GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,463
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, RogelioLan
» Online Users: 2,481
1 members and 2,480 guests
Kevin

Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This. I'm not trying to be Debby Downer, but I hope if it becomes clear that it isn't working, we (ASA national entity we) have learned from our past mistakes re trying to recolonize chapters that have an emotional meaning to us and have the good sense to pull out. Obviously AF and I are both hoping we are completely clueless and will be proven wrong.

As far as Bucknell, that article pretty much sums up the North vs. South attitude regarding sorority size.
Yes, I will be the first to rejoice if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Sigma Kappa JUST closed last year for low numbers. True, they had the "stigma", but when people find out (and they will) that we're returning after having left due to getting "the stigma", I think we're doomed. Don't get me wrong, we were THE first sorority at WIU and THE TOP chapter for most of Beta Kappa's history...but when you graduate 35 seniors on a campus where Total is 80 and the rest of those left have no idea how to recruit because they've never really had to try very hard, it spells disaster.

Also, two of the five groups voted against expansion and ASA was the only sorority to even submit a package for expansion. Not looking good.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2012, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I hope they are able to have a successful colonization despite the odds.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Yes, I will be the first to rejoice if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Sigma Kappa JUST closed last year for low numbers. True, they had the "stigma", but when people find out (and they will) that we're returning after having left due to getting "the stigma", I think we're doomed. Don't get me wrong, we were THE first sorority at WIU and THE TOP chapter for most of Beta Kappa's history...but when you graduate 35 seniors on a campus where Total is 80 and the rest of those left have no idea how to recruit because they've never really had to try very hard, it spells disaster.

Also, two of the five groups voted against expansion and ASA was the only sorority to even submit a package for expansion. Not looking good.
How long ago did ASA close?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM

Old 06-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Alpha Phi has accepted an invitation to recolonize their Louisiana State University chapter in the Fall of '13.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-29-2012, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

Let's hope they don't let this happen again. That's a bit too lopsided for comfort.

And,
Congrats to Alpha Phi on LSU. Good Luck with bringing the Alphas back to Tigerland!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Alpha Phi has accepted an invitation to recolonize their Louisiana State University chapter in the Fall of '13.
Wow.
Congratulations and best wishes.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Totally jealous. CONGRATS!!
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Congratulations and Best Wishes to the Alpha Phi LSU Colonization Team.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 PM

Alpha Phi is presenting at Harvard.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Yaaayy!! Congrats to Alpha Phi!! I have friends in their Bama chapter and am so glad to see SEC growth for them!
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats!

Happy to see an Alpha group (not THE Alpha Chapter!)

Happy its a Syracuse Triad member!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

News from Bucknell

A sad announcement.....

From the office of Pi Beta Phi

Published on 2012-06-28

Pi Beta Phi recently announced that it will suspend operations at its Pennsylvania Beta Chapter at Bucknell University efffective immediately.

The chapter will retain its charter, but will no longer have a campus presence. All Pennsylvania Beta collegians have been granted alumnae status and the Fraternity encourages its member to continue lifelong sisterhood and sincere friendships outside the chapter setting.

Pi Beta Phi will not offer membership to undergraduates until fall of 2015 at the earliest. If you have questions regarding the suspension of Pennsylvania Beta, please contact the Member Service and Programming Department of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity Headquarters at 636 256 0680.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
A sad announcement.....

From the office of Pi Beta Phi

Published on 2012-06-28

Pi Beta Phi recently announced that it will suspend operations at its Pennsylvania Beta Chapter at Bucknell University efffective immediately.

The chapter will retain its charter, but will no longer have a campus presence. All Pennsylvania Beta collegians have been granted alumnae status and the Fraternity encourages its member to continue lifelong sisterhood and sincere friendships outside the chapter setting.

Pi Beta Phi will not offer membership to undergraduates until fall of 2015 at the earliest. If you have questions regarding the suspension of Pennsylvania Beta, please contact the Member Service and Programming Department of Pi Beta Phi Fraternity Headquarters at 636 256 0680.
In other words, if I read this right, they'll keep paying Panhellenic dues to keep the chapter "open" without actually taking new members so they don't lose their place and so the school probably won't expand. While on one hand I kind of admire them for doing this and thinking of their alums, on the other I think they should shit or get off the pot.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
In other words, if I read this right, they'll keep paying Panhellenic dues to keep the chapter "open" without actually taking new members so they don't lose their place and so the school probably won't expand. While on one hand I kind of admire them for doing this and thinking of their alums, on the other I think they should shit or get off the pot.
Wait, didn't we just hear about the expansion of Bucknell upthread?