GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,160
1 members and 1,159 guests
Low D Flat

Old 07-23-2008, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
PEYTON! PEYTON! PEYTON!
Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Enjoying your story! Can't wait to hear more.

ETA: Can someone clue this old lady into what TRL is?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post

Total Request Live. It was a show on MTV (it might still be on for all I know) that Carson Daly hosted at its most popular. It had videos and celebrity guests and a live studio audience.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-23-2008, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post

Total Request Live. It was a show on MTV hosted by Carson Daly. They had actors/musicians come to the show to plug their newest movies or songs. There was a live audience and they would show videos (I think). I rarely watch TRL, mostly passed by it during my channel surfing.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM

TRL is still on, but considering mothership MTV hardly shows videos at all anymore, I don't think they have the call in aspect - how could they? Call in the video you liked on youtube?
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

This has to be one of my favorite recruitment stories. I really hope everything turns (turned? :P) out for you well in the end! I must say, I'm pushing for Haley...

As far as TRL goes, it's still on but it's not what it used to be in it's prime. They still show the music videos, but it's only about 30 seconds of each video. Also, they have infected it with TRL Spring Break in Cancun '08 and TRL Summer in Miami, so it's just one big drunken naked party on MTV. It annoys me.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

i love this story! haha
keep going pleeeease
Old 07-23-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

i'm hooked.

UPDATE PLEASE!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

NeverNeverNeverNeverNeverNeverNever leave the PNM ALONE! Bad Brooke! Bad! Go to your room!

I'm reveling in the honesty of this story - we don't usually get to hear the PNMs thoughts so in-depth. I might have to do one of these threads myself!
Old 07-24-2008, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I've spent the last couple of hours bouncing back and forth to this threat while doing other stuff till finally I got so hooked that I just sat down. I forgot how much fun it is to read these things! Keep going!

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 07-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

update, please
Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Hurry!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my gosh, when I started reading this thread, I saw how many posts there were and kind of hoped I'd get to read it all at once. Please please update! I'm at the edge of my seat!

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 07-25-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I am tooo!!
Old 07-26-2008, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
TRL is still on, but considering mothership MTV hardly shows videos at all anymore, I don't think they have the call in aspect - how could they? Call in the video you liked on youtube?
I believe they now post people's comments about the video from the MTV website. People now mostly request online.

The thing about TRL is that it just seemed passe when I went through recruitment. I don't know if it was because I was in college and TRL is really more popular among the high school crowd, or if it was because just after the real bubble of TRL popularity passed. I remember TRL being HUGE my junior year of HS - some girls from my HS actually got into the studio and onto the show - and it was something everyone talked about. Maybe it's still cool with high schoolers?? I wouldn't know.

It's time for Day 3 of Recruitment! We could be invited back to a maximum of three parties.

I went and picked up my invitations with Roommate. (As a reminder, roommate had gone back to Peyton, Haley, and Lucas.) Both roommate and I had 2 invitations:

Peyton
Haley

It wasn't a surprise to either of us that Lucas and Brooke had cut us. I pretty much knew that would happen once I was abandoned during Skit Night and Roommate didn't really know very many Lucases. We were OK with our invitations since Peyton had been our #1 all along.

Now, in other news, both Hallmate and Floormate had been cut from Peyton. That left them with only Haley to go back to.

Hallmate was pleased. She hadn't been to fraternity parties at all first semester and didn't know any upperclass women except for the Haleys that had been in the theatre production with her. She basically wanted Haley all along and was happy because her attitude was "I only want to go to the groups that really want me and this way I only go to the group I really want to anyway." A very good attitude.

Floormate, on the other hand, was devastated. She was crying. I remember sitting in our dorm room (Roommate and I had a big corner room, probably one of the biggest freshmen dorm rooms in the entire school, and it was a major place to hang out - people were over 24/7. We also had the only TV on the hall, which encouraged people to come too.) Anyway, Floormate was just sitting there in racking sobs. She was so worried that Roommate and I would pledge Peyton and she would go Haley alone (nevermind that Hallmate was set on Haley, Floormate was still freaking out). Quite honestly it was Roommate's and my plan to do exactly that (unless one of us got cut from Peyton), so Floormate probably wasn't unjustified in that fear... I do remember thinking why was she spending so much energy on this? She must have freaked out for an hour or more.

So pretty soon it was time for Sisterhood Night. This was basically a video night where the sororities showed a sisterhood-themed video.

My outfit for Sisterhood Night still makes me cringe. When I bought it and when I put it on I thought it was a good outfit. But when I got to the houses I realized it was all wrong. The dress code was basically a "church outfit". As in skit and top. I was wearing a grey, blue, and lavender plaid wool skirt (this element of the outfit was OK) with a fitted white sweater (OK, although I wish I'd gone for a blue or lavender sweater) and a lavender jacket (ACK! ACK! ACK!). I don't think I can adequately describe why this jacket was so bad. It wasn't a blazer (although that would have been inappropriate too). It was like... a mom church jacket. I don't know if that makes sense but that's the best way I can describe it. When I got to the parties I felt flat out frumpy. All the other girls were wearing dressier skirt/top combinations. I sort of looked like a 40-year old woman. Like I said, I think the basic idea of the outfit could have worked out without the jacket and with a different sweater... but man oh man. I still wonder if this jacket hurt me in recruitment.

1. Peyton - I went to Peyton first. I was again picked up by someone I didn't know. She was a sophomore, at least. We watched the video while seated in chairs beside our rusher and the rushers described what was going on in the video. The Peyton did a really good job of explaining what was happening in the video. After the video she showed me around Peyton's formal living room. I believe we talked in a bigger group with some other PNMs here for a while. I think our conversations went pretty well, but I just remember feeling ugly and frumpy in my outfit (why the hell I didn't ditch the jacket midway through or something I don't know). I am betting this affected my conversation. I remember thinking the Peyton was friendly but somewhat cold behind the friendliness. I felt like she didn't really like me. I didn't speak to anyone else that night because Peyton wasn't bumping. I really think my outfit inhibited my social skills and confidence.

2. Haley - I have more trouble remembering this party than any other during the whole week of recruitment. I don't know why that is. I was picked up by a Haley sophomore I didn't know. She was really quiet. I could tell that from the beginning. Unlike the Peyton, who had talked throughout the video to the point where I missed a lot of the images because I was looking at the rusher, the Haley was quiet through a lot of the video and spoke up here and there describing things. I believe we walked around a bit after. I don't remember if I got to go the formal dining room (the first night you can see those on my campus is Sisterhood Night). Again, I felt awkward in my outfit, but I was less uncomfortable about that at Haley because I didn't think they would judge me as harshly on clothing as Peyton might.

I left the parties feeling a bit frumpy and ugly but not nearly as depressed as I had been after the horrid Brooke party on Skit Night. I was getting ready for Preference Night and for recruitment to be over.

Last edited by 20something; 07-26-2008 at 03:59 AM.