GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,129
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zavictoiajnr131
» Online Users: 1,195
1 members and 1,194 guests
No Members online

Old 03-04-2004, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

University of Pittsburgh is advisor-less again

Since there is a large Pittsburgh presence on Greek chat. I figured I would update you if you hadn’t already heard

For the second time in my 4 years at Pitt we have lost a Greek advisor. Anita has stepped down as our Greek advisor as of yesterday. She lasted less than a school year. She replaced Sharon who also quit mid year but had been at the university for some time.

The word on the street is that she was not getting support from the administration (surprise surprise) and was having a difficult time with students as well. Although having had experience in student life I can say that the advisors are treated very poorly by their imitate boss, and very few of them are happy.

This is the second year in a row that part of the year will be spent without a Greek advisor. Last year we spent the better part of the year including informal rush without any advisor. The interim Greek advisor has no experience with Greeks and is very anti Greek for those of you who know Bernie its going to be a fun year.

I can't wait to see what happens.
Old 03-04-2004, 07:43 AM
GreekChat Member

oh joy

you know, maybe if they paid more that $22,500 (my rough guesstimate) they could get someone to stay. I know that the pay is peanuts for a lot of lower level Pitt employees....
Old 03-04-2004, 10:51 AM

They weren't leaving stuffed nittany lions hanging from the rafters, were they?

I can't believe that is their salary (roughly). I know our cost of living is lower than most major cities, but that's crazy.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Is it possible to have Pitt pay for master's degree tuition if one worked there? I know that they pay for undergrad, but I'm sure about the master's bit.

If so, what they should be looking for is someone from a similiar size greek community who would take the Advisor job as they let Pitt pay for their tuition.

It would work for a couple years, anyhow...
Old 03-04-2004, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

don't quote me on that salary, it was just a guesstimate. I do know that as of a few years ago a lot of the lower level positiosn started in the low 20's.

Here's the article from today's Pitt news:

Pitt News Article
Old 03-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
don't quote me on that salary, it was just a guesstimate. I do know that as of a few years ago a lot of the lower level positiosn started in the low 20's.

Here's the article from today's Pitt news:

Pitt News Article
Yes pay them the wage of a surgeon who lives in New York City!

-Rudey
Old 03-04-2004, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea how or why I put this in the riskmanagement hazeing section. I blame midterms and cathedral awards beign due on the same day!

NEWS
Greek adviser resigns from position
By J. ELIZABETH STROHM & ANASTASIA STERANKO
Staff Report
March 04, 2004

After only six months in her position, Fraternity and Sorority Life Coordinator Anita Triggs has resigned.

"I wasn't expecting a resignation because there haven't been any forewarnings that this was going to occur," said Lindsay Woods, the president of Pitt's Panhellenic Association.

"It's really odd," said Steve Mihlfried, the Interfraternity Council president, commenting on the unexpected nature of Triggs' resignation.

"I was surprised that this happened this quickly, and it makes me think that there was something more to it," he added.

Although Tuesday was Triggs' last day in the office, Associate Dean of Student Affairs, Birney Harrigan would not say when Triggs gave notice of her resignation.

"She was not asked to resign," Harrigan explained. "[Triggs' reasons for resigning] are personal matters that I can't discuss," she said, declining to comment.

While the Office of Student Affairs will not appoint an interim Greek adviser, Harrigan will take "direct responsibility for leadership of Greek affairs."

"I haven't been as immediately involved with the student organizations as the fraternity and sorority coordinator has been, obviously," Harrigan said. "But I expect to get to know them as I work closely with them in the months ahead."

Ron Coursey, president of Pitt's National Pan-Hellenic Council, said that he does not see the absence of a Greek adviser as a major setback to Greek life.

"I think that, for the most part, the three councils are pretty much self-governing," he said, describing the strength of Pitt's three Greek councils.

Without an adviser, however, the leaders of the Greek councils will have "no direct voice to the University," he added. While an adviser can act as a facilitator between students and university officials, he said students frequently must go through a number of people to be heard.

Harrigan also declined to comment on Triggs' ability to communicate with student leaders and members of the Greek community, explaining the students would be in a better position to respond.

"For her to dive in with only one year of experience, I think that was a little much," Mihlfried said. "I think that communication between Anita and IFC was established, but it could have been better."

The leaders of the other Greek councils echoed Mihlfried's response.

"We had some struggles with her as an administrator," Woods added.

Coursey spoke well of Triggs' treatment of the Greek community, but agreed that she might have been able to better improve communications between the councils and the administration.

"I think she was fair, as far as facilitating between us and the University," Coursey said. "I do feel like there were times when the communication could have been better."

He added that, on the whole, he felt Triggs had done a good job.

Harrigan added that she had received "no direct complaints from students" regarding Triggs.

"The fact that Anita was selected for the position speaks to the expectation that she would be an asset in respect to what we were trying to do with the Greek community," Harrigan said.

Harrigan said that Pitt would initiate a national search for a new adviser immediately, and that she was working on forming a list of desired qualities for the candidates.

"What sets Pitt apart from other institutions . . . is that we have to be cognizant that we're an urban institution," Harrigan said.

Before being hired by Pitt, Triggs served as assistant director of fraternity and sorority life at Penn State. When Triggs began working at Pitt on July 1, 2003, the University had been without a Greek adviser for 10 months, after former Greek adviser Sharon Malazich resigned in October 2002 to take a position outside the University.

"Changes are ongoing," Harrigan said, addressing the turnover rate of Greek advisers and other administrators in Student Affairs.

"The students took part in the development of criteria for selecting candidates for the position," Harrigan said, addressing her statement after former Malazich resigned, that the selection process would involve "significant student input" and would "have them involved completely," according to an October 2002 report in The Pitt News.

"They also screened the applications and provided input," Harrigan added. "I'm going to have them interview the candidates [this time]."

Greek leaders also professed interest in being involved in the application process.

"Hopefully, they will take our recommendations seriously," Mihlfried said.

"Timing is very, very important for recruiting," Harrigan explained. "This is the recruiting period for candidates."

Recruiting a replacement for Malazich was more difficult, Harrigan said, because Malazich resigned in October -- an undesirable time of year for finding adviser candidates, according to Harrigan.

"Even the candidates that we had invited, they had offers from other positions before we got to them," Harrigan said.

As a result, the candidates whose applications were reviewed by Greek leaders were not viable candidates when Student Affairs was ready to hire someone, Harrigan explained.

"Anita emerged later in the process," Harrigan said. "She was not in the pool of candidates that the students [reviewed]."

"The challenge here at Pitt is managing change, because there are higher expectations for everyone," Harrigan said.

When Malazich resigned, Pitt launched a careful look at the Greek system. The University's findings were compiled in the Greek report, a comprehensive set of recommendations compiled by Deborah Furka, who was at the time director of public safety. Furka has since moved to the position of director of residence life. Though administrators did not originally intend to make the report public, they presented a summary of the Greek report in February 2003 and announced plans to implement suggested changes.

"The fraternity and sorority life coordinator has been leading the implementation effort," Harrigan said, adding that she will assume responsibilities for making