GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,161
0 members and 1,161 guests
No Members online

Old 09-29-2004, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Ohio State Rush! Finally!

We're finally beginning recruitment here at OSU! Since we're on quarters and do formal recruitment Winter Quarter we have informal in the fall and spring. I'm so excited that I decided I had to post and share my excitement w/ everyone! (Yes, I know I am a huge dork )

Last night we kicked off informal fall with something we'd never done before. Girls came around to all of the houses in rounds kind of like FR and spend 18 minutes at each house getting a house tour and some info about each chapter. We have 14 sororities that participate in Pan-Hel recruitment:

Alpha Chi Omega
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Phi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Delta Zeta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi

It was kind of strange in that we had PNMs from both sides of the spectrum. There were girls who were so excited to be there and couldn't wait to find out more. Then there were those who looked like we were torturing them by making them drink lemonade and talk about themselves. Overall we had a really good turnout and I talked to about four girls that I would love to see in my house. There were two that I could totally see as my littles!

We're having another COB on Thursday and after that we might extend about 4 to 6 bids to sophomores if we find some really great girls! I'm very excited and now I really can't wait until FR!

Good luck to all the chapters at OSU this quarter!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-29-2004, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
The houses at OSU are HUGE! I mean FREAKING GIGANTIC! it's so funny that there are these huge houses at OSU, but at Otterbein we get pledge classes of 9! hehe. Takes all kinds.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:03 PM

It sounds like things are going well so far at OSU. I've gotten some good feedback from the AOII chapter (I'm currently their Corp Board President) about OSU's fall recruitment plans. I think the implementation of the Open House round is just amazing progress for OSU's Panhellenic. Trust me when I say that OSU recruitment can be a rather interesting beast

Lots of luck to everyone participating in informal fall recruitment at Ohio State!

Christin
Old 10-01-2004, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The houses at OSU are HUGE! I mean FREAKING GIGANTIC! it's so funny that there are these huge houses at OSU, but at Otterbein we get pledge classes of 9! hehe. Takes all kinds.
LOL...I have never heard that one before. Last year there were only two houses which reached total (Kappa Alpha Theta and Kappa Delta) and total is only 100. We usually hear about how small all of our houses are for being such a HUGE campus. (Of course our physical houses are all pretty big but the chapters themselves are pretty small ) I mean we're now the largest university in world and less than eight percent of the women (and there are more than 25,000) are sorority women.

Compared to large southern schools these numbers are pretty sad especially when you look at the sororities represented at OSU and how strong they all are nationally. I would love to see Ohio State take some steps towards strengthening and enlarging its Greek system.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow I never knew total was so low at Ohio State-- I figured OSU was just like Miami U in numbers!!

Well now you can join The University of Akron-- where we have less than 3% (I believe) of students in sororities and fraternities-- and have approx. 20,000 undergrads.

But just like when I went to grade school and HS (the classes were small)-- I like smaller better-- it gives you the chance to get to know everyone better and gives you even more opportunities to get involved!

Good luck to all of the chapters at OSU this fall with informal recruitment!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to the OSU chapters!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

I've been to the DG house at OSU and it was absolutely beautiful!!!! The rest of the houses on that street are stunning also!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
When you compare the size of the school to the size of the sororities, their houses are actually quite small. I go to Miami University, a much smaller school than OSU, but our quota is usually set somewhere in the 50's for 17 sororities. I guess it's all in your perspective...

ps- KDBuckeye, one of my friends from high school is an Alpha Phi at OSU!
Old 10-02-2004, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

One of the girls who pledged at my chapter transferred to OSU, so she's living in the DG house there. Also, my aunt is an AZD from there (she's in here sixties, so it's been a while). I'd be interested to hear news of how everything's going.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:54 PM

I can report that things are going well for AOII so far!
Old 10-02-2004, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to school in Columbus last year (not OSU) but I know a lot of people there and just want to wish all the PNM there good luck! OSU's an awesome school!
Old 10-02-2004, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
See, while Otterbein only has 3000 students, 2000 of them traditional undergrads...30% of our campus is greek.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

If OSU just changed three things about sorority recruitment the Greek system would really grow and evolve.

1) Get rid of deferred recruitment. Hold formal rush fall quarter so freshman women looking to make this huge school a little smaller will consider sororities.

2) Up the total number of girls allowed from 100 to 150. There are plenty of girls who don't rush at all because they know how competitive it is because of this low total.

3) Up quota from 25 (maybe 35?). If quota is 25 and there are 15 sororities that means a maximum of 375 girls can get bids. If there were to be 500 girls going through rush a large number wouldn't be able to get bids at all and so many girls are so dejected by that they don't want to bother with it and won't even think of considering COB later.

If these changes were made I feel Ohio State's Greek system could begin to become very large and very strong. It's such an impressive university and could have an impressive Greek society as well. Ok, that's my little tyraid about OSU's policies and rules.

We're holding MSS after chapter tonight and we'll possibly give out 3-6 sophomore bids. I'm very excited and hopefully we'll have a great fall pledge class!

P.S. ADqtPiMel - the Alpha Phis here are great girls as I'm sure you know! They are very sweet and have an awesome reputation on campus.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDBuckeye
3) Up quota from 25 (maybe 35?). If quota is 25 and there are 15 sororities that means a maximum of 375 girls can get bids. If there were to be 500 girls going through rush a large number wouldn't be able to get bids at all and so many girls are so dejected by that they don't want to bother with it and won't even think of considering COB later.
Your quota is set before you know the amount of girls going through? It is always the same? I have never heard of that!! I always thought quotas were ever changing because you divide the amount of girls going through recruitment by the number of sororities on campus!! That does sound like a big issue!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, we've had a quota set at 25 for the past three years at least. PHA has talked of raising this number recently based on a growing number of rushees each year but so far no action has been taken. It's a pretty pathetic system isn't it?
Old 10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDBuckeye
Yes, we've had a quota set at 25 for the past three years at least. PHA has talked of raising this number recently based on a growing number of rushees each year but so far no action has been taken. It's a pretty pathetic system isn't it?
Wow, that's interesting. I've never heard of a system like that before.