GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,210
2 members and 2,208 guests
Cookiez17

Old 01-22-2010, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I have heard it mentioned that DKE is rather selective. Yet, Howard Johnson came to Yale to experience college after he had built his HOJO empire. He was one cool old guy and received multiple bids based on the simple fact that he was simply himself and didn't try to act like a kid but like a guy who came to college late and wanted to participate as fully as he could.
Proud to say he joined DKE and was, I am told, a good pledge, a great active brother, and an enthusiastic alumnus.
Moral of the tale, go for it. Nothing to lose and a lot of great experiences to gain. You could bring experience, savvy, and wisdom to the house that bids you. Being an older brother sounds like it could be a benefit to everyone.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Let me be blunt.
1) Why in the hell would you want to do that?
2) Umm, ewww.
3) Stay away from my daughter, her friends, her sisters, or any other college-aged girl.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Let me be blunt.
1) Why in the hell would you want to do that?
2) Umm, ewww.
3) Stay away from my daughter, her friends, her sisters, or any other college-aged girl.
That's just plain nasty and rude to day. He didn't at any time mention girls. I seriously doubt even if he joined a fraternity that he would attend mixers. He's probably already married!! He wants to join for the brotherhood, not the social scene.

Get used to it, at many schools, the amount of older/returning students is going up and up (probably will even more with the job market in the toilet) and situations like this are going to be less and less rare.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Banned

What's wrong with being 46 and joining an organization? I've seen it happen before.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

He is talking about joining a "frat". My read on it is a social fraternity versus a service fraternity like A Phi O, honorary fraternity, fraternity based on your major, etc. Those organizations do have men and women of all ages. Not the same thing, IMHO. I don't think he would be coming on here asking about it if he was interested in joining one of them.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
He is talking about joining a "frat". My read on it is a social fraternity versus a service fraternity like A Phi O, honorary fraternity, fraternity based on your major, etc. Those organizations do have men and women of all ages. Not the same thing, IMHO. I don't think he would be coming on here asking about it if he was interested in joining one of them.
I never said that...I said I don't think he wants to join a social fraternity to meet 19 year old girls. If he wants to do that, he can do it a hell of a lot cheaper on the Internet.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Seriously, why on earth does a 46 year old want to hang around with a bunch of 18-22 year olds? And why would they want to hang around you?

because true brotherhood says so, that's why. And also, there are like other benefits and stuff besides. Police will be less likely to arrest people/be overly dickish if/when they come to bust a party. Plus, they might have a lot to teach other.

to the first poster: if you are at a school that has cool fraternities (don't say frat, it's bad form) and if one thinks you are cool, then they'll give you a bid.

Good luck.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I never said that...I said I don't think he wants to join a social fraternity to meet 19 year old girls. If he wants to do that, he can do it a hell of a lot cheaper on the Internet.
that gets expensive (just kidding)
Old 02-09-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
that gets expensive (just kidding)
Old 02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Banned

This would be a nonissue for some (maybe most, depending) chapters of BGLO frats and/or they would try to include a 46 year old collegiate member by working with the graduate/alumni chapter.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

National headquarters do not have an age limit, but bids are essentially up to each chapter's own discretion.