GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,475
0 members and 2,475 guests
No Members online

Old 05-08-2006, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by tld221
one of my friends told me about this yesterday (it came up in conversation about the new Pikes on campus and how they get shut down at parties trying to stroll and such).

anyone hear anything about it? truth? rumor?

(i used the search function, found nothing. Mods: if this thread turns anything into the "Pikes at Howard" thread, feel to shut it down.)
No say it isn’t so, I thought the entire Greek community at Howard was going to welcome them with open arms. And why join a traditional white fraternity and try to take on BGLO characteristics?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-08-2006, 12:14 PM

Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by Reds6
And why join a traditional white fraternity and try to take on BGLO characteristics?

VERY good question. Why bring Pike on if all you're going to do is try to be like everyone else. If that's the case, then they should just try to join one of the NPHC's, since that's obviously the experience that they're going for.

It's like DST doing formal recruitment/bid day.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Banned

What's a stroll? Do guys walk around with canes and top hats, moving uniformly, and walking like those cartoon characters from the 1970s where your legs come out 2 feet ahead of your torso every time you move forward? How do you pick up girls unless they're all in a line strolling and moving uniformly also? It's gotta be hard.

I'm not much for hats and canes given my youth and all, but I'd be willing to learn how to walk like that.

-Rudey
Old 05-08-2006, 01:15 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
VERY good question. Why bring Pike on if all you're going to do is try to be like everyone else. If that's the case, then they should just try to join one of the NPHC's, since that's obviously the experience that they're going for.

All the hispanic, asian, and multi-cultural organizations do that. They started this whole mess I heard.

-Rudey
Old 05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:

I think groups tend to conform to the campus culture. These guys don't know any different, so they don't know it's "right" or "wrong."
Old 05-08-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Is there something wrong with a predominately white GLO chartering a chapter at an NON-white school such as Howard? Was there something wrong with a predominately black GLO chartering a chapter at a NON-black school such as Columbia University? It shouldn't matter the racial predominance, as long as the organizational structure is solid and members are working together to achieve that common purpose.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGenius Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGenius
Pike's Strolling at Howard?

If they really want to be members of Pi Kappa Alpha then they would subscribe to the ideals and traditions of that organization...typically. Traditionally that means no strolling or party walking. (Although I have seen some Sig Ep's stroll and the DZ's at Auburn should have won that last stepshow FORREAL!)

Is this becoming a 2nd option for guys who have a)been rejected from an NPHC organization or b) don't want to go through an NPHC "process"?

This is a very interesting scenario nonetheless. A predominately white org. chartering at an HBCU and it's colony members taking on traits of predominately black organizations. Traditionally Black greek traditions juxtapositioned against traditionally White greek traditions...I will continue watching this.

Last edited by PhrozenGenius; 05-08-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhrozenGenius Send a message via Yahoo to PhrozenGenius
Quote:
Originally posted by f8nacn
Is there something wrong with a predominately white GLO chartering a chapter at an NON-white school such as Howard? Was there something wrong with a predominately black GLO chartering a chapter at a NON-black school such as Columbia University? It shouldn't matter the racial predominance, as long as the organizational structure is solid and members are working together to achieve that common purpose.
I don't think it's wrong at all. I don't have a problem with them chartering there. I just think that if you join a fraternity and attempt to emulate another one you could have just joined the fraternity you're emulating. You're doing your fraternity a major disservice by emulating someone else's organization.

I'm a member of Alpha Phi Alpha. If I was to ride around on the back of a truck with a Confederate battle uniform in a motorcade like our KA's do during Old South weekend, I would get pretty strange looks from NPC and IFC organizations for it, as well as my NPHC counterparts....
Old 05-08-2006, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's not the fact that they're chartering there. It's the fact that they emulate the existing fraternities. You would think that the point of them chartering would be for them to offer something different than the existing groups. I don't understand why they wouldn't just attempt to join an existing fraternity, if they're just going to copy their traditions.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's not the fact that they're chartering there. It's the fact that they emulate the existing fraternities. You would think that the point of them chartering would be for them to offer something different than the existing groups. I don't understand why they wouldn't just attempt to join an existing fraternity, if they're just going to copy their traditions.
Was your sorority the first sorority ever and all others that followed it copied your traditions? Or did you guys get founded later?

-Rudey
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tri-Delta coming to Howard?

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiD670
I think groups tend to conform to the campus culture. These guys don't know any different, so they don't know it's "right" or "wrong."
It isn't about "right" or "wrong." Just "predictably comical."

I hope the OP's question was answered. In the end, this will be another "let's talk about the same things over and over again" thread.

Old 05-08-2006, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Do guys walk around with canes and top hats, moving uniformly, and walking like those cartoon characters from the 1970s where your legs come out 2 feet ahead of your torso every time you move forward?
Ah, the art of Robert Crumb. I feel like a kid again!

Old 05-08-2006, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Is there something wrong with a predominately white GLO chartering a chapter at an NON-white school such as Howard? Was there something wrong with a predominately black GLO chartering a chapter at a NON-black school such as Columbia University?

Someone please dig up those old threads and combine them so folks don't have to ask the same questions and receive the same answers.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: thrown a curve

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I think he means Kappas as in Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, not Kappas as in Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Thanks. Seriously. I needed that.

enigma_AKA
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Someone please dig up those old threads and combine them so folks don't have to ask the same questions and receive the same answers.
Being that I was reading this forum....I asked the question! I will perform a search to see previous discussions...however, if there was something WRONG with my questions, then why not send me a PM telling me that...instead of doing so through the board.