GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,430
4 members and 1,426 guests
aantonygooglet9, John, Sen's Revenge
Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Angry Brad Cohen, former SAE

By now you may have already heard about the very public resignation of Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s immediate past national president, Bradley M. Cohen, and his subsequent tirades and pleadings for yet more attention. What you may not know is why this occurred or who Brad Cohen really is.

SAE is divided into geographic regions known as provinces, each governed by a volunteer province council whose members are elected at biennial province conventions timed to occur during the intervening years between biennial national conventions. This past weekend, Province Chi-Alpha, which generally covers San Diego and Orange Counties, held their Province Convention. This is significant in that Brad previously served as Archon (President) of this province and also recently served as Eminent Supreme Archon (National President) and resides within this province’s territory; either of these two conditions alone grants to him a seat and a vote at the Province Convention. Not wishing to miss an opportunity to push his agenda for the Fraternity, he was in attendance at this Convention.

As confirmed by eye witness reports, during the course of this weekend’s Province Chi-Alpha Convention, Brad Cohen told the president of our Chapter at University of California, Irvine, to “shut the f[expletive] up” and yelled at him, telling him his Chapter was a “s[expletive] house” and that they “didn’t deserve to be members” of SAE. This reportedly occurred just after Brad was heard “talking s[explitive]” about our Fraternity’s current national vice president. I obviously cannot comment about the content of SAE’s oath of initiation, but I’m sure no surprise will be had by acknowledging that this behavior runs counter to that oath. Furthermore, if this isn’t conduct prejudicial to good order and unbecoming a gentleman, I don’t know what is. In either case, Brad’s actions this past weekend constitute offenses cognizable by our national Fraternity Laws to support the preferment of charges against him -- except for the fact that he publicly resigned. In his own defense, Brad posted the following statement in reply to an SAE on Facebook just last night: “No he was f[expletive] rude. Defended 3 out of 75 guys there for a ceremony and delinquent in their dues. Perhaps you should be there to open toe [sic] fat mouth”. Brad was gently admonished not to speak to his brothers in that manner and was reminded of the virtue of civility, then he said this: “A brother reaches out and asks a question. That’s not a brother.” Moments later he ‘unfriended’ those brothers who admonished him to be civil and has since adjusted his privacy settings to exclude those not on his friends list from seeing his current posts.

Due to his experience over the weekend, Brad Cohen publicly announced his resignation, not just from the SAE Foundation Board of Directors, but from Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity itself. A copy of a screen capture of that emotionally charged and decidedly impolite statement has been posted to TFM in a recent article they published. Later, Brad posted an almost-retraction, saying his wife convinced him to reconsider his resignation and that he would sleep on it. The next day, he posted a retraction of his resignation, after it had already been posted publicly on TFM.

Brad’s actions over these last few days is just the most recent in an interminably long string of offenses against his brothers and of prostituting himself and sacrificing his integrity on the altar of public opinion and favorable media headlines. He has repeatedly cherry picked which of our national Fraternity Laws he wants to observe and enforce, which he’s willing to disregard on account of their inconvenience and tendency to obstruct his agenda, and which he’s going to reinterpret and reinvent according to his own whim in the interest of political expediency and railroading his agenda through the Fraternity’s national government. One such action of his explicitly disenfranchised our undergraduate brothers and denied them any voice or vote in major changes that were made to our Fraternity’s national operation. Other such actions have denied both individual members and entire chapters of the right to due process. He is also guilty of forgetting his history. In its early days, Sigma Alpha Epsilon was governed nationally by a Grand Chapter, with the undergraduate chapters taking it in turn as to which of them acted as such. SAE was literally governed at all levels by undergraduate, active members, not a 5-man clique of alumni, lead by one with an ego large enough for all of them combined. SAE belongs to our active brothers. It is their birthright. They are the alumni’s legacy. The only real, legitimate function of a government composed of alumni brothers is to provide a framework within which our undergraduate brothers might develop into scholars, leaders, and athletes, and by which they may remain on the ‘straight and narrow’ road. It is not up to us as alumni to dictate the future of the Fraternity to the undergrads; rather, it is the right and prerogative of the undergrads to dictate that future to us.

Brad has caused significant and lasting damage to SAE. Brad Cohen is the worst possible example of a ‘Brother Zero’ and it was a dark day indeed in the early 1980s when our Arizona Alpha Chapter offered him a bid. Having very publicly resigned, Brad Cohen strictly speaking stands as a FORMER member of SAE, not a current brother. It would require a vote of our Supreme Council (national officers) to reinstate him, assuming they’re willing to follow our national Fraternity Laws in spite of Brad’s tendency to consistently disregard them. Resignation of one’s membership is an effectively irreversible decision. His ‘ooops, just kidding’ retraction is invalid and his holding himself out as still a brother now makes him no different from any other impostor. Brad Cohen needs to take his snake oil salesmanship, arrogance, and vitriol and disappear, never to be heard from in the world of SAE ever again. Only then, perhaps, can any real healing begin.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 04-20-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think SAE has to answer for anything here. What I saw was a member who resigned because he has differences with the organization. Sounds like both the individual and organization are now better off.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2016, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

So much for keeping it in the family.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I don't think SAE has to answer for anything here. What I saw was a member who resigned because he has differences with the organization. Sounds like both the individual and organization are now better off.
Agreed.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So much for keeping it in the family.
Brad made the issue public and is no longer family.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It sounds to me, SAEalumnus, based on your recounting of events, that Brad Cohen is exhibiting some significant mental health issues. And he's not doing himself any favors in the long run. As an employer I wouldn't touch him with a 200 foot pole. That behavior spells all kinds of trouble in the workplace.

I *cringe* at the Arizona connection: the University of Arizona chapter is strong, and of good reputation (to the best of my knowledge). His actions are not reflective of the actives and alumni that I know from that chapter.

Statistically speaking, we all have problematic members. Some are more vocal than others. He voluntarily resigned. Too bad, so sad for him. No taking that one back, buddy. Time to move on.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
Brad made the issue public and is no longer family.
I think anyone who pays attention to the general goings on in the NIC world knows why Mr. Cohen is and what has been going on with SAE lately. I was always very concerned that the FIPG would start requiring other organizations to follow SAE's lead in order to retain preferable rates. I want to hope the recent goings on at SAE would tend to not lead the FIPG in that direction--but that's my own personal bias as I hate for any organization, especially my own to feel like it needs to change to appease public sentiment which will probably never be in our favor no matter what concessions we make.

I agree this is a public issue within the interfraternal community. Many of us will continue to monitor the situation as anything which happens in an organization as large as SAE is going to have an impact everywhere else.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-20-2016, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Will this result in the repeal of the True Gentleman "pledge" program?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins&Quills View Post
Will this result in the repeal of the True Gentleman "pledge" program?
I doubt it, at least not directly. If Brad stays out of the way and someone else had the courage to stand up and be heard, there might be a possibility of restoring SAE to its pre-Brad condition.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

In an absolutely shocking turn of events, Brad "Echo Chamber" Cohen, who pontificates at every opportunity about his martyrdom for the cause of blame shifting and irrelevant personal demographics, he who hasn't lived until he's heard the sound of his own voice (while the rest of us are forced to listed to the typhoon between his ears), has actually deactivated his Facebook account.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that charges have been preferred against him, hedging bets that nationals won't have the stones to enforce his original resignation, but what do I know...