GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Gamma Delta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,391
3 members and 2,388 guests
MethrenLusia, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 07-02-2003, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

AYE to AGD's Hannah!! AND to KU's new house!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a more detailed news story on KU's battle for approval of their new home. Congrats again for all of your hard work! I can't wait to see what it looks like.

http://www.kansan.com/stories.asp?id=200307020019

Edited to add another article on the building of the KU house.
http://www.kansan.com/stories.asp?id=200307090012

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-09-2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Question does this count?

Hi all

I'm not sure if this counts or not, but my likeness & a few quotes have been in a number of newspapers and website over the past few days following the announcement that Vancouver won the right to host the 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Winter Games I have been volunteering for the bid for the past six months (about 285 hours) and had my face painted with a big Canadian flag at the big announcement event here.

From what I've heard, in the US there was a small picture of me on the cover of Thursday USA Today, and I was also on the cover of the Seattle Times. In Canada I somehow ended up in about 7 or 8 newspapers ~ guess they aren't used to seeing such Canadian patriotism!

Here are some links ...

liEP,
~ Jennifer
AGD - DZ '97
Old 07-05-2003, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, you must have used invisible paint cause the links don't appear, lol!!

Anyway, congratulations!!
Old 07-09-2003, 10:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Jennifer that is great! I would love to see the links if you want to post them again.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Jen, WOW! I didn't realize that was you! I never buy USA Today, but for some reason we purchased that issue last week. I have to go home now and see if we brought it back with us from AZ, so I can look at it more closely. Either way, I know exactly what picture you are talking about, lol!
Old 07-10-2003, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

This is an article I noticed quite a while back. I hope that she gets the information on the centennial quilt. Her patch would be really special.

Full Text:
Copyright Columbian Publishing Company Jun 5, 2003

Susan Simshaw, 52, never had a "master plan" for her life.

But that's OK with her.

Going with the flow led to marriage, fraternal twins, a passion for quilting and her extensive garden at her Cascade Park home -- all of which helped her survive breast cancer.

"I've never planned my life in any way. When you allow your life to evolve in the way it does, you don't have any disappointments," Simshaw said.

When she had breast cancer, "I just wanted to go to my doctor appointments and be a mom ... and be totally normal. I didn't go to support groups. My support was just being home and doing gardening, quilting and being with my kids."

Born and raised in Great Falls, Mont., Simshaw joined Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and graduated from Montana State University in Bozeman, Mont., in 1973.

She went on to teach elementary school in Denver and Helena, Mont. for several years before deciding to be a stay-at-home mother after her twins were born.

"It's the greatest honor and privilege to stay home," she said. "It took me about a minute and a half to decide" to quit work when her husband, Calvin, asked what she wanted to do.

The Simshaw family moved to Clark County in 1989. Calvin, also 52, is a corporate attorney in Vancouver. Their 17-year-old son and daughter, Drew and Darby, will graduate from Mountain View High School this month.

Susan adapted to life in the Pacific Northwest in two ways: gardening and quilting.

"Gardening totally evolved. I didn't set out with a plan," she said.

She became interested in gardening about four years ago but didn't know the first thing about it. So she followed around a friend who was a gardener and bought what her friend bought.

Now she has a perennial garden and waterfall in her back yard that she works on year-round. The front yard boasts several rose bushes and other flowers.

"Gardening is like quilting. I like putting colors together, moving things around ... and then you sit back and just enjoy it. It's such a pleasure," Simshaw said.

During the past 17 years, she has taught quilting classes and has made 94 impressive quilts of all sizes. They adorn the walls, doors and shelves of her home. Her quilting award ribbons hang in their own space in her hobby room.

"I've met my best friends through quilting ... who I know I'll have forever. And I was able to keep teaching that way."

Her latest project is a quilt with 400 four-inch blocks. She has 56 blocks completed and admits it's a lofty goal.

Another project with special meaning is the quilt Simshaw made to commemorate her five-year anniversary of surviving breast cancer.

