GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,346
0 members and 1,346 guests
No Members online

Old 04-07-2021, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Got my second dose of Moderna 2 days ago. The day after was pretty awful with a fever that wouldn't break even with Tylenol, but I'm feeling much better today. Well worth it in the end!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-07-2021, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
From what the pharmacists are saying, you need to wait 2 weeks after the 2nd dose before you build the antibodies. My parents (in their 80s) had their 2nd shots in mid February are still are not spending time with friends. I've only had one shot and I still wear a mask around them (and I've tested negative 4 times for antibodies when donating blood)
Should have clarified...socially distanced time with friends. Wasn't spending time with them just because I was vaccinated. I know about the 2 week rule and am now past it, but acting as I did 2 months ago (masked up, socially distanced, etc...). My mom (85), however, had her 2 shots in January and you'd think Covid never happened by the way she's acting.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Actually, you have antibodies starting about two weeks after the first dose. During the clinical trials, they were saying that the vaccines were 50% effective after the first dose and you would receive "peak protection" of 90% about two weeks after the second dose. But that wasn't to say that you had no protection or antibodies at all after the first dose.

As it were, additional studies conducted by the CDC, using real-world people who received the vaccine in the earliest rounds, have revealed that the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were 80% effective after the first dose! 80%!! That means that the second dose only adds an additional 10% of protection.

See it here: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/29/cdc-...effective.html

Also, an antibody test (from your blood donations) won't tell you if the COVID vaccine is working or not. Antibody tests are looking for a certain protein in people who have already had the actual COVID virus. If you have tested negative four times, congratulations! That means that you've never had COVID! Though, those tests don't mean that your body still hasn't produced antibodies from the vaccine. The antibody test you took, I presume, was looking for a different "piece" than the ones the vaccines makes. The Atlantic had an article that's a bit wordy, but it explains it well.

The Atlantic: https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...-tests/617981/

Washington Post, easier read, but less informative: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...antibody-test/

Finally, the CDC says that fully vaccinated people are free to visit other fully vaccinated people indoors without masks. They can also visit with unvaccinated low-risk people from a single household indoors without masks. Of course, you and your parents are welcome to operate at your own comfort level; but, it is not necessary to fully stay inside and not visit anyone.

See the CDC guidelines here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...-guidance.html
Cosign all of this. I'm just treating this all like - You do what's best for you...I'm going to follow the rules pretty tightly, but if your comfort level is at a lower place, then I'll probably meet you there now that I'm vaccinated. And if you want me in full hazmat gear, well then I'm cool with that too.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

I went out for lunch in a small town in Oklahoma on the 2-week anniversary of my second shot. Literally no one was wearing a mask. It was business as per usual. It was strange after a year of all this, but at what point to those of us who have acted responsibly, and been vaccinated go back to business as usual?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I went out for lunch in a small town in Oklahoma on the 2-week anniversary of my second shot. Literally no one was wearing a mask. It was business as per usual. It was strange after a year of all this, but at what point to those of us who have acted responsibly, and been vaccinated go back to business as usual?
It's all about risk management/risk acceptance, right? We each have a different risk tolerance and will go back to "normal" when we feel the risk is low enough for us to be comfortable. I'm not willing to risk GIVING this thing to someone who might be fragile, so I'll keep masking up for a while.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

As a note, I got my J&J last Thursday. Felt a little drained through about Sunday, but I've had similar reactions to the Flu vaccine.

Note, I'm in the county just north of DC, we are still on strong requirements for masks. They are just *now* allowing Churches to have 100 member meetings.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I got my last round of Pfizer this pst Saturday. The first one my arm felt pretty sore for a day then I was fine. This time around my arm didn't really hurt but I felt like I had a mild cold for a day but after that I okay.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 04-23-2021, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Cal State and USC systems to require vaccine for fall semester

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/23/cali...box=1619186936
Old 04-23-2021, 12:46 PM

I've had both of my Pfizer shots. I got nauseous about 2 hours after I got my first dose. Was nauseous the rest of the day. I got the 2nd dose two weeks later and was absolutely fine.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Had my 2nd dose of Moderna last Friday (4/16). I had the same upper arm soreness as I did with the first dose, plus I woke up at around 3:30 am (12 hours after my shot) because my feet felt like they were on fire, and couldn’t get comfortable enough to get back to sleep for a few hours. (Of course, my cat poking my feet every time I moved them didn’t help!) That was it for side effects. I’m halfway to having it fully kicked in!
Old 04-25-2021, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

On Etsy, a company is selling shirts with “Pfizer Alumni”, “Moderna Alumni” and “Johnson & Johnson Alumni”, like it’s a University or Greek alum shirt. NYT did a story about it.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Got my second shot on Friday. I woke up on Saturday with my arm hurting like hell and a mild headache, then at 3 I was out like a light for 3 hours. Otherwise not bad.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I had my second Pfizer shot on Saturday morning. Had a sore arm for two days. I kept waiting for other side effects, but nothing happened.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I got the Pfizer vaccine as well. I kept waiting for the side effects, but I didn't realize I was experiencing them until about 2 days after the 2nd shot. I had pain in my knees and wrists. At first, I just thought I slept on them funny. But when I had a swollen lymph node in my underarm, it clicked that what I was feeling were side effects.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Anyone else had the J&J vaccine? What were your side effects? Do the effects take longer to appear?