GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,513
0 members and 1,513 guests
No Members online

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Things you miss about your home state. Where were you raised? Where do you live now?

I from Nashville, TN. Now living in Jackson, MI. I miss Nashville weather, the friendly people, and just the overall atmosphere and environment. There was a lot of interesting, and historical things to do there. I'm a huge history guy, and Nashville had a lot of that. Visiting some of the former slave plantations was interesting because a lot of it was untouched for historical purposes.

I recently took a promotion so I ended up in Jackson, MI. To be quite honest, Michigan sucks!
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
I from Nashville, TN. Now living in Jackson, MI. I miss Nashville weather, the friendly people, and just the overall atmosphere and environment. There was a lot of interesting, and historical things to do there. I'm a huge history guy, and Nashville had a lot of that. Visiting some of the former slave plantations was interesting because a lot of it was untouched for historical purposes.

I recently took a promotion so I ended up in Jackson, MI. To be quite honest, Michigan sucks!
LOL.
Same state, other end. Grew up in Cincinnati, live near Cleveland. I miss some of my childhood friendships w/ peeps still at home. I keep up w/ my closest boys elsewhere in the U.S. -- Chicago, College Park, Md., Columbus and elsewhere, but I miss the hometown friendships that were good as a kid, but have faded over time.

I have a good friend here (an AKA and foine) who grew up here. It's madd cool to watch her interact with friends she's had over her lifetime. Plusses/minues to be sure, but that looks cool. I get that when I return home, and at reunions and such, but it's different.

Bruh, you'll have do those slave plantations for me. I remember taking my then 8 year old to a plantation display that was part of a museum, to let her see what that period was like. Lil sista was heated, seeing what the treatment was like. ...I understood.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 12-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm from both Houston and the Hill Country of Texas, now living in NW Georgia.

I really miss my family, bluebonnets, the beach, and the Hill Country.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
LOL.
Same state, other end. Grew up in Cincinnati, live near Cleveland. I miss some of my childhood friendships w/ peeps still at home. I keep up w/ my closest boys elsewhere in the U.S. -- Chicago, College Park, Md., Columbus and elsewhere, but I miss the hometown friendships that were good as a kid, but have faded over time.

I have a good friend here (an AKA and foine) who grew up here. It's madd cool to watch her interact with friends she's had over her lifetime. Plusses/minues to be sure, but that looks cool. I get that when I return home, and at reunions and such, but it's different.

Bruh, you'll have do those slave plantations for me. I remember taking my then 8 year old to a plantation display that was part of a museum, to let her see what that period was like. Lil sista was heated, seeing what the treatment was like. ...I understood.
Is the AKA single? Lol.

Bruh, you'd like the Harding plantation. Everything is intact just like it was after the Civil War. Some things were damaged from the Civil War, but that's part of history. The bullets and holes are still lodged on some parts of the house. The crazy thing about the history there, there were some former slaves that "owned" slaves themselves. It was really interesting.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm from DC. I still live in DC. I miss black people. :-(
Old 12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ ditto to NYC.

I could fill this WHOLE thread moving from NY to MI. I don't have nearly enough time.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I from Dilworth, Minnesota. Loved it there, and I miss it. At one time we would call Dilworth, Fargo, Minnesota because at one time, we used Fargo, ND's post office and Zip Code.

Michigan is okay, I guess. I like that I'm close to places outside of Michigan that I love. Cedar Point, and Niagara Falls are the best. I also enjoy Mackinac Island (Michigan). I live in Novi, MI. which is a really fun, nice, and friendly city to live in. That, and Michigan State has one of, if not, the best vet schools in the country. I feel privileged to have graduated from there.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I am from Tennessee, moved away for about a decade and came back home. I miss the small town that I grew up in. Even though my zip code hasn't changed, I don't live in the same city I grew up in by a long stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
Alright stick with me on this lol! Born in Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, but moved to a suburb of Raleigh, NC when I was 6. I lived there until I was almost 16 and moved to Mesa, AZ where I graduated high school and started undergrad at ASU. Once I finished my third year at ASU, I moved back to Raleigh and finished my undergrad at NC State. When my husband and I were engaged, he got a new job in Atlanta, so we moved there for 2 years, but then moved back to the Raleigh area.

The Raleigh area is my home as I have lived and moved back here 3 times and I just need to stop moving away from here lol. Probably won't be moving far away anytime soon as we bought our house here a year and a half ago.

Pretty much almost all of my family is in Niagara Falls: my grandmother, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc so I miss them...and Tim Horton donuts lol!

I miss the grid-system streets of the Phoenix area, which made it super easy to get around! When I left Phoenix, they were building the light rail so I have never been on it.

Honestly, I will NOT miss Atlanta traffic. However, my husband and I were both able to take the MARTA to work and had the same hours so we could take the MARTA together in the mornings and in the afternoons. For when I was working and living back here in NC, I missed not having to drive to work.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Grew up in Rochester NY. Now live in Atlanta GA.

I miss:
lilacs
beautiful summers
Lake Ontario
Zweigle's hot dogs
hot sauce
good Italian food
Wegman's
frozen custard
Old 12-16-2014, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in Iowa and have lived or worked in Maine, Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and California, as well as the UAE.
What I miss about Iowa is the political sophistication of its residents. I know outsiders don't believe it but Iowans (at least Eastern Iowans) really do take their responsibility to the nation seriously. And now living in Kansas I am knocked over the head daily with the phenomenal level of stupidity of the electorate here.

Also a good pork tenderloin.

Last edited by DubaiSis; 12-16-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in Kentucky and moved to Louisiana after I graduated from college. I never intended to stay but met my husband and never left. I really miss fall!!! Also there is a pizza place in my hometown that I love. Whenever I go home my sister has a pizza waiting for me. I miss going to the races. Horse races in Louisiana aren't the same.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I was born in Alaska, grew up in Maine, and moved to Philly after graduation. I work in the city and I think it's awesome, and now that I've lived here longer than I lived in Maine, I consider myself more from Philly. I don't miss Maine at all, except for Humpty Dumpty potato chips.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I was born in Virginia, grew up in Texas, and have been back in Virginia since my husband and I both retired. My ancestors called me home! It's great once again to live with many of my cousins nearby. All of our four children and families are within a few hours driving distance. Between leaving Texas after college and returning to Virginia, I lived in Colombia, SA; Washington, DC; Vienna, Austria ; and Southern Maryland for 25 years before coming home to Virginia.

What I miss most in Texas other than great Tex Mex food are my friends still there. They range from those I have known since elementary school, to high school, and then college. And of course my Chi Omega sisters!

Chi Omega
Old 12-16-2014, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

When I left Cali, I missed sunshine, mild weather, great Mexican food, and the beach. I went to a few places but always missed the beach! That's what attracted me to Virginia Beach but then I missed living in a racially diverse area. I missed grocery stores being open later than 10pm and being able to buy wine on Sunday. I missed open-minded people the most--my area in Virginia was mostly conservative, religious people who had no tolerance for anything outside their bubble. People would call themselves my friends then say the most racist things when they thought I couldn't hear. That's what had me running back home. Whether I stay here or settle somewhere else, I can't live in a place with lots of different cultures.

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.