GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,247
2 members and 1,245 guests
naraht, sabellashulzez9

Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Creating a Social Sorority

I have a very tight knit group of friends that spans the nation. Recently several of these ladies approached me about making us OFFICIAL and starting a sorority. I realize this will be a purely social and community service based sorority (which we do naturally as an outgrowth of our friendship...however we want to make it more formal) , however I have no idea on how to go about starting one. I've seen some of the posts on here, but I have yet to find specific information on the web on how to go about doing this.

Specific questions I have include: is there some national society or database or association that we must first request permission from, or set ourselves up with? How does one go about incorporating rituals, rules and traditions from scratch? Are there certain things that MUST be included in order to be considered legitimate and serious?

Thanks for your help guys in advance!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Unregistered-

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showthread.php?t=93174
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Soooo...your group's social and service acitivites aren't legit because you don't have letters? I hope there's more that's being considered in the creation of this new group.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Soooo...your group's social and service acitivites aren't legit because you don't have letters? I hope there's more that's being considered in the creation of this new group.
What are you talking about? I never said any such thing...what I DID say is that right now we are very INFORMAL and we would like to make it FORMAL.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

^Exactly, and there should be more to it than your friends just wanting to have a "formal" bond with each other.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashamai View Post
What are you talking about? I never said any such thing...what I DID say is that right now we are very INFORMAL and we would like to make it FORMAL.
...which is exactly why I posed the question. If doing your service and social activities is working now, do you think something will change once you become a sorority? It will still be the same girls doing the same thing -- but you'll have extra policies/procedures that you'll have to adhere to (if you're planning on making this into a campus organization).

If you just want your group to have a title, it might serve you better to join a community organization. Or if you really want to be a member of a GLO, try looking into one that's already established. Setting up a new organization is a lot of work (especially if you're trying to tap into a market that's already being served, which seems to be the case).

Last edited by knight_shadow; 11-05-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:48 PM

I think the questions that's being asked here is why a group of friends who like to hang out and do service together need to be a sorority to be official?

Why can't you just join a service organization (Circle K or something) already on campus? Why is there a need for Greek Letters to be attached to it?

This is a valid question.

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

How do you plan on unifying "your very tight knit group of friends that spans the nation" in one location to perform your social service activites? What activities do you currently do as a group and how do you come together to get them accomplished?
Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a little confused by your "spans the nation" description, too. Do you mean you all come from different places but are together in one place now? Or do you mean that you are close friends with people who currently live in different places across the country? That second scenario does not lend itself well to the formation of a new sorority that will last.

I don't think it's necessary to pin the OP to the wall about why this group wants to evolve from a group of friends to a group of sisters. And suggesting they joing a service club instead does not address her original question.

To the OP: No, there is not central entity with whom you must register. Try to select a Greek letter name combination that has meaning to you but is not in use by another org. (Good luck with that. It will be tough.) Unfortunately, there is no recipe for creating traditions, symbols, and rituals. Start with just the bare bones and let the rest develop over time. You are no more or less legitimate if you have a simple structure. These things don't define the strength of your sisterhood bonds --- that comes from your love and respect for each other.

One thing to consider, though.... Since the girls who want to create this new organization are already so tight, how will it change the group dynamic to bring in new members? This might be your biggest challenge. Your group might seem cliquish to a PNM looking in from the outside.