GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,727
1 members and 1,726 guests
flamboyanttree

Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

MIT Sigma Kappa affected by "Muslim ban"

Sigma Kappa posted this on their Facebook page earlier today:

Sigma Kappa’s thoughts are with our sister Niki Mossafer Rahmati of the Theta Lambda Chapter at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). Due to the recently-imposed travel ban, Niki was prohibited from boarding a Boston-bound flight over the weekend and is currently back home in her native Iran. Niki is a junior Mechanical Engineering major at MIT, served as the chapter executive vice president last year and holds a multiple entry student visa. Sigma Kappa is proud to represent women of diverse religious and ethnic backgrounds who come together to form a sisterhood whose values are exemplified by our commitment to “Live with Heart.” We sincerely hope the situation is resolved soon so Niki can return to MIT.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-31-2017, 10:30 AM

There was good discussion on the page, from members of other GLOs, of what GLO leadership should be doing. It seems likely that Niki is not the only member impacted by this issue across all of the organizations. Is anyone aware of other organizations making statements?
Old 01-31-2017, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I just noticed that Niki commented on the post:

Quote:
Thank you so much for your love, help and support. I'm truly blessed to be a Sigma Kappa and have all these sisters who stand up to situations like this. Sending my dove love to all of you ❤
It's definitely refreshing to see (mostly) supportive, non-political responses and discussion regarding the situation.

I haven't heard of other GLOs making statements. I imagine that they would only if they had a member going through the same thing (but I could be wrong).

@~/~~~~
Old 01-31-2017, 08:28 PM

I'm an alumna of MIT. MIT is working hard to get Niki and other members of the MIT community who have been affected back to campus. President L. Rafael Reif sent an email yesterday to the entire community, including alumni, which started:

Quote:
For those of you who have been following the developments at MIT since Friday, I was hoping to write to you today with some uplifting news. Yet, as I write, we continue to push hard to bring back to MIT those members of our community, including two undergraduates, who were barred from the US because of the January 27 Executive Order on immigration. We are working personally with all the affected individuals we are aware of.
I've also seen an article on cnn.com about a student (from Iran, IIRC) who was admitted to the Class of 2021 and is now not sure whether he'll be able to attend.

My heart goes out to Niki and to every innocent person who has been affected by this ban.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Sad for all innocents affected. Even sadder at how it was implemented.

But I wish we would refer to it accurately. It is not a "Muslim ban" despite what the press is saying. Read it. You don't have to agree, but please don't succumb to the hysteria.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Sad for all innocents affected. Even sadder at how it was implemented.

But I wish we would refer to it accurately. It is not a "Muslim ban" despite what the press is saying. Read it. You don't have to agree, but please don't succumb to the hysteria.
Right. I put it in quotes for this reason. Honestly, I really don't know what to call it. Saying it's a travel ban downplays it, IMO.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-03-2017, 10:01 PM

They're back at MIT!

Two MIT undergraduates return to US from Middle East

The undergrads are not named in the article, but, given that President Reif stated that there were "two undergraduates ... barred from the US", one of them must be Niki.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Niki is safely back on campus! Thanks to everyone for their concern.

I agree that calling it a "muslim ban" is needlessly inflammatory. People are upset enough without perpetuating false information.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post

I agree that calling it a "muslim ban" is needlessly inflammatory. People are upset enough without perpetuating false information.
Please don't de-legitimize people's outrage. The stated purpose of it was to ban Muslims. It's affect was to ban Muslims. It exempted religeous minorities. If it walks like a duck.....
Old 02-13-2017, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post

Please don't de-legitimize people's outrage. The stated purpose of it was to ban Muslims. It's affect was to ban Muslims. It exempted religeous minorities. If it walks like a duck.....
Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

You're correct; times call for conversation.

Intelligent conversation requires facts, not rhetoric inspired by those who wish to inflame others.

Read the EO. Read the judge's order staying it. Then don't fall in to the trap of calling it what it is not; that helps no one.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

And I did not make something out of nothing. I responded to two post denying the existance of a Muslim Ban. I made a reasoned argument with data to prove my point.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

So, tallgreekalum, can you explain why the largest majority-Muslim nation on the planet was not included?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, tallgreekalum, can you explain why the largest majority-Muslim nation on the planet was not included?
Never said he is banning ALL Muslims, just (overwhelmingly)ONLY Muslims.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's very easily researched and has been widely explained. Is your question rhetorical? Or are you serious? You really don't know? You want an answer?

In any event, here's one link that answers your question (from a reputable news source, so don't go off on me about fake news or slanted news or what have you).

And, you might want to read House of Bush, House of Saud by Craig Unger. Indeed.