be? How long would you be committed? It's more that a job. You may work at Microsoft, but you won't wake up every morning BEING Microsoft. Do understand the difference? Find the orgainzation who fits the philosophy of your life. Find the one that you would be an asset to. Pledge the organization who's letters you would wear proudly and who's honor you would protect come what may. And maybe most importantly, Sororities and Fraternities are sister and brotherhoods, and you won't always like what everyone dose or says. Find the organization who strikes you so deeply, that if your worst enemy were to pledge that same orgainization, you could find a way to love them and be a sister/brother to them JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE FAMILY!

I hope that helps.

------------------
If you can't raise conciousness, at least raise hell!--Rita Mae Brown
Old 07-08-2000, 01:37 AM

If you're thinking about joining a BGLO research is extremely important before you attend interest meetings. Basically if you can get access to it: read, learn, know it. That's been my understanding from previous posts. I believe Asian and Hispanic GLOs work the same way, but I may be wrong about that.

With NPC you can find out what chapters are at your campus and check out their webpages. However thorough(sp?) research isn't required. It's not really all that encouraged. The Rush/Recruitment method is radically different from NPHC. With NPC you make your decision based on a chapter level and grow to love the national org. With NPHC it's the other way around. I feel like as long as in the end we all love our GLOs it's all good.

Thinking of recruitment as a hiring process isn't too far off. Ask yourself what you want to contribute and get out of the glo? What qualities do you have that will be an assest? What previous experience do you have that has prepared you to be part of this org?

Good Luck
Old 07-08-2000, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Smile

I would like to thank everyone who took time out to respond to my question. Trying to find the sorority that best suits me is very difficult. Since I started doing my research, I've found some amazing organizations that I would love to be a part of. Narrowing down my choices is not as easy as I thought it would be cause everyday, I find another organization that was there the day before.

I know everyone would tell me the best advice is to go thur rush and then the choice would then become clearer. That would be really easy, but 3 of sororites that I'm interested in do not have a chapter at my school.

Again I do appericate everyone who to time out to comment. I really have learned alot for posting and reading other post from this board.
Old 07-08-2000, 09:07 AM
Artimis

One important piece of research to do is within yourself. Sitting down and making a list of what you want and expect out of a sisterhood helps you to better forcus on which sisterhood will match your needs and ideals. Sometimes you will just "click" with an organization - but deep down you know your list has been fulfilled.

Good Luck with your research and Even more with your desision

Jenn
Old 07-08-2000, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Talking

Quote:
If you're thinking about joining a BGLO research is extremely important before you attend interest meetings. Basically if you can get access to it: read, learn, know it. That's been my understanding from previous posts. I believe Asian and Hispanic GLOs work the same way, but I may be wrong about that.
Yep! It's the same for LGLO's.

------------------
Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Hasta La Muerte!