GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,273
0 members and 1,273 guests
No Members online

Old 09-14-2014, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Will the SAT/ACT eventually become obsolete?

http://www.montclair.edu/news/articl...rticleID=13137

Quote:
Montclair State University announced on July 29 that it will become the first New Jersey public university to adopt an SAT/ACT test-optional policy for all applicants seeking undergraduate admission. Effective this fall, the University will revise its freshman admissions protocol, placing primary emphasis on an applicant’s high school GPA combined with close attention to the specific courses taken. Submission of SAT and ACT scores will no longer be required, although the University will consider these scores should a student choose to submit them. The policy will take effect for the fall 2015 entering freshman class.
……..
Over the past decade, the University has reviewed its admissions criteria to determine how the various factors considered in the admissions process track with student retention, academic success and graduation rates. According to Dr. Cole, the University has verified that the most powerful predictor of college success is a student’s performance in high school and, in particular, the high school GPA and the rigor of the courses taken.
……..
In becoming the first New Jersey public university to make this change, giving students the option of not submitting SAT and Act scores, Montclair State joins more than 800 of the nation’s leading colleges and universities, a group that constitutes about 30 percent of the nation’s schools that grant baccalaureate degrees and that includes Temple University, Wake Forest University, Wesleyan University, University of Arizona and George Mason University.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Banned

?

(just kidding)

YES.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I think with grade inflation, the ACT/SAT become more important. They are most definitely flawed, but they are an equalizer. I'm amazed to hear about people with 3.5 gpas or higher and ACT scores in the mid-20's. To me that kind of GPA should be reflected in a 30 or better ACT.

ETA/or are schools going to rely on essay/interview exclusively?
Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Not if College Board and ACT, Inc. have anything say. Big Business.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think with grade inflation, the ACT/SAT become more important. They are most definitely flawed, but they are an equalizer. I'm amazed to hear about people with 3.5 gpas or higher and ACT scores in the mid-20's. To me that kind of GPA should be reflected in a 30 or better ACT.

ETA/or are schools going to rely on essay/interview exclusively?
Yeah, seriously. I've seen such inflated GPAs that when I've talked to the person, it's hard to believe they are anything more than a "C" average student at best. I'm shocked at how easy it seems for some students to have a 4.0 or higher and makes me question how much we have watered down curriculum in order to get students the best grades they can so they can go to college.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I see both sides- in a way the tests are an equalizer for schools to compare student ability. But, I also see a push to start professional Test Prep as early as 8th grade in my area (Plano, TX). There are a ton of test prep centers that sell multiyear packages that cost thousands of dollars. And it's the worst kept secret in the world that these test centers can recommend a physician who, for an outrageous price, will diagnose your child with a learning disability that will allow them to take an untimed version of the test.
I have no problem with kids who truly do struggle having the option to take an untimed test but have witnessed multiple occassions where this was taken advantage of. Two years ago, a mom told us that she had taken her daughter, who was already in the top 5% of her class of 1500+ students, several hours away to be tested by a physician who their Test Prep class suggested. She told us that the physician's consultation and testing cost big $$$ but was able to be completed in just one afternoon.
The tests do help set a standard to rank students by, but there will always be a group who can get around it and gain an edge.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
?

(just kidding)

YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Yeah, seriously. I've seen such inflated GPAs that when I've talked to the person, it's hard to believe they are anything more than a "C" average student at best. I'm shocked at how easy it seems for some students to have a 4.0 or higher and makes me question how much we have watered down curriculum in order to get students the best grades they can so they can go to college.
While grades may be inflated, this still applies (at least at Montclair):

Quote:
Over the past decade, the University has reviewed its admissions criteria to determine how the various factors considered in the admissions process track with student retention, academic success and graduation rates. According to Dr. Cole, the University has verified that the most powerful predictor of college success is a student’s performance in high school and, in particular, the high school GPA and the rigor of the courses taken.
To me, this says that regardless of whether or not grades are inflated, those students with higher high school GPAs (especially those in more difficult classes) are performing better in college, and SAT/ACT scores don't generally line up with a student's college GPA.

Also, the article makes the following point, which I think is a valid one. This may explain why some students have very good high school GPAs, but low SAT/ACT scores:

Quote:
The President added that it is the University’s view that standardized tests can have the undesirable effect of disadvantaging capable, striving students from middle and lower socio-economic backgrounds, many of whom do not have the benefit of costly preparation courses.

@~/~~~~
Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I would consider myself an only nominally better than average student, took no test prep and got a 27. And I DON'T consider that a remarkable score. To pay all that I'd be really pissed for anything less than a 31. If you had learned sufficiently in high school you shouldn't need any of that. The tests aren't rocket science; you just need to have had a varied education with focus on college prep (SOME advanced math, science, writing, etc.)

The only reason I'd pay for the test prep is if I was thinking about going to a premier college where that last point could make a difference. But I'm not a big fan of those kinds of schools for undergrad, which brings me back around to you don't need the test prep.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 PM

My high school best friend got great grades in the academic coursein high school and was in NHS, but when it came to the SAT, I don't know if she even broke 800 total. Because of this she decided not to go to college. She probably wouldn't have been able to handle the pressures. The ACT and SAT are about more than just book knowledge.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this makes me personally happy because my first school (and actually where I am now) both consider test-optional track. I got in ED at my first school based only on my high school grades as oppose to my horrible HORRIBLE SAT scores. I know I'm a smart person, it's just testing like SATs/ACTs get me nervous!

but now I'm also jealous of the students starting in 2016 with all the changes with scoring and all that.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see them becoming obsolete for some schools, but I think the very selective schools need as many things to differentiate kids as possible because all the kids who apply there have great grades and ECs.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

As a mom, it has been nervewracking to shepherd twelve of my own children so far through the tests. As a professor, though, I know that standardized tests are necessary because of the huge discrepancy in various schools in the state. Not only that, but some high schools hand out As like candy because of parent pressure/fear of lawsuits. I can not begin to describe what it's like having students from these schools in college classes, particularly if they still think that a call from Mom will scare the professor into giving them an A.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
As a mom, it has been nervewracking to shepherd twelve of my own children so far through the tests. As a professor, though, I know that standardized tests are necessary because of the huge discrepancy in various schools in the state. Not only that, but some high schools hand out As like candy because of parent pressure/fear of lawsuits. I can not begin to describe what it's like having students from these schools in college classes, particularly if they still think that a call from Mom will scare the professor into giving them an A.
Yep. My very small, rural high school where most of those who graduate do not even attend college was MUCH easier than a lot of the large public or private high schools many of my friends from big cities went to. I did very well in high school without ever doing much work outside of class, because the classes were so easy. When I came to college, I had to spend a lot of time developing study skills because I had none. My friends who went to more difficult high schools had an easier time adjusting to college level coursework.

Last edited by maconmagnolia; 09-17-2014 at 01:35 AM. Reason: typo!
Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
The problem is, and always will be, that if you can coach students to do measurably better on a test, then the test is not measuring anything useful.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Submission of SAT and ACT scores will no longer be required, although the University will consider these scores should a student choose to submit them. The policy will take effect for the fall 2015 entering freshman class.

I wonder if SAT and ACT scores will be similar to "sorority recommendations" in that those who submit them may have a potential advantage over those who do not submit them? Especially when all things are generally equal (i.e. student’s performance, GPA and the rigor of the courses). And if so, then perhaps those that can afford some sort of “prep” class (for the SAT and the ACT) will be at an even greater advantage.