GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,200
5 members and 2,195 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt

Old 08-09-2008, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

An Alum writing a Rec for me but waiting for membership# and deadline soon!? Advice?

Well, I've been a long time lurker and never really posted any threads. Anyway, I'm rushing this fall and I know this super nice lady who is really enthusiatic about writing me a rec for the chapter of a sorority represented at my school.

The deadline for recommendations is only a couple days away. At first, she told me that she would really love to write me a rec and it would definitely be in by the deadline (this was about 1.5 weeks ago). Anyway, she had some problems with her membership number a couple days ago when she was about to send it in and is now waiting for a response from member services for her membership number.

I told her that she didn't really need a membership number and graduation year/college/chapter would suffice (considering she graduated from college 15 years ago.) but she insisted believing that the rec would be more "valid." She also told me she wants to contact the chapter sorority at my university and let them know that my rec would be in a bit late because of the delay of her membership number.

I don't really know what I'm asking, but do you think the rec would still be accepted? Has there ever been similar situations? Um advice/comments would be really appreciated as I don't know a lot about sororities/recruitment.

Thanks!

Fanne
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM

I would graciously tell her that you are really wanting the best chance possible at her sorority, so you are nervous about the rec arriving too late to be processed properly. You might suggest that she send the rec with a note that the membership number will follow as soon as she hears back from member services. That way the chapter has the information about you, and only lacks the technicality (assuring them that it is from an actual member.) If she still doesn't go for it, I would call your alumnae panhellenic and get another rec.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:14 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAnne View Post
Well, I've been a long time lurker and never really posted any threads. Anyway, I'm rushing this fall and I know this super nice lady who is really enthusiatic about writing me a rec for the chapter of a sorority represented at my school.

The deadline for recommendations is only a couple days away. At first, she told me that she would really love to write me a rec and it would definitely be in by the deadline (this was about 1.5 weeks ago). Anyway, she had some problems with her membership number a couple days ago when she was about to send it in and is now waiting for a response from member services for her membership number.

I told her that she didn't really need a membership number and graduation year/college/chapter would suffice (considering she graduated from college 15 years ago.) but she insisted believing that the rec would be more "valid." She also told me she wants to contact the chapter sorority at my university and let them know that my rec would be in a bit late because of the delay of her membership number.

I don't really know what I'm asking, but do you think the rec would still be accepted? Has there ever been similar situations? Um advice/comments would be really appreciated as I don't know a lot about sororities/recruitment.

Thanks!

Fanne
Please don't get yourself all worried about this.

Most, if not all, NPC sororities have member directories that can be accessed online. If the chapter wanted to verify the writer's membership, first and last name, chapter, and year of initiation will be all they'll need. Still, I'm only speaking for my own sorority. I'm not familiar with rec forms for other groups.

I can't say for sure if the rec would still be accepted because that's really up to the chapter, but I would just trust in your rec writer...even if she doesn't really know the system.

If you can, try and get another rec writer to get that in for you.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Which sorority is this for? A member of that sorority should be able to tell you whether your recommender will need the membership number.

I doubt it is Sigma Kappa. Our rec form doesn't ask for our membership number, but even if it did, I could find mine on any of my Sigma Kappa Triangle magazines.

ETA: Sigma Kappa also has a membership directory online to verify membership.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Many glo's have membership numbers and/or initiation dates inscribed on the back of their pins.... ask her to look there!

Good luck with recruitment!
Old 08-09-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
Which sorority is this for? A member of that sorority should be able to tell you whether your recommender will need the membership number.

I doubt it is Sigma Kappa. Our rec form doesn't ask for our membership number, but even if it did, I could find mine on any of my Sigma Kappa Triangle magazines.

ETA: Sigma Kappa also has a membership directory online to verify membership.
We are the exact same way. I've never needed to list my member number on any rec form.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

We don't need membership numbers, either. In fact, our Executive Office is trying to do away with them on a chapter level.

If I were you, I'd focus of getting another alumna to do your rec. Maybe, just maybe, she'll stalling for a reason.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

maybe the alum is trying to log on to the sister only portion of her sorority's website to download the appropriate form and since she does not have access to her mem. # she can't get to the secured site?

if that is the case, she could just write a letter recommending you, being sure to list her full name( first middle last or first maiden last), chapter, initiation year and college. she should include the information that would be on her rec. form and any other information she thinks is important. it is better than no rec. or letter at all.

as otw said, the chapter will be able to verify the alums. membership if they need to.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I would think this piece of information would be very easy for her to get by just making a phone call to HQ. I actually know mine by heart, though that's probably an exception.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
If I were you, I'd focus on getting another alumna to do your rec. Maybe, just maybe, she's stalling for a reason.
Yup. That's what I thought too.

If the sorority is so huge that her member number IS required on the form, then they should have enough people working at their HQ that this was something that she could have found out with one phone call that took 5 minutes.

I'm not sure if it's about you or about her....but find someone else.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Another place for her to look is on the quarterly magazine her group sends out - mine has my badge number, my boyfriend's has his, and even my law fraternity has it on there!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I would think this piece of information would be very easy for her to get by just making a phone call to HQ. I actually know mine by heart, though that's probably an exception.
Then we must both be exceptions........
Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB View Post
Then we must both be exceptions........
count me in to
Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
count me in to
Me as well.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi there, so I did find another person to write my rec. The lady eventually sent it in, although a couple days late.

...Oh well, at least I know I have one in on time.

thanks for the help everyone! Wish me luck for rush!