GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,186
0 members and 1,186 guests
No Members online

Old 09-19-2007, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SthrnZeta
We never had that issue with AIM profiles, sisters didn't care what was up there, as long as it was positive. For some reason, it was all about those stitched block letters But I can tell you, it felt so good to wear them finally the day of initiation and know that everyone who saw me in them knew I was a sister and not just a NM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-19-2007, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnZeta View Post
If I didn't feel hurt in some way or humiliated, then I don't feel it was hazing. I think some people take the hazing issue a little far for political correctness sake and don't see that some of it is merely in good fun. I was honestly jealous of the girls who had to wear their pledge ribbons all the time, I would have been proud to wear my sorority colors every day whether I was told to or not. Isn't it expected that sisters wear sorority paraphanalia during recruitment and that new members especially are told to do so during COR afterwards - and that's not considered hazing. I'm just saying, by your rationale, a lot of things that we ALL do could be considered hazing and I don't feel telling a new member that it is more appropriate to wait to wear our letters until they know their full meaning is hazing. Your chapter and you may feel differently, but it was our campus climate to keep this tradition and again, I don't feel it's hazing. You're acting like I had my fat circled!!!
While that may be your personal definition of hazing, that's not the one used by HQs. Did you wear your sorority colors every day? Since you would have been proud to do so even though it wasn't a requirement?

Due to your phrasing, I'm guessing no. Why? Because you weren't required.

BTW, stop please with the "your chapter and you" thing. Think about (Inter)Natonal HQs... not chapters.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was honestly jealous of the girls who had to wear their pledge ribbons all the time, I would have been proud to wear my sorority colors every day whether I was told to or not.
Whether you're 'proud of it' or not, it's still hazing.

Quote:
Isn't it expected that sisters wear sorority paraphanalia during recruitment and that new members especially are told to do so during COR afterwards
Yes and no. Yes, sisters are to wear letters; it encourages interest. As far as NMs, if they didn't want to wear letters we wouldn't make them; nor would we require them not to. We would ask them to, but if they didn't, it's not a big deal. It depends on how things are run.

Quote:
I'm just saying, by your rationale, a lot of things that we ALL do could be considered hazing and I don't feel telling a new member that it is more appropriate to wait to wear our letters until they know their full meaning is hazing. Your chapter and you may feel differently, but it was our campus climate to keep this tradition and again, I don't feel it's hazing. You're acting like I had my fat circled!!!
Regardless of what you 'feel', it's hazing. Sorry that your definition doesn't match the law.

I would be careful about how you are representing ZTA in this thread. You're advocating hazing, you know. And as all GCers know, it's easy to find out who someone is. I'd just be more careful.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you mean to tell me that nothing you had in your new member period would constitute hazing by "the law?" I find that hard to believe.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
... everyone who saw me in them knew I was a sister and not just a NM.
The bold emphasis is mine... but that's all that stood out to me from this post. I saw the change in terminology during my college years - I was a pledge, when I left, the new girls were NMs. Even having been called a pledge, I don't think any initiated sister (in my chapter - gotta get that disclaimer in there) would have called us "JUST" a pledge (or NM).

That's part of the attitude that drives the hazing argument - you're basically saying that NMs are lesser people than initiated sisters.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I really do mean that. I cannot think of ONE THING that would be considered hazing.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
How can a feeling of pride be hazing? She's not saying anyone made her do anything. Plus, you have no idea who the other groups were or what their policies are, so you have a lot of balls trying to say that something they required their pledges to do is hazing. Before you make that accusation, check the nationall policies. Not everyone's are the same (to wit: A E Phi not being allowed to wear their letters as pledges).
Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
How can a feeling of pride be hazing? She's not saying anyone made her do anything. Plus, you have no idea who the other groups were or what their policies are, so you have a lot of balls trying to say that something they required their pledges to do is hazing. Before you make that accusation, check the nationall policies. Not everyone's are the same (to wit: A E Phi not being allowed to wear their letters as pledges).
True. What I was referring to [in case you misunderstood] is being forced to wear sorority colors all the time.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
True. What I was referring to [in case you misunderstood] is being forced to wear sorority colors all the time.
We were encouraged to wear buttons, shirts we had been given, etc. as much as possible and no new member minded because we were so excited to be a part of Zeta. Now I KNOW that's not hazing! I'm sure most, if not all, GLOs do that. Participating in traditions such as waiting to wear letters, IMO, facilitates that sisterhood bond, and a pledge class bond. Not all traditions should be followed, true (circling fat type of hazing, for example) but I really feel this one is harmless!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, I really do mean that. I cannot think of ONE THING that would be considered hazing.
Did you have meetings with NMs only? That's hazing, by the definition.

Did you ever feel stressed during your NM period? That's hazing, by the definition.

Did you wear different shirts on bid day than the actives were wearing, thus setting you apart as pledges? That's hazing, by the definition.

Hazing is defined as ANYTHING that sets the NMs apart from the active sisters. If you want to take it to the absurd level I did, there's absolutely no way to have any kind of NM program without hazing.

And as far as the colors, she said she would have been proud to wear them every day, whether she was told to or not. The word "force" is nowhere in her post. We were "told" that Friday was the day to wear letters on our campus because it was a campus tradition - no one was ever FORCED to - if someone had a dressy presentation or something that day it wasn't like anyone would get on her case for wearing letters!!

SthrnZta, you are getting jumped on here and it's ridiculous. Sororities and fraternities are not McDonald's - every chapter is not homogenous. (And hell, I think even McDonald's has a McLobster roll or something in Maine, so even THEY aren't homogenous.)
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you 33, I really appreciate someone finally agreeing with me and helping me prove my point! I said earlier that I know there will be those who disagree with me on this particular issue, but I just feel so strongly that you can't call something like that hazing and I'm glad you put such great examples up - great post! Our different traditions set us apart and that's what makes us different and great!
Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Did you have meetings with NMs only? That's hazing, by the definition.

Did you ever feel stressed during your NM period? That's hazing, by the definition.

Did you wear different shirts on bid day than the actives were wearing, thus setting you apart as pledges? That's hazing, by the definition.
No, busy but not overstressed, and no.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Did you have to wear a different pin than the initiated sisters? That would set you apart (if you had badge attire day) and wouldn't that be hazing...???
Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was honestly jealous of the girls who had to wear their pledge ribbons all the time, I would have been proud to wear my sorority colors every day whether I was told to or not.
Quote:

. . .

Regardless of what you 'feel', it's hazing. Sorry that your definition doesn't match the law.
Sorry, but neither does yours -- at least not any law I've ever heard of, and I am familiar with the hazing laws of at least some states. I've not run across any hazing law that would cover requiring new members/pledges/whatever to wear their pins or colors. Without more (such as the possible punishment for breaking this rule), I can't even see how it would meet the criteria of the NPC definition:

Hazing is defined as any action or situation with or without consent which recklessly, intentionally or unintentionally endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student, or creates risk of injury, or causes discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule or which willfully destroys or removes public or private property for the purpose of initiation or admission into or affiliation with, or as a condition for continued membership in a chapter or colony of an NPC member fraternity.

No endangerment of physical or mental health, no risk of injury, not reasonably (at least, not without other factors) a cause of "discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule."

By itself, it just ain't hazing.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Point taken.