GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,466
2 members and 1,464 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 04-30-2008, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Am I crazy and too old?

So, joining a sorority has always been something that I have been interested in. But for a number of reasons I have not be able to attend college full-time until now. I am 22 and will be a freshman this fall at the University of TN. I don't plan on doing formal recruitment but would like to try informal next spring. Would I have any chance? I know there are other threads about this topic but I was hoping for more specific answers about UT. Thanks for your help ladies!

P.S. I don't know if this would help you but I am very active in volunteer work with St. Jude and Making Memories Breast Cancer Foundation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ashlyn. Welcome to greekchat. Please do a search. Your question has been asked on here many times, including pretty recently.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Honestly I think you might have more options if you DID do formal this fall. Yes, you will probably be immediately released from some. But there aren't that many sororities that do spring recruitment at UT. Unless you would have a serious problem with the rejection, do FR. However, recommendation letters are a MUST for all the chapters. If you do FR, start on that NOW. Even if you don't do FR, it might help your chances in the spring to have letters for the chapter(s) who recruit in spring.

Don't forget that FR is before school starts, and you will need to register early. And just don't talk about your age to the other girls that are going through. If an active member asks you, have a prepared answer for why you waited four years and why your experiences in those four years will make you a good member (things like your service activities, etc.) DO NOT imply that you will be the "mother figure" or that you can get everyone in the pledge class beer since you will be of age. If you don't focus on it, they won't focus on it. If you talk about your great qualifications (whatever they may be), that's what people will remember. Not that you are 22. Make them remember you as the girl who spent 4 years volunteering in the jungle rather than the girl who is older than they are.

Something that you didn't mention but that you should be prepared for is to discuss your availability for sorority events and such. One of the reasons upperclassmen and older women are often passed over is that their priorities can be different. They may have a different level of commitment to outside employment, to family, to a boyfriend/child, etc. You are considered a non-traditional student. If you can demonstrate that your involvement will be the same as traditional students, that will help.

The UT Greek scene is an active one, and there is ALWAYS something going on to participate in. Some chapters REQUIRE this participation. If you can commit to being 100% active - for four years - then your chances of getting a bid (fall or spring) will be better.

I know this is long. Sorry about that! If you keep an open mind, consider all the options, and don't get insanely depressed when you get fewer invitations than some other girls, you have a decent chance. You never know until you try! Good luck!
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

jwright gave you great advice!!!

i would like to reiterate that your best bet would be to participate in formal recruitment as few sororities participate in spring informal recruitment.