GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,380
1 members and 1,379 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2009, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thinking about starting a new fraternity on campus...Need advice

I am thinking about starting a new fraternity on campus (a national recognized one). I have somewhat narrowed it down to Theta Chi or hi Delta Theta..

The only concern I have with starting one of these are that the laws set by national are that NO alcohol are allowed anywhere on the chapters property. Basically meaning the Greek house/property must be alcohol free at all times.

An upside is that my university is building a Greek village (should be completed in a couple months). The houses that are being built are huge; the house would basically be 20 bedrooms/ 23 baths, chapter meeting room, living/dining, kitchen, patio etc...(the house would also be completely furnished.

The community will contain many other great things such as basketball court, volleyball court, open field, and there will be a community commons with study rooms, studio apartments for guest (maybe if your parents come to visit), and its gated etc…

There will also be a building located in the community where you can host events (parties) etc.....

Is there anyone in the Theta Chi or Phi Delta Theta fraternities?
Do you all think it would be hard to get new members to join etc....?
Any advice would be great...
Also if you have any other fraternities you would recommend I look into that would be great.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 PM

If you're interested in starting a chapter of a national fraternity on campus, you need to FIRST contact the Greek Life Advisor/Director at your school and see if your school is open to having a new fraternity colony on campus. I know that fraternity expansion is different from sorority expansion, but I'd assume that the school still has to approve any additions of new fraternity chapters.

I'd also recommend visiting the fraternity websites and contacting their personnel in charge of expansion. Once they know you're interested, they'll let you know if your school is a place where they would like to consider having a colony (since every fraternity hsa different things they're looking for when deciding whether their fraternity is a good fit for the school.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Also:

Ask yourself some questions:

Why do I want to start a new fraternity?

What can a new fraternity add to the school that the exisiting fraternities don't already have?

Does the school get enough interest in fraternities to support another colony? Are the chapters all growing in size, or are there chapters who are strugging to maintain the bare minimum of numbers?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Also:

Ask yourself some questions:

Why do I want to start a new fraternity?

What can a new fraternity add to the school that the exisiting fraternities don't already have?

Does the school get enough interest in fraternities to support another colony? Are the chapters all growing in size, or are there chapters who are strugging to maintain the bare minimum of numbers?
I have contacted my schools Greek Life Director and they are acceping new applications for fraternities on campus. I also contacted all the organizations I was interested in starting at my campus and talked with each one my university meet all the requirements to be granted a colony...

I wouls say the school's greek scene is growing every year. That is one reason the university has built this Greek Village. This greek village is not small at all. It contains about 20-23 Greek housing which are all 20 bed/23 bath, and there are about 6-7 townhoses for smaller greek organizations. Then there is the community commons for guest

So I would think that the school would not spend millions of dollars building this community if the greek scene on campus was not growing
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 PM

Greek Life may be growing on campus, but you have to think about how YOUR potential colony would appeal to students. If there are alot of fraternity chapters, guys will ask, why should I join this NEW fraternity if I can just join one that's already established?

For example, my alma mater has like 16 fraternity chapters, they all have to work VERY hard to promote themselves and distinguish themselves from each other, in order to draw in guys. Any new colony that has come in has had a really rough time finding members.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Quote:
Greek Life may be growing on campus, but you have to think about how YOUR potential colony would appeal to students. If there are alot of fraternity chapters, guys will ask, why should I join this NEW fraternity if I can just join one that's already established?

For example, my alma mater has like 16 fraternity chapters, they all have to work VERY hard to promote themselves and distinguish themselves from each other, in order to draw in guys. Any new colony that has come in has had a really rough time finding members.
My boyfriend is in a colony at a school that already has a lot of fraternities and a relatively small greek population compared to the student body population. They have had a hard time recruiting new men for this very reason, KSUViolet brings up a very good point and something that is definitely worth considering. BF is constantly talking about how nationals wants them to get more members but how it is hard to compete with all the other chapters that have been around for a lot longer.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

With any new member they would want to know why should they join one opposed to the other but being a new one will create more challenges because we are technically unestablished on campus.
---Unlike other greek houses on campus we cannot say we have specific traditions/events that happen; which might interest new members

Honestly at the starting of the fraternity I would say the "only" thing we can offer new members is the chance to help create a new tradition. because within the first year all members will help mold the fraternity and it gives them a chance to leave their mark at the school. and also it gives them a chance to have input on what rules etc... are adopted by the house, So that way they are not just joining a fraternity they like they are building one that they like
Old 02-21-2009, 09:40 PM

I know like 2 of your posts mention the new Greek Village at your school. As a new fraternity, you may not have the resources to move into Greek Village right away, because I'm sure it costs money and you need to get the numbers to support the housing.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know like 2 of your posts mention the new Greek Village at your school. As a new fraternity, you may not have the resources to move into Greek Village right away, because I'm sure it costs money and you need to get the numbers to support the housing.

You are correct this is where my school comes in as doing everything they can to help students out:

Instead of the organization paying a monthly rent to live in the greek village.

The structured it where its like living in in dorms on campus. You know how if you live on campus there is a housing fee and either your financial aid covers it or you pay it out of pocket.

It's exactly like that each student that wants to live in the greek village is charge individually and its about $2400 each semester. That $2400/semester is added to their school bill so their financial aid can cover it or for them to pay out of pocket. They are even allowing students to pay in monthly installments if needed.

That includes access to everything, including all utilities, high speed Internet, cable, phones etc....

But there is a $20,000/year (which can be paid in $5,000 increments over the course of the academic year (10 months)) fee charged to the greek organization for use of the community commons and all other amenities available to the students. But i have been able to have the school reduce the fee to 10k during our first year
Old 02-21-2009, 10:03 PM

That's a very cool arrangement. The fee is still something you'll need the numbers to be able to pay.

I guess for now your main concern would be getting the requisite number of guys you need to form a colony. Even if a national org doesn't require a certain # of guys to make a colony, they still will require a certain # in order to make a chapter.

That's going to be your biggest hurdle in terms of starting a new group.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's a very cool arrangement. The fee is still something you'll need the numbers to be able to pay.

I guess for now your main concern would be getting the requisite number of guys you need to form a colony. Even if a national org doesn't require a certain # of guys to make a colony, they still will require a certain # in order to make a chapter.

That's going to be your biggest hurdle in terms of starting a new group.

Yea, the group I am considering requires 20 members to start and by 2nd pledge we should obtain about 40-50

But I will not start with less than 30 members starting Fall 2009

That fee is something to have to look as of right now since the village is not complete, We have now until Fall 2009 to gain 30 members.
With that 30 members each member will only have to pay their regular fees and an additional $20/month for the fee t be covered.

I am thinking about mainly targeting incoming freshman and transfer students.....I am in the process of talking with on of the better sororities on campus to help with recruitment
Old 02-22-2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagent19 View Post

I am in the process of talking with on of the better sororities on campus to help with recruitment

Note: The process of recruiting men is a bit different than a sorority recruiting women.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Note: The process of recruiting men is a bit different than a sorority recruiting women.
I think he means having them show up at rush parties as hostesses. Be very careful with this concept, if you get a rep before you're even established as snobbish and not wanting to socialize w/ the "lower" sororities, the girls will be ticked and your name will be mud. Ask women from ALL the sororities.

Question: if you don't like Theta Chi & Phi Delt's alcohol policies, why do you want to go with them? It seems counterproductive. It would be one thing if this was a specific value you espoused, but it seems to be something you see as a negative. You should look at other fraternities instead - you don't want to be fighting w/ your national from the moment you begin.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure what national fraternity would have a pro-alcohol policy, though..

I friend of mine founded a Theta Chi colony a few years ago and it's now a strong thriving chapter with around 40 guys. It's at a fairly large school, so of course 40 isn't large, but they're doing what they can. You just have to really be committed and never lose that drive to be great.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:17 AM

Most national fraternities do NOT have a policy that bans alcohol completely from the house. Phi Delt and Theta Chi do, at least for new chapters.

He seems to be upset with that restriction, therefore I suggested he pursue a group that doesn't have it.