GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,312
1 members and 2,311 guests
asydneytianov33

Old 08-20-2015, 11:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Student Teaching and Sorority President?

Hi everyone! So I have question about something that I have been considering for a while. I really want to run for president of my chapter in upcoming elections this fall. The only concern is that I would be doing my student teaching during the last semester of the office term. Most people who are education majors in my chapter go alumn before they do their internship, but I really want the opportunity. I have fairly good time management skills and will really be narrowing down my extra curricular activities in my last year, except for sorority stuff. Has anyone else done both? Is it possible? Any thoughts or advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2015, 04:29 AM

Maybe this could work IF

- your chapter is fairly small (less than 50 members) and overprogramming isn't an issue
- you are student teaching at a school within 5 miles from your campus
- your chapter meetings are on a weekend afternoon or evening. You ever know what's going to hold you up during the day.
- things in your chapter are running on a fairly even keel and you don't anticipate any problems

EVEN IF all these things apply, I would really think twice about running for president.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I commend your drive and even considering taking both on. But student teaching from what my friends who are teachers told me, is a lot like having a real job as a teacher. There's probably a good reason your chapter sisters who were education majors went alum when they did their internship.

Doing both, I feel like you'd end up spreading yourself too thin, and doing both roles a disservice. Again, I admire your willingness to step up. Also think of it this way, after your collegiate days are long gone, and you do want to serve your sorority in some way that you feel like would be meaningful to you there are opportunities once you are an alumnae. Best of luck in your final year.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I did both in 1982!

Seriously though, every situation is different. I say GO FOR IT, if you think you can handle it. Being President of your chapter is a huge honor, privilege & responsibility. I learned more in that position than anything else I did in college.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I'd also think about what the alternatives are. Is there another woman who'd be an excellent president, and you could take a strong supporting role as VP or something similar? Or are you really the clear, best choice?
Old 08-21-2015, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, in a really well-run organization the president delegates and oversees. I could see a person having time for president but NOT having time for VP. But that is only true if the parameters 33girl stated above are mostly true. If the chapter is huge or kind of a hot mess then probably not.

Also, I grew up in a school system that used a lot of student teachers. And by mid-semester they were TEACHING. If you will be at a school like that, I would really think about your work-load. I would imagine grade level would also impact that. A first grade teacher is not doing the same thing outside school hours that the 12th grade English teacher is.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes you don't have a lot of say over where you will be placed. At OK State, everyone wanted to be in Stillwater so they wouldn't have to move, but the Stillwater schools could only accept a certain number of student teachers. Some people had to end up in OKC, Tulsa, Enid, etc. Commuting could be a serious issue along with time, energy, etc. There is also a lot of value for the president being actually present at random times, not just chapter meetings.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you really think you can give both positions the dedication they deserve? I would really talk to the current President and get an idea of how much time she spends not only in the assigned duties of the President, but in the many other tasks that may come up.

I think it could work, but you definitely need to do a lot of research and planning.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Since Gamma Phi slates candidates, your chapter sisters will probably take your other responsibilities into consideration when they're deliberating. They may feel that another sister will have more time to give. Or they may take the stance, "if you want something done well, ask a busy person to do it."

As one of my professor responsibilities, I supervise student teachers. Feel free to PM me.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
….student teaching from what my friends who are teachers told me, is a lot like having a real job as a teacher.
I've heard this, too, from many many student teachers. But people with full-time jobs sometimes also take on very demanding hobbies or even a second job. I think that's what student teaching while serving as chapter president would be like. But the overlap is only for one semester, right? If you think you can handle long hours and the intensity of both responsibilities, go for it. Your sisters (whether nominating committee or the general membership) will factor all that in when they make their decision.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Also - will you be doing block the semester before you student teach? That's time consuming as well.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you should go for it!

But like APhiLife said, you should definitely have a discussion with the current president and do your research so you can go in as prepared as possible.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think trying to do both is a terrible idea. Student teaching will have you busier than you've ever thought of being in your life. It's a full time job that goes way beyond the school day. If you are planning on teaching, then it's time to focus on that and let someone else take the reins as president.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I did both (and also worked a part-time job). I think it can be done depending on the person. A lot of it depends on your chapter, your delegating skills, your student teaching assignment, your mentor teacher, etc.

Both were great experiences. I loved my time as chapter president. One of the best things I ever did.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

My student teaching was very demanding. I started actually teaching on my third day! Then after my third day I taught all sections every day for the rest of the school year. I taught Senior English so had a lot of both prep time and grading to do.

I had been an officer in a state level organization with many demands and stepped down before I student taught. Is it possible that the president-elect for the coming year in your sorority could get started early? If your student teaching is for the second half of the last semester might that be feasible?

Chi Omega