GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,230
0 members and 2,230 guests
No Members online

Old 12-07-2004, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

A Typical Que Week

Que Week at Eastern Michigan U.

I thought I'd post this link so non-NPHC members can see what an example of frat or sorority week is like for NPHC members. I think that what you see here is typical for HBCU's as well as non-HBCU's. Of course, there will be variations.

Ques = Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2004, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

This chapter sounds very active in the university as well as the community!

I have a question: does "Que week" mean that this is their initiation week?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The B Girl
This chapter sounds very active in the university as well as the community!

I have a question: does "Que week" mean that this is their initiation week?
Speaking for my own org, Alpha Week is not always initiation week, but sometimes it is the week that new initiates are introduced to the campus.

I suspect this is true for most NPHC orgs.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

No, silly B Girl

Que Week is a celebration of the organization. It is a big PR Event and the chapter will hold events all week for nonaffiliated students to attend. Most BGLO's do this. Maybe some of the rest of us should try. It is alot of work but the payoff is great in terms of name recognition and stirring up interest. Usually it is ended with a big party.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

the MCGLO's at FSU have their own 'week' for each semester as well. The weeks tend to have themes. Our theme for the spring was 8th ONEder of the World, and each day was devoted to a different continent. Friday was Antarctica, and my line came out dressed all in white, afterwards we had an all white party. The other days had an event dealing with a continent as well, for example, Asia was a seminar on the situation of women in Asia.
Check out http://1225media.com/tnx for the full list of events that we had for the Lambda Chapter of Theta Nu Xi Multicutural Sorority, Inc. for fall week 2k4.

Edited to add that the all white party means everyone who goes to the club that night has to wear all white, not that the people themselves have to be white, like somebody asked me earlier

Last edited by Private I; 12-07-2004 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

It looks like they had some good events. I hope the Omegas had a good week.

wait a minute? This IS my signature.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by Private I
Edited to add that the all white party means everyone who goes to the club that night has to wear all white, not that the people themselves have to be white, like somebody asked me earlier
LOL!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jwoods9 Send a message via Yahoo to jwoods9
Founders Week

All of the RPHC GLOs (non-NPC & non-IFC) have Founders Week at Rutgers. Each GLO selects which week will be designated their Founders Week at the beginning of the school year.

Out of respect, other organizations will not hold any events or programs during that week w/o the GLO's permission during their respective Founders Week.

For instance, our Founders Day is Nov 9, so our Rutgers Chapter selected Nov 7 - Nov 13 as our Founders Week this year. The sisters at that chapter held a Multicultural Talent Show, did community service, held an educational program, threw a party, etc. and ended the week with our annual Soft Elegance (Banquet).

All events are open to the community, except for the banquet and Founders Day ceremony. That's for sisters only....

O-O-P-C...whiskers!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

J woods its the same at FSU, only you can hold events if it is very important at the same time (education events in particular are sometimes planned before the week is actually scheduled) but you have to give a formal letter. Also, this only matters within councils, namely, you cannot prevent someone in MGC having an event during your NPHC week, and vice versa. I was wondering what do the chapters at your school do if their founder's week is at the same time as another chapters? Do you switch off every year, toss a coin,...?
Old 12-08-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jwoods9 Send a message via Yahoo to jwoods9
Founders Week

Sometimes we share weeks with other organizations, sometimes they overlap. It's bound to happen especially as more and more GLOs start up and expand, but it 's not that big of a deal.

Most of the time we will co-sponsor events with one another or throw a party together.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Re: A Typical Que Week

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Que Week at Eastern Michigan U.

I thought I'd post this link so non-NPHC members can see what an example of frat or sorority week is like for NPHC members. I think that what you see here is typical for HBCU's as well as non-HBCU's. Of course, there will be variations.

Ques = Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc.
Good Article

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-08-2004, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

does every frat on every yard have a sex forum.

it always ends up being some back and forth between the men and women.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:42 AM
GreekChat Member

there's only so many topics you can do over and over again. other common themes are 'the morning after,' 'interracial dating,' 'colorism,' 'the role of woman in the media,' 'the role of minorities in the media,' etc.
All good themes, but you're right, they tend to repeat themselves.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaNuPhi4Life Send a message via Yahoo to SigmaNuPhi4Life
Heck yeah! The Que's here are awesome. They have to be one of the nicest fraternity's at Eastern. Granted their house is not on Eastern's campus, its at U of M...they are still here. Their "Que Week" is kind of like an initiation week, but not really. I guess its not at all. It is a week where the new pledges meet both of the Greek Community's and they get out and get known. It is really cool some of the things they do. But we all know that the girls of Sig Nu Phi love the Que's. :-) There are many reasons too.

If you guys are ever at EMU or U of M, you should definatly find time to meet a Que, they are awesome. At our Homecoming, it was so cute. I saw the two cutest little boys. They were with their dad and they both had sweatshirts on that said "My dad is a Que and we are dang proud!" And then the dad had a Que shirt on. They are just all around awesome guys. They are not mean to anyone, at least from what I see.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

SigmaNuPhi4Life...HMO?

What type of insurer are you with? It appears that you have "jungle fever" based on your stated craving for a Que? EMU, huh? Well, my ICE COLD BROTHERS of ITHACA are the COLDEST, BOLDEST, SMARTEST men a woman can have. We GRADUATE too (on time). Cornell University, Howard, Morehouse, USC, UCLA, Arizona State, Ohio State, Yale, dang.....us ALPHAS are some bad dudes!

Last edited by PHAShriner/1906; 12-10-2004 at 10:27 PM.