GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,468
2 members and 2,466 guests
No Members online

Old 09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question To Old to be an AXiD?

So, I realize I'm a little late in the game. I became an AXiD in 1999 and loved every minute of it! After a year and a half I left school to pursue a career. Having left that career I find myself back at school and not knowing a single person here! I remember my times from before and miss the interaction of the girls while I'm on campus. So my question is... am I too old and am I trying to recapture what is lost? I'm about to be 29 but I don't feel 29, don't look 29 and surely don't act 29!

So, should I re-affiliate with my chapter or should I leave the past in the past?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2008, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
If you left school that long ago, aren't you an alum now?
Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't graduate. I left school as a sophmore.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Even though you left school without graduating, you are still classified as an alum ... as long as you left school in good standing. If you aren't sure of your status, contact fraternity headquarters and ask.

Contact information can be found at http://www.alphaxidelta.org

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAXiD View Post
So, I realize I'm a little late in the game. I became an AXiD in 1999 and loved every minute of it! After a year and a half I left school to pursue a career. Having left that career I find myself back at school and not knowing a single person here! I remember my times from before and miss the interaction of the girls while I'm on campus. So my question is... am I too old and am I trying to recapture what is lost? I'm about to be 29 but I don't feel 29, don't look 29 and surely don't act 29!

So, should I re-affiliate with my chapter or should I leave the past in the past?
I realize I'm crashing your forum here, but I just wanted to say that I'm also 29 -- and I know that just by interacting with some of my chapter's current collegians, there's NWIH I'd want to be a collegian again with them. Don't get me wrong, they're great girls and I am proud to call them my sisters, but we have absolutely nothing in common. Some of them are 10 years younger than me, most (if not all) of them behave and act differently that the crowd I associate with.

If it were even possible for you to be a collegian again, it may present an awkward situation for the collegians as well.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I didn't make sense

I left school after Fall of 2000 as a Sophomore. This Fall I re-entered school as a Sophmore. Being that all my sisters have graduated, I don't know anyone at school to talk to, have lunch with or spend the 3 hours between classes with. I surely don't want to go to socials or party with these girls. I have friends my own age at home to go out with. Sometimes I just think it would be nice to have a social outlet while here during the day. I guess I am too old to be an AXiD.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm crashing, too, but let me encourage you to volunteer to work with the chapter as an advisor. Contact the chapter's advisory board chairman - the girls can probably connect you. Working as an advisor gives you a rich, new appreciation for your sorority. And it's great fun! Good luck!

Old 09-18-2008, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
I wouldn't say you're to old to be an Alpha Xi ... you are certainly younger than I am .. I was initiated in 1971. I'm very much still an Alpha Xi and involved as an alumnae.

Get involved with the alumnae association, get involved as an advisor, all are great options. If you'll pm me your school, I'll put you in touch with someone.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAXiD View Post
I left school after Fall of 2000 as a Sophomore. This Fall I re-entered school as a Sophmore. Being that all my sisters have graduated, I don't know anyone at school to talk to, have lunch with or spend the 3 hours between classes with. I surely don't want to go to socials or party with these girls. I have friends my own age at home to go out with. Sometimes I just think it would be nice to have a social outlet while here during the day. I guess I am too old to be an AXiD.
There's no such thing as "too old".

I would try to contact their Chapter Advisor. Maybe she could introduce you to some of the collegians and you can let them know that you're a returning student and you'll be on campus if anyone would like to meet up for lunch.

Ditto on getting involved at the alumnae level!
Old 09-18-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Technically speaking, you can if:

1. You became an alumna in good standing instead of withdrawing.
2. You are working on your first bachelor's degree.
3. The chapter with which you wish to affiliate votes to accept you.

Assuming #1 and #2 are true, your biggest hurdle is #3. I don't know how traditional or non-traditional your current school is, so I can't comment on whether it would be realistic of you to be accepted.

At most schools, I would not expect a chapter to vote to accept a 29 year old. So, unless your school is an exception to the rule, I'd advise you to channel your renewed enthusiasm for AXiD in other ways, like:

1. Advising
2. Becoming involved in the nearest alumnae chapter
3. Starting an alumnae chapter if there is none and if there are alumnae in the area (HQ can probably help you out with this).
4. Meeting the collegians (lunch is a great idea!).
Old 09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd suggest you join something like Alpha Phi Omega or a professional GLO, if you want to be active on campus. There seems to be more age diversity in those types of GLOs on many campuses. I was active in APO as a grad student, from ages 24-26, and we had students all the way up the early 30s. Personally, I had more fun (and freedom) there, than the social sorority I pledged.

If you are 29, but don't look/feel/act 29, I don't think becoming an advisor may be a good idea. I'm 27 and a recent alum, but young at heart like you, there's NO WAY on earth I would like to do advising! You won't have any fun, you will be babysitting!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with what most have said, however I disagree with Dionysus. I'm about the same age as you and serve as an advisor for a chapter and I don't feel at all like it's babysitting. It's definitely more than just being friends though, since you're offering guidance and support, but I certainly don't feel like a babysitter. I will say I'm not Chapter Advisor, which I think is more responsibility than some of the other advisors, but being an advisor can be a great way to bond with chapter members.

However, since it sounds like you're really just looking for more social interaction with chapter members while on campus, then I would not suggest becoming an advisor. Your best bet is probably joining an active alum association and from there participating in events where you meet both collegians and alums. Hopefully after meeting people you'll be able to find collegians to hang out with around campus.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I started advising at 25 (graduated at 24 from a different campus). If you are looking to meet sisters, sure go for it. Would I join active chapter, probably not, but I would embrace the women. You may find that doing something like advising offers you the sisterhood you are looking for. Advising was a Godsend to me. It allowed me to still be actively involved with AZD, but I can live my own life at the same time. Plus, watching the girls grow up in chapter is an amazing experience.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I would suggest getting involved on an alum basis. Volunteering for advisory boards, corp boards, etc. I have gotten back into helping out my chapter and I'm now almost 36. I love seeing how much has changed, yet how some things have stayed the same (and that is a good thing). But, I couldn't imagine being an active and living in a house w/ 51 other women and also having a housemother again. EEK!!
Old 09-19-2008, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'd say get involved on the alum level as an advisor, housing corp member, or with the local alumnae association. You might find that you have as much in common with these women as you did with you chapter sisters the first time you were an undergrad. What ever you decide I wish you the best of luck.

War Eagle