GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,608
2 members and 2,606 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-25-2001, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Gre--prep options?

Dreading the Gre test in December. Need some help re: deciding on who to use to help me prep. There's a Kaplans and a Princeton Review in my town. Anyone have any experiences with either of these companies? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2001, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool re: gre

I'll vote for Princeton Review, largely based on the fact that I did pretty well on the test by just using their "Cracking the GRE" book. I do know others who have taken their prep courses and never heard anything negative.
Old 10-28-2001, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

I also bought Princeton's cracking the GRE, but I found Kaplan's "Higher Score on the GRE" CD rom better because it was interactive, has tons of practice tests...3 full CAT GRE tests and I really have improved my score since I took the diagnostic. For me, it was the same as paying hundreds for a formal course, yet I could still go at my own pace...loved it.
Old 10-28-2001, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I would tell you to get the book or the CD Rom, and skip the class. As long as you have the self-discipline to do the exercises and practice on your own, you will save a lot of money.
Old 10-28-2001, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Heather
I used the REA Testware cd for the GRE, it had a lot of word building activities which I needed and I also went online to www.Testtutor.com They were great, both (from what I remember) allowed you to start a test, anwer a few questions, stop, and finish the test later. They told you your how long it too you overall, your weak areas, and gave you lessons on what you needed help on. Using the computer was helpful to me b/c it kept me from falling asleep like a book would, and was more like a game. (but I know some people would prefer either the class or the book.) My school also offered a practice test for $5, you got to keep the book so in my opinion it was worth the $5 just to get the book and your scores.

I read a poster in the psych dept here and it said that the format of the test is supposed to change in fall of 2002. Supposedly they are taking out the analytical section and replacing it with an analytical writing section. That's about all I know about it, but if anyone is thinking of taking it next year, you may want to look into that.