GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,179
1 members and 1,178 guests
No Members online

Old 11-14-2002, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
A Penn State Sorority Girl Accused of Leaving Child

If you have a kid don't leave it at home alone.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/111..._psuparty.html
Old 11-14-2002, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I am left speechless. How do you figure that the baby will be fine if the door is locked? WTF? I'm beyond upset and very saddened to have learned that that happened. Let's lock up the mother and then ask her if she's fine!
Old 11-14-2002, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I am shocked... that is sick and disturbing. going out to a party is more important that taking care of your child now... this is why people should need a license for a child. i can't believe all she asked was is the door locked... if people who were supposed to be watching my child left - the $hit would hit the fan.

apparently she's a sigma lambda gamma
Old 11-14-2002, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Crazy. . .Are the people she left the child with being charged with abandonment too??? They should!!!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry but if you are that irresponsible and can't take care of a child you need to put it up for adoption!
Old 11-14-2002, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

I can't believe this story! How could ANYONE possibly think that putting an 18-month-old child to bed and locking the door before leaving for a party is acceptable behavior?

The mother and absentee babysitters should be brought up on charges of child neglect and abandonment.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish this was a misprint, but if not, I'm pretty scared.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
It was a wierd baby sitter situation. The Sisters kind of failed her.

But is it so unreasonable to assume that a fed and put to bed baby of 18 months would be ok for 2 hours or so?

I am actually just asking because I don't know anything about baby care.

Do they need minute by minute attention?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James
It was a wierd baby sitter situation. The Sisters kind of failed her.

But is it so unreasonable to assume that a fed and put to bed baby of 18 months would be ok for 2 hours or so?

I am actually just asking because I don't know anything about baby care.

yes james, it is extremely unreasonable to think that a baby of 18 months - 1.5 years - would be ok alone.

sure, fed and put to bed with someone is the next room and the child would be fine - but alone - NO WAY.

you don't even leave a child alone for 2 seconds on a changing table - a one and a half year old can crawl, walk - what if he was trying to get out of his crib and fell and broke his neck? the story said he was crying and the neighbor found him in the hall - obviously you cannot leave a child alone, ever.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to NoShame_Gamma
Quote:
Originally posted by IowaHawkeye

I am shocked... that is sick and disturbing. going out to a party is more important that taking care of your child now... this is why people should need a license for a child. i can't believe all she asked was is the door locked... if people who were supposed to be watching my child left - the $hit would hit the fan.
She did leave her child with "baby sitters" so she's not the only one to blame. About going out to party, we don't know if she's always going out. That was pretty dumb of her to ask if the door was locked. What I find the most disturbing is that the article says she left the child at 3am. Is that correct? Where the heck was she going at that time?

Quote:
apparently she's a sigma lambda gamma
What does her affiliation have to do with anything?

On a side note, PLEASE don't go ASSUMING because she's non-NPC that this is regular behavior of all non-NPC's.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NoShame_Gamma

What does her affiliation have to do with anything?

On a side note, PLEASE don't go ASSUMING because she's non-NPC that this is regular behavior of all non-NPC's.
The only thing her affiliaion has to do with is that the story is titled "penn state sorority girl" and the fact that she left her child with some of her sisters. other than that - it has nothing to do with the story.

when greeks do something wrong, the media emphasizes our greek affiliation - it sucks.

and i, nor has anyone else, EVER once said or thought that b/c she's non-npc that this was regular behavior for all non-npcs. i think youre jumping ahead of yourself.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OPAGal
Ok. How stupid was this girl? She obviously didn't think at all when planning this night out because any mother would know that you need responsible babysitters. I mean I'm not a mother and even I know that! Also does she know that if anything at all would have happened to that kid that she'd be facing prision time.(If she's not already) The child should be put up for adoption or given to a RESPONSIBLE relative.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

What an idot!

As the mother of a 3.5 year old and the mother of an 11 month old, I can tell you that all of them, friends who were supposed to be baby sitting and the mother are a bunch of morons.

You never, EVER leave a child unattended in the house for any reason short of going to get the mail. What if there had been a fire? Carbon Monoxide problem? Anything can happen.

I can only assume that the friends figured at 3am the kid was asleep for the night and left to party themselves. Locking the door or not to me is inconsequential. Reckelss endangerment of a child for a stupid party?

I can only surmise this woman was probably pretty darn young, and obviously clueless.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by James

A child of that age is almost certainly walking, but has no experience with what is right/wrong/safe/dangerous.

A house with a toddler should be child-proofed -- that is to say that nothing should be left out which might be dangerous, stairs need to be blocked off, electrical outlets need protective covers, no cleaning chemicals left in low cabinets -- and a whole lot of other things you don't normally think of.

Although we don't know, I think it's safe to assume that the house where the child was left was not child-proofed.

Beyond the physical dangers, a child of that age is heavily dependent on adults, and is scared very easily. Being left alone is cruel. I was looking for a softer word, but can't think of one.

There were some very bad decisions made in this case -- by the mother and the baby-sitter(s).
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:12 PM

When I go to the bars I take my kids with me and I lock them in the trunk so they can't get into trouble.

Be Responsible.