GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,000
0 members and 1,000 guests
No Members online

Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Starting a Sorority for licensed Cosmetologist

Hi I'm Donna B. Licensed Senior Cosmetologist. I have been in the industry for 15 plus years. In that time I've volunteered for a numerous amount of charity events as well as created a few on my own there are a number of stylist I know how would love to be apart of a bigger cause to help people. Now considering I'm not a college grad I have went to the highest level a person could be becoming a licensed Senior Cosmetologist. So what could I do to begin the journey. I have someone else who's interested as well and mentor at least 3 other licensed stylist.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Donna. My advice would be to JUST DO IT. If you think you can make a go of a cosmetology sorority and you think there is an interest you should do it. Most of the Greekchat members are members of social organizations that have been in existence for 100+ years, so telling you how to form a brand new vocational sorority would be difficult, especially if you plan to become nationwide at some point. You might look in the local forum when you can to see how those orgs were formed. I would also advise that you do some research on both NPC, NPHC, IFC, and multicultural groups and avoid using existing names and color combinations. In other words, don't copy an existing group.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator

At some point, especially if you start to create bank accounts and pay dues, you'll want to consult with an attorney about forming a not-for-profit corporation. Other than that, I echo what FSUZeta said. Most of the folks who post on this board are members of Greek Letter Organizations which are national and 100+ years old. None of us have any idea what life as a cosmetologist is like. You might really want to think about whether Greek letters are something you want for branding though, considering you run a good chance of using something which is already being used and not to sound elitist, but do most folks in your profession know the letters of the Greek Alphabet? Couldn't that create an issue with marketing? Good luck though. Seriously.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-07-2017, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

To help you with your research, I did see something similar before. This group may be defunct; but, there is/was a fraternity and sorority based on the cosmetology field in 2012:

https://sites.google.com/site/imxuofacposf/home

and

https://www.facebook.com/Iota-Mu-Xi-...4539012577488/

True and Constant
Old 06-09-2017, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

This comment was snide and did, in fact, sound elitist. Being a licensed cosmetologist and being educated are not mutually exclusive. In the same manner that being in a GLO and being respectful of all people is not guaranteed.

To the original poster (O.P.), follow the advice of the helpful feedback you received above. The world can always use a group of individuals who have decided to combine their mutual strengths for the greater good. If you believe Greek letters are the best fit for you, then by all means use them. The are certainly not the exclusive property of currently existing organizations. We were all new at some point, and all probably received odd looks and backhanded "compliments" which were really designed to tear us down.

My only advice would be to make sure that you are organizing under the "Greek" umbrella due to a genuine desire for sisterhood/brotherhood/fraternity, and not to emulate or copy organizations which already exist. Do lots of research, and work with your friends to create something which has a deep and abiding meaning to YOU.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
At some point, especially if you start to create bank accounts and pay dues, you'll want to consult with an attorney about forming a not-for-profit corporation. Other than that, I echo what FSUZeta said. Most of the folks who post on this board are members of Greek Letter Organizations which are national and 100+ years old. None of us have any idea what life as a cosmetologist is like. You might really want to think about whether Greek letters are something you want for branding though, considering you run a good chance of using something which is already being used and not to sound elitist, but do most folks in your profession know the letters of the Greek Alphabet? Couldn't that create an issue with marketing? Good luck though. Seriously.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Alphachipiomega.org looks to be the site for the sorority and fraternity's HQ. It's current and up to date. I think Sen has posted about this org before. I loved reading the history of Alpha Chi Pi Omega! Their founders were amazing women!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Alphachipiomega.org looks to be the site for the sorority and fraternity's HQ. It's current and up to date. I think Sen has posted about this org before. I loved reading the history of Alpha Chi Pi Omega! Their founders were amazing women!
I ended up reading about them because they were originally founded as Alpha Phi Omega and ended up changing their name in order to avoid name conflict with the Service Fraternity that I belong to. (I'm keeping track of all of the groups that have ever been called Alpha Phi Omega)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yup!

I strongly, strongly, strooooongly advise investigating this organization. Joining an org with decades of history will be challenging, but not nearly as hard as starting from scratch. Please look into them.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JonInKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLadyAKA View Post
This comment was snide and did, in fact, sound elitist. Being a licensed cosmetologist and being educated are not mutually exclusive. In the same manner that being in a GLO and being respectful of all people is not guaranteed.
I'm not sure why you think that was elitist. I guarantee you I could go up to 100 random people and show them a greek alphabet and the only ones that would recognize them would probably be greek alumni or people who studied or know Greek. People with advanced math skills would be able to pick out some of the letters.

p a w e a since 1899

Last edited by JonInKC; 06-10-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLadyAKA View Post
This isn't about elitism or being snide, this is about knowing your market. To the best of my knowledge, the Greek alphabet isn't covered in hair school and not a lot of people with a lot of formal education go to hair school. Even a lot of educated people couldn't identify the letters of the Greek alphabet unless they were in the Greek system, studied higher math or studied Greek.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Thanks! I could have sworn this was a national group, but could only find a local chapter's web page and not the national one.

OP, my links are for a local [Chicago] chapter affiliate of Alphachipiomega.org

True and Constant
Old 06-12-2017, 10:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Thanks! I could have sworn this was a national group, but could only find a local chapter's web page and not the national one.

OP, my links are for a local [Chicago] chapter affiliate of Alphachipiomega.org
I know it has definitely been national, not sure of how many chapters it has active in 2017. Last conclave was in Chicago, national HQ is in Dallas.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I’m interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruce View Post
Hi I'm Donna B. Licensed Senior Cosmetologist. I have been in the industry for 15 plus years. In that time I've volunteered for a numerous amount of charity events as well as created a few on my own there are a number of stylist I know how would love to be apart of a bigger cause to help people. Now considering I'm not a college grad I have went to the highest level a person could be becoming a licensed Senior Cosmetologist. So what could I do to begin the journey. I have someone else who's interested as well and mentor at least 3 other licensed stylist.
Hi, I’m definitely interested in the cosmetology sorority ordeal. I just mentioned this to one of my friends the other day. Also mentioned this at the Christian Women’s Alliance Group high tea party (DMV chapter). I was Honored with the 2019 “Excellence in Health and Beauty” Award back in July.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

This thread is 2 years old. Maybe you could contact the group mentioned in one of the posts.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi

Sounds like a cool idea. I was in a sorority, and now, I think of the friends I met in a moms group as my later life sorority, but it would be fun to meet a group like yours.