GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,418
1 members and 2,417 guests
John

Old 10-07-2008, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Panhellenic Spirit?

Does your campus have a lot of Panhel spirit? By this, I mean that girls don't speak ill of other sororities, you like to do things with other sororities and you tend to not have that competition [except in recruitment, of course!].

Boys, feel free to go off on IFC spirit if you like.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
Does your campus have a lot of Panhel spirit? By this, I mean that girls don't speak ill of other sororities, you like to do things with other sororities and you tend to not have that competition [except in recruitment, of course!].

I wonder if there are really any campuses like this?! Competition makes people get really ugly. We were civil to each other at my campus, and I had friends in other sororities, but there was very little panhellenic unity. We had an extremely strong adviser that kept us all in check, however.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that on my campus it's always been more of a struggle to get Panhellenic and IFC working on the same page with larger events. But other than that, the three sororities working together was never a problem. Could it have happened more? Yes. Was there still some talking about the other sororities behind closed doors? I'm sure it happens with all of the orgs.

But we still support each other. My chapter holds a pageant every year for our philanthropy, and members of the other sororities usually participate and/or attend. And the ASAs have a date auction every year and we make sure we go to that. And I know that two years ago we had 2 of our members participate. We would try to help with fundraisers when we could. We would all mesh well at all-Greek events. And we don't completely ignore each other around campus. I always made sure to say hi to other girls, even if I didn't know them, if they were wearing letters and so was I (didn't want to say hi if I wasn't, because they'd probably wonder "who the hell is that girl?" haha).

I always wished that the sororities worked together more, though, when it came to recruitment. Again, it is a "competition", so to speak (probably more so on my campus because of the very small interest in Greek life in general), but I think that the orgs could have worked together more to promote Greek life as a whole, and not just each individual sorority.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-07-2008, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter just joined our campus' Panhellenic, and we couldn't be more pleased with the reception!

Yes, there is gossip between chapter and yeah, there are stereotypes. But, I feel (at the moment, at least) that we really do have a lot of panhellenic spirit. Everyone goes to everyone's philanthropies, we have an all-campus sisterhood event, etc.

There is competition, but for the most part, it isn't a problem!

On kind of a tangent: I've noticed that the most friendly and pro-panhellenic groups on our campus are the top-tier sororities. Do you notice this at your campuses too? Do you think this is just because they don't feel they need to worry? Or do you think that's part of the reason they are top tier?

Just wondering!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:14 PM

We supported each other's events of course, but we weren't 100% Panhellenic all the time, and yes, there was some cattiness here and there. However, alot of girls on campus have good friends in other sororities.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-07-2008 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

We stick together on IFC just to fight off the larger powers.

Depending on what kind of guy you are on campus depends on if you hang out with other fraternities or only your own. If you work with IFC and/or ASG, you're bound to have alot of high level friends that you go out to the bar with.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 PM

We used to. We don't anymore. Maybe among individual members, but not as a whole. That's my take, anyway.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We didn't used to have much panhellenic spirit on my campus. Recently as an advisor I've seen panhellenic camradery improve... but a lot of that I think has to do with the leadership. One of the key members of panhellenic has family ties to some of the other groups on campus and for that reason I think sincerely cares about every group's success. I think it takes someone who sincerely believes in the cause (not just as a PR ploy).
Old 10-07-2008, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post

I feel like my university has really good Pan spirit. The greek life staff really hypes it up. We are encouraged to talk to PNMs about our friends in other sororities, we even had a Pan slide where we had alot of Pan unity goin on in all of our sisterhood videos this year during recruitment.On a scale of 1 to 10 i would say that we have around an 8 for Pan unity/spirit.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, Panhellenic is a pretty new idea on my campus since my chapter isn't that old. I'm not really sure how we're doing. It was pretty good since recruitment just ended. Hmm...I dunno!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

This is just my personal observation - YMMV. At UF, plenty of sisters have friends in other chapters, but as a Panhellenic whole...I'd say the amount of "No matter the letter, we're all Greek together!" spirit is sitting securely between 'no way' and 'no how'. It's a shame, really - the Greek community could be so much stronger, and do so much more good, if they tried to get along!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

It was more common to cultivate a Panhellenic atmosphere when I was in school than what I see today. We really worked at it, though, at least the nine sororities who were in the one hall. The other two were close in their own ways.

As someone who was on Panhel longer than not, the more everyone works at realizing that, once you're out of school, it's not ABC v. XYZ, it's Greek v. Uninformed People, the easier it is for everyone. Competition should stay in its own particular times, like Greek Week, Homecoming, Recruitment - not 365 days of the year.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post

As someone who was on Panhel longer than not, the more everyone works at realizing that, once you're out of school, it's not ABC v. XYZ, it's Greek v. Uninformed People, the easier it is for everyone. Competition should stay in its own particular times, like Greek Week, Homecoming, Recruitment - not 365 days of the year.
This is SO true. I try to encourage girls to get active in Panhellenic Council, because it's one of the best ways to get to know girls in other chapters. Some of my best friends from undergrad are women in other sororities that I met through PHC activities.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you feel that Panhellenic spirit is important when it does not relate to recruitment? How?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 AM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, the sororities are a lot better at being 'panhellenic' than the fraternities at being 'interfraternal.'

There's a certain level of professionalism among most of the fraternities, but rarely, if ever, do you see a group of guys from different chapters hanging out.

It's much different for the sororities. Usually, girls have good friends from other chapters because those girls hang out with the same fraternity.