GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,202
2 members and 2,200 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh dang, what a treat to read about my school lol. I think I have some ideas. Can't wait to hear how this turns out.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2010, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Fun story!! My step cousin just rushed there this year, and my hubby went to TCU! For once in a rush story, I can pick out who's who ( but will not say anything). We're actually headed to TCU this weekend for a mini reunion and the game!

Anyways-excuse my hijack-keep your story coming!!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 coming up!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 3 - Skit Day!

So once again I bounce out of bed early in the morning! I felt a lot more confident today though just because I felt like I made a great impression at each house. Still, I was so nervous at the what if's. There was a maximum of 6 houses we could attend, and there was no house I was DREADING of going back to. Skit Day is a little dressier than Day 2 so I wore some heels and one of my favorite Sunday dresses. Once again, we meet up with our Rho Gamma's...they encourage everyone to go weigh their options, don't get too down on yourself if you get cut, etc. I realize I'm making them sound like lecturers but they were so sweet and helpful! It was really fun trying to guess their affiliations.

Here is my thought process...

So here we go. She's reading off our names, my anticipation is growing...oh gosh she's getting close to my last name, heartbeat rising faster and faster and faster...eek I might have a heart attack!

Here's my invites...oh godddd.

I look down and I see:

1. Michelle Obama
  2. Hillary Clinton
  3. Jackie Kennedy
  4. Martha Washington
  5. Nancy Reagan
  6. Laura Bush
A full schedule! Eleanor Roosevelt is gone...no big...I cut them. But...*sniff sniff* no Mary Todd Lincoln? Just as I was beginning to really like them! But I still have Jackie Kennedy, Martha Washington, and Hillary Clinton! Phew!

I really didn't feel that affected by the cut from the Mary Todd Lincoln's. I had a great day with them yesterday but both visits, there was a little question mark in my mind. I just assumed it wasn't meant to be and one of my Rho Gammas asked me how I felt and I replied great!

So off to my first party!

Hillary Clinton - So today I was brought in by a girl who was a counselor at my freshman camp session but wasn't my small group leader. She told me she had recognized me from camp and was excited to get to talk to me, which I took as a good sign! Their skit was funny and I was smiling and laughing the whole way through. There is just something so endearing about these girls. They aren't the most wow'ing sorority I've seen this week but there is absolutely nothing to dislike about them. I am really starting to see myself possibly finding my home here.

Martha Washington - Today I was brought in by a girl I met the first day and we instantly reconnected again. Their skit was SOO cute and hilarious, just like them. I was really enjoying my time here today and I had a small conversation with one girl who was kind of mousy and quiet, nothing at all like any of the other girls I had met. She was nice but not someone I would necessarily click with. Still, it was just one girl I hadn't had a great conversation with, and the first of the week with the Martha Washington's. Still definitely a top contender in my book!

Michelle Obama - These girls had been in the back of the pack the whole week for me. Their skit was cute, but a little predictable and not as funny as the others and I didn't feel like I learned much about their sorority. I talked to some of the same girls and they all said they were glad to see me, and I had good conversations. I couldn't put my finger on it, but this house just doesn't seem to be the right fit for me. Several girls in my group enjoyed them though.

Laura Bush - These girls are growing on me but they still aren't my favorite. I liked their skit and they decorated their house beautifully and I don't want to give anything away but I really like some of their symbolism. I got to talk to some great girls and it felt like just as I was starting to make a connection with the Laura Bush's it was time to go. After leaving their house today, I knew I was going to have a hard time ranking the houses for pref round.

Jackie Kennedy
- I am just so in love with this group. Their skit was amazing and they have some incredibly talented girls that perform and sang in their skit. This group is absolutely where I aspire to be. I got to talk to my favorite Southern Belle again today and she seemed so excited to see me! The best part about this group to me is that they have a lot of different types of girls but they all seem to be united under the sisterhood of Jackie Kennedy. There are some really fun, loud, outgoing girls and some more reserved and studious girls but they are all wonderful and beautiful. I'll be devastated if I get cut from this group tomorrow.

Nancy Reagan - Their skit today was soooo funny. I was literally laughing the whole time, they were 100% committed to it and my favorite girl from Day 1 was in the skit and did a great job. She came by and said hey to me after the skit was over and I was so glad I got to talk to her again. The other girls I talked to just couldn't really convince me that this was where I belonged though. They were saying nice things but I just feel like our personalities don't match up. I'm sure if I were to land in this sorority I'd find a small group of girls I'd connect with, but I want to pledge somewhere where I feel like I get along with everyone...or at least most of them. One girl I really liked didn't seem like enough to really make me want to be a part of this group.

So this was the hard part. I knew for sure my top two were Jackie Kennedy and Martha Washington. Coming into today I was pretty sure Hillary Clinton would be my #3, but Laura Bush put on a good showing so I felt a little torn. This was my most important ranking yet since I would only be returning to half of my invites from today. I wanted to make sure I was left with my three best options. And what about Nancy Reagan and Michelle Obama? Should I get some tough cuts who would I want to pref with just in case? I was one of the last girls left in our group to leave, cause I had such a tough time deciding. Eventually I persuaded myself to look at the week as a whole and not so much on just today, since the quality of a skit doesn't necessarily correspond to how I would fit in the sorority.

1. Jackie Kennedy
2. Martha Washington
3. Hillary Clinton
4. Laura Bush
5. Michelle Obama
6. Nancy Reagan

Last edited by froggiegirl; 10-08-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

great posts! can't wait to hear more.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking forward to hearing the rest! Good luck!
Old 10-11-2010, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Great story! I live in Fort Worth, so I'm looking forward to the rest of your journey.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey everyone...sorry I haven't updated in what seems like forever! We had a fall break and I was busy visiting some friends at a different school and just never seemed to have enough time to sit down and write the next part of my story. Coming soon I promise!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Finally, I can't wait to hear the rest.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Pref Round!

We meet with our Rho Gam’s although now it feels like so many girls are gone. A lot of girls dropped yesterday and even more would do the same today. Our RG’s warned us that today might be the toughest day of cuts for us since Pref Round would be by far the most serious part of recruitment. Up to this point I had been having a fabulous recruitment, pretty much getting almost everything I want out of it…and then I saw my pref card:

1. Laura Bush
2. Jackie Kennedy
3. Michelle Obama

Oh my god? Where are Martha Washington and Hillary Clinton? How could this happen?? I cried in front of my Rho Gamma. She talked on one-on-one with me about the situation, and pointed out that I still had Jackie Kennedy, which had been my #1 all week long. Of course I was elated about that factor, but I really loved the other two houses that cut me. And what if something goes wrong during my rounds tonight and I blow it? On the plus side, I had a full schedule and the other two sororities were both houses that I had enjoyed throughout the week. So after a temporary time-out to fix my makeup, which I had slightly ruined with my tears, I walked over to the Laura Bush house in my little black dress and heels.

Laura Bush – Everyone was led in and it was much quieter than any round I had experienced before. I was paired with a girl I had talked to more than once throughout the week. I had always gotten along really well with her and was glad she was who I got to sit with. We sat down together and their ceremony was really touching and gave me goosebumps. Other girls were crying, but I didn’t. Honestly I think I was a little emotionally removed from the situation because of just having to come into this house after my little breakdown episode. Afterward, the girl asked me how my week had been and what I was feeling. I felt like I could just be completely honest with her, and since our Rho Gamma’s told us to tell the sororities how we were feeling, I didn’t hold back. I told her that I really had enjoyed my time at Laura Bush, but I didn’t think it was my home. I told her there was another house I had my heart set on but that I wouldn’t mind being in this house if it wasn’t meant to be (with the Jackie Kennedy’s). She then told me that she actually didn’t have Laura Bush as her #1 during rush, but since her pledgeship and time as an active, she has grown to love it more than anything, made great friends, and couldn’t imagine herself in the other house. This may seem a little blunt to tell a PNM, but I promise it came off as very genuine. The party was really nice and special, and I left knowing that I could be happy if I were to land in Laura Bush.

Jackie Kennedy – Going in I was SO nervous. After being cut from my #2 and #3, I felt like I had everything to lose. The other girls that were waiting to go inside with me were all beautiful and feeling the same way I was, I felt like I would love to be a part of this pledge class. I was brought in by my favorite girl all week, the Southern Belle! We talked about a lot of the same things that I had shared with the Laura Bush. I shared that I had loved Jackie Kennedy all week long, and had ranked them #1 every time. They were my absolute favorite and where I wanted to be more than anywhere else. She seemed so happy to hear me saying all this and practically squealed. Their ceremony was amazing and this time I couldn’t hold back the tears. What these girls were sharing was so special and moving. Their sisterhood seemed stronger than anywhere else I had felt the entire week. Conversation with the girl I was paired with was so natural, and I really hoped that if I became a Jackie Kennedy she would be my big. As were preparing to leave, she told me she really hoped to see me tomorrow, and I smiled back. I was practically floating on air once I left.

Michelle Obama – I was still on a Jackie Kennedy-high when I came to this house, so in a way I think I shut myself off mentally to wanting to like any other house. I hadn’t talked to the girl that brought me in, which I found a little strange. She seemed like she was trying to be very dear and genuine, but everything felt forced. I thought there ceremony was also really nice and other girls cried, but I never felt “the moment”. She asked me how I was feeling about rush overall and I told her pretty much what I told Laura Bush; that I enjoyed my time here but had my heart set on somewhere else. Even then, I had this strange feeling that I shouldn’t even be here. I knew deep down that I probably would’ve enjoyed preffing more with Nancy Reagan but because I was so caught up in the tent talk, I had cut them. It’s not necessarily that I saw myself as a Nancy Reagan, but I think even to this day, months later, they were a better choice for me personally. This house just wasn't right for me I felt like deep inside even though I'm sure it would be ag reat fit for others. I left Michelle Obama on a really uncertain tone.

After the rounds were over, we were led into our Rho Gamam groups where they stressed the importance of our decisions. We talked about suiciding and they strongly discouraged it. Other girls seemed really torn about their rankings, but I signed my card quickly and left.

1. Jackie Kennedy
2. Laura Bush
3. Michelle Obama

I didn’t really give any serious consideration to suiciding or leaving Michelle Obama off. I knew I wanted to be in a sorority, even if it wasn’t my first choice. I felt like I gave my best impression possible this week and now it was out of my hands.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

really can't wait to hear the last part!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Can't wait to hear about Bid Day! Don't make us wait so long for an update this time.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

froggiegirl ~ please come back soon I am caught up in your story!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

loving your story froggiegirl.....don't keep us hanging on!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to read about your Bid Day!