After a routine mammogram in 1997, she got the call later that week that every woman dreads.

"The surgeon said I had cancer, have a good weekend and I'll be fine -- all in the same sentence," Simshaw said. "It's like when you get news about a death. You're stunned. You immediately think about your children and start imagining your children without you."

Simshaw was supposed to see the doctor on a Tuesday. By the Monday before, she said, she was a basket case and went to the doctor to insist on more information.

"I was sleep deprived and scared. All I knew was I had cancer. The lack of information in the beginning is the worst."

At the doctor's visit, Simshaw learned she had a slow-growing, colloid carcinoma a bit smaller than a half-inch in diameter. Fortunately the cancer was in an early stage.

"Once I saw it was in stage one, I knew I had a fighting chance. I started pulling myself out of my grave and could breathe again."

The next step was surgery. Simshaw underwent a lumpectomy, which took half of one breast.

For the next seven weeks, she drove to Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland for five-minute radiation treatments six days a week.

During the next five years, she took tamoxifen to block estrogen, since her tumor was estrogen driven. Fortunately she didn't experience side effects that can accompany the medicine.

She also went in for mammograms every three months for three years, then every six months for the next two years.

Now she's back to annual mammograms.

Susan said her family was very supportive through the ordeal. She had a hard time talking about it, but things are different now.

"Now I can talk about it. Last year I ran for Race for the Cure for the first time," Susan said.

Susan treats her future with the same philosophy she always has: whatever will be, will be.

"If something (the cancer) shows up again, we'll start over. I told my surgeon, 'I just want to see my kids graduate from high school.' Now it's happening."

- Very inspiring
Old 07-18-2003, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I really hate MTV's Fraternity Life. But I was google searching. And there was a mention of our girls in Buffalo on the website. Shallow, but very complimentary. Check out question 10

Alex

Chapter Pres

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-18-2003 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool "I'm kinda in the news...and cause it, "

Actually, I've been named Publicity Chair for the Atlanta Southern Crescent Panhellenic Assn...the one that Cele founded. So I get to send in announcements of our meetings and wonderful accomplishments...at least until next term, lol.

((I'll have to tell hubby about the Buffalo comments...he grew up there until he moved to Alabama, lol. ))
Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Way to be a part of the news Lynn!
Sounds like a cool position!

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-22-2003 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

As you can tell, I do a daily search through the news. Usually an obit doesn't show up, and if one does I don't usually post it. But this one caught my eye. Maybe it is because of the theme of the last quarterly. And maybe it was this quote from the article.
Quote:
At UC, Mrs. Schneider was a member of Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, serving as president in 1942-43. She remained close to her Alpha Gam sisters until her death.
Arley Bell Schneider welcomed visitors
Old 07-25-2003, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

News story regarding fundraiser in memory of Christine Wilson one of our three Zeta sisters who died in the fire this past April at Ohio State.

5K run to be held in Christine Wilson's honor
Old 07-29-2003, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

13 vie for crown at Iowa State Fair

Our girls are diverse . I know some sisters that have never even seen a live animal. LOL. But we have agricultural leaders just the same. Good luck to Jaclyne!

Tuesday, July 29, 2003
ANKENY, Iowa -- Thirteen girls will compete for the Iowa Dairy Princess title Aug. 6 at the Iowa State Fair.

Jaclyne Hamlett, 19, Arlington, is the reigning Iowa Holstein Princess. Hamlett is in 4-H, FFA, District 1 Junior Holstein Association Reporter, ISU Dairy Science Club and Alpha Gamma Delta Women's Sorority. She attends Iowa State University. Her parents are Matt and Jana Hamlett.

Click here for full story.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea, lol!! Maybe next year, Miss Iowa!
Old 07-30-2003, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Speaking of Miss Iowa, wasn't she an Alpha Gam in 2001 or 2002?

Good luck, Jaclyne (from one of those sisters who has never really seen a cow up close)!