GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,275
3 members and 1,272 guests
g41965, Xidelt

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Brutal Sorority Hazing at Dartmouth-Kappa Kappa Gamma:

What is going on at Dartmouth?
Last month, Rolling Stone published a controversial exposé all about the greek culture at Dartmouth — long known to be among the nation’s worst in terms of its alcohol problems and hazing practices.
This week, a recent Dartmouth graduate has published her own account of the dangerous hazing she received while pledging Kappa Kappa Gamma:
http://www.nationalreview.com/phi-be...-nathan-harden

Dartmouth alumna Ravital Segal ’09 tells a harrowing story of survival at the hands of the Dartmouth chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma:
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/10484

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ravita...ml?ref=college
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 PM

Her story reads more like a term paper than an actual account. Milgram and Zimbardo? Seriously?

I'm looking askance at both of these accounts, sorry.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

It's not a clearly written story for sure. Was the pledge from the local that was mentioned in the same car?
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Anyone who knows me knows how staunchly anti-hazing I am. If that woman's story is true, then I certainly don't agree with what happened. With that said...

Quote:
...a .4 BAC is coma and death. I was literally one sip of alcohol away from dying.
Okay, drama queen. Certainly a BAL of 400 isn't a great idea, but I routinely see patients in the ER with BALs in the 400s (or 500s) who are still able to carry on a conversation. Granted, they're typically the hardcore alcoholics, but still. A BAL of 400 is not a guaranteed pine box.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigKapSweetie View Post
Anyone who knows me knows how staunchly anti-hazing I am. If that woman's story is true, then I certainly don't agree with what happened. With that said...

Okay, drama queen. Certainly a BAL of 400 isn't a great idea, but I routinely see patients in the ER with BALs in the 400s (or 500s) who are still able to carry on a conversation. Granted, they're typically the hardcore alcoholics, but still. A BAL of 400 is not a guaranteed pine box.
Yep, all of this.

I guess I can't be sympathetic to the "so drunk I blacked out" because I've never been there. My ejection reflex kicks in well before that. I think that's why I've never been much of a drinker - I HATE throwing up and I do that about half a drink after "buzzed".
Old 04-10-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think .4 for a girl who is (I'm assuming) a college freshman (less experience) and probably in general not a huge person (I would even assume petite) is pretty significant. But that is just my humble, probably unshared opinion.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
I think .4 for a girl who is (I'm assuming) a college freshman (less experience) and probably in general not a huge person (I would even assume petite) is pretty significant. But that is just my humble, probably unshared opinion.
Her size has nothing to do with her BAC being .4, except how many drinks it takes her to reach that point. .4 is .4 whether she's 100 lbs or 250 lbs., it doesn't change the story. And you obviously missed the fact that she was a sophomore.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I'm looking askance at both of these accounts, sorry.
Ditto. I especially loved the recommendation (from both) of abolishing the greek system as the only way to end hazing.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Her size has nothing to do with her BAC being .4, except how many drinks it takes her to reach that point. .4 is .4 whether she's 100 lbs or 250 lbs., it doesn't change the story. And you obviously missed the fact that she was a sophomore.
Yes. As you of course noticed I put "assumed" in regards of her class standing. Thank you for pointing it out again for anyone who may have missed it. And you're right actually, .4 is pretty darn significant regardless. Thanks for pointing out that the factors I mentioned aren't as crucial and that her high BAC was unstable and dangerous regardless.

Do you personally, think the situation could have been avoided if there had not been sorority involvement?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The red flag to me is this line:

"I was content with my decision until, one night during the rush process, I was blindfolded with two of my fellow pledges."

So did this happen while she was rushing or as a new member? Her terminology is inaccurate.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wondering whether there's any legitimate sorority connection at all. The red flag for me was when the alleged KKG alum wrote, "one night during the rush process, I was blindfolded with two of my fellow pledges." (emphasis mine)

Maybe it's just me, but I knew when I was rushing, I knew when rush was over, and I knew when I was considered a pledge. In my experience, the only people who ever confuse these stages are those who were not involved in the process.

ETA: Jinx, MaggieXi!
Old 04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

http://thedartmouth.com/2006/10/11/news/police
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
The red flag to me is this line:

"I was content with my decision until, one night during the rush process, I was blindfolded with two of my fellow pledges."

So did this happen while she was rushing or as a new member? Her terminology is inaccurate.
She could have misspoken. And even though I never used the terms "rush" and "pledge" with my sisters and with people who knew the Greek system, I'd frequently use them when talking to non-Greeks. They're more universally known than "recruitment" and "new member".

Also, a BAC that high CAN kill you.

But don't mind me.. Just playing devil's advocate here..

@~/~~~~
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM

Getting drunk at the roller rink =/= being kidnapped. Not only that, if she had a published account of previous alcohol abuse in the sorority to back up her story, why on earth would she have not mentioned it?

On that note....ALL SKATE, ALL SKATE.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I'm wondering whether there's any legitimate sorority connection at all. The red flag for me was when the alleged KKG alum wrote, "one night during the rush process, I was blindfolded with two of my fellow pledges." (emphasis mine)

Maybe it's just me, but I knew when I was rushing, I knew when rush was over, and I knew when I was considered a pledge. In my experience, the only people who ever confuse these stages are those who were not involved in the process.

ETA: Jinx, MaggieXi!
She was in a sorority at Dartmouth.