GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,396
2 members and 1,394 guests
chironthearcher

Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

How to impress a frat?

So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-27-2011, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
For starters, don't refer to them as a frat.

What's that suppose to mean?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
So I'm a third year and I'm not a transfer student. My friends from freshman and sophomore year didn't like the greek system so I was always scared of rushing. Long story short, I decided it's time for me to do things for myself and stop thinking what other people thought.

So anyways, I approached one of the top houses today and I could tell they weren't too enthusiastic about me. I went in not realizing they were one of the top houses and I'm not sure if I left an impression. They asked if I played any sports (which I didn't) and one of the bros completely turned his back on me to chat with a couple freshman. In the end, two of the bros told me I should go to info night and stuff but I could tell they just told me because they were polite.

I don't even know if I would want to join them even IF I got a bid from them (I heard they do some serious hazing stuff) but I wish I could at least be in good standings with them so I can have more options.

So suggestions on how I can impress these "cool kids from high school" type of frat?
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?

Last edited by DeltaBetaBaby; 09-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What's that suppose to mean?
*supposed

Also, it is "fraternity", not "frat". That's what it is supposed to mean.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.

Last edited by 33girl; 09-27-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Why do you want to impress a fraternity that isn't interested in you? Why don't you look at other groups that may actually like you?
I agree.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I have decided that all of these newbies who come on & start their posts with "So..." followed by a completely ridiculous question are the same troll. Notice how many of them do that?
I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great. It's natural, just like people want to rub shoulders with celebrities, rushees want to be associated with top houses.

Obviously a fraternity's social status isn't everything. But it does make a difference, say for example if their personalities seem just "ok" but I got a bid for the top houses, I would probably pick that over a fraternity with "great" personality but gives out bids to everyone.

Last edited by Kirain; 09-27-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You're in college. Stop acting like you're in high school. Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy) with brothers (calling them bros is tacky, trashy and overly familiar) that are interested in you and what you have to offer.

Thank you for being helpful. I did not know that, I will refer to them as fraternity from now on.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I am asking a legitimate question. I know the people on here have said why not just join the fraternity that you like and one that likes you back...but honestly, everyone wants to be in a good respected fraternity. That means top houses are more desirable even if the initial connection isn't all that great.
No, honestly everyone does not. You want to be in the fraternity where you fit best. Who cares if that's not the "top" house. (And whose opinion of "top" counts?)

Bottom line -- you won't impress them by trying to impress them. It doesn't work that way. Be yourself, or both you and they are in for disappointment later. If you want brotherhood, then go for the group where you think you'll find that and where they see that potential in you. But if all you want is status and image, then by all means focus on the "top" house.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Find a fraternity (calling it a frat is tacky and trashy because the particular council-conference-culture of fraternities that you are talking about do not use "frat")....
There you go.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Better suggestion ...

Join a fraternity for the brotherhood, and make it have that star image.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a "FRATERNITY" can be life changing!

Why?

You meet guys you know now and after graduation. It is called networking.

But, while they may not be one of the large ones, the important part ie do you fit with them?

That is important.
What can you give them and visversa?

Hey, I only know it was uplifting for me!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

If there are more than just a few fraternities on your campus, there are probably a few "top" chapters, a few "bottom" chapters, and several chapters that would be perfectly respectable. Cast a wider net.