GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,673
0 members and 2,673 guests
No Members online

Old 06-02-2000, 10:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation AKA Message Thread Moved

I am concerned as to the REAL reason why the message thread regarding Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc. was removed. Before I decided to post this topic, I decided to some research from past posts in this forum. Mr. Moderator, I found that there have been several topics regarding specific GLO (including BGLOs) in the Greek Life section. They were not moved to that organizations forum. Why? Go back and check the last 100 days and you all will see what I am talking about. On May 25, there was the Zeta Love topic, on May 22, there was the Delta Phi Epsilon topic, on May 14, there was the Tri Delta and DG topic, on May 10, there was the Sigma Kappa topic, and on April 25, there was the Delta Chi topic. I know there were plenty of others, but you should be able to get my point. Yes, I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc. therefore I am biased. And yes, it if very perplexing to me as to why this thread was closed and moved to our forum and others have not! I am concerned about fairness. If you are going to move and close threads, make sure you do it for ALL ORGANIZATIONS!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2000, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Did you actually read the posts or did you just look and see that the topics were still there? John posted a message to the Zeta Love topic after someone complained they couldn't find it 2 days after it was posted. He said he moved it to the Zeta area. The DPhiE topic was asking "anyone" for information on that group, as was the case with the Sigma Kappa and Delta Chi posts. and the Tri Delta/DG post was asking "anyone" about 2 orgs at a particular school. I honestly don't think it's an "anti-AKA" issue, unless, of course, you want it to be.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-02-2000, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
AKA2D '91-The Zeta Love topic was moved to our forum. The new one that is on the board is the young woman was concerned that the topic was deleted and the moderator explained that he had moved it to our forum. I can think of other instances where a topic pertaining to a specific GLO was moved. It is definitely not an anti-AKA issue.

ZetaAce
Old 06-02-2000, 11:04 PM
Roadkitten

well said Soror
Old 06-02-2000, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Regardless of what was in the posts...if we are to have ANY discussions about a particular organization, then place them ALL in their rightful place.
The other posts listed were not CLOSED! The only one that I have seen closed was that recent AKA thread. If I am wrong, let me know! It's the principle of the situation!
(I used the wrong "principle" at first)

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-03-2000, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
It would have been rude to just remove the topic all together. You can still continue the discussion. Just not on the Greek Life board. GL is a forum for broad topical issues.

The point was the actual thread was in an inappropriate place. If the thread is directed to a specific organization, that topic should be in the specific organization's forum.

It's really about keeping things organized. John(the moderator/administrator) is fair in his workings. He has no reason to have a personal vendetta against aka. It was not the least bit personal. It was business.

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91:
Regardless of what was in the posts...if we are to have ANY discussions about a particular organization, then place them ALL in their rightful place.
The other posts listed were not CLOSED! The only one that I have seen closed was that recent AKA thread. If I am wrong, let me know! It's the principal of the situation!

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Old 06-03-2000, 08:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

That was a stupid thing moving those posts. My post asked what the opinion of Delta CHi was, so why would I want it in the Delta Chi forum? Of course members of the org are going to have a good opinion of it!!!!
Old 06-03-2000, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I never said the moderator had a personal vendetta against the sorority, but he is the moderator of this forum. He chooses what stays and what goes, what is closed, and what remains open. What I wanted to know was why move and close the thread when there were other threads that had not been closed? That was my concern! It has been stated that threads were moved to that respective organization's forum. I am not really interested in what's said or going on in other group's forums. If it's in the General forum and it deals with AKA, HBCUS, BGLO's, etc. then I am there, if not I am in the AKA forum, checking out whazzzzz up!

[This message has been edited by AKA2D '91 (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-03-2000, 02:50 PM
Administrator

AKA2D '91, all other messages that were moved to specific forum areas were deleted from the Greek Life forum. I left this recent message thread closed in the Greek Life forum after moving it to the AKA forum because it was becoming a popular thread and I didn't want anyone left wondering where it went if I simply moved & deleted it. My intention was/is to leave that message closed in the Greek Life forum for only a few days so anyone participating in that thread will have a chance to see where the topic was moved to, then it will be deleted (not deleted from the AKA forum, only the Greek Life forum).

The other threads you referred to in your first post above were not moved to their specific forums because of the context of those messages. Jae, your post regarding Delta Chi was not moved either, for the reasons you specify - you were asking for an unbiased opinion about Delta Chi in that message.

The first post of the AKA thread that this topic is about starts out with: LADIES, YOU ARE GREAT!!! You continue to prove how true that is. I admire AKA so much for all that she is. You have helped me (scholarship ) and others tremendously. Today, I saw your "shield"....
http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000343.html

That message thread was directed specifically towards AKA, that is the only reason it was moved. Please understand that whenever messages are moved/closed/deleted it is never because of any kind of bias towards specific organizations. Like "Finer Woman10-A-91" stated above, it really is only about keeping things organized within the forums.

Here are two links to threads with discussions related to this one:

Topic: Administrators please read--PSS convention http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000259.html

Topic: Zeta Love http://www.greekchat.com/forums/ubb/...ML/000362.html

------------------
John Hammell
Network Administrator, GreekChat.com
Old 06-03-2000, 02:58 PM
Administrator

By the way, I appreciate your feedback and concern. These kinds of discussions help to keep us all *on our toes* with regards to fair treatment of message threads & individual posts.

------------------
John Hammell
Network Administrator, GreekChat.com

[This message has been edited by John Hammell (edited June 03, 2000).]
Old 06-03-2000, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, John.

Soror AKA2D,
I can honestly say that John is not biased againgst our organization. The thread was just moved to the AKA message board and you can still post under the topic.
Old 06-03-2000, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I am thankful to our moderator, John for his input. Let me say that I tried not to "attack" the moderator personally. That was not my intention. My intention was to find out the rationale behind his decision to move and close... It is his job to decide what should be posted throughout this forum, so quite naturally I would direct any concerns to him. Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is very dear to me. It has been for many years and will continue to be for many years to come. So whenever there is something concerning Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc., the organization as a whole, or a Soror... done or said in my prescence... I will be there to make a "joyful noise" SKEEE WEEE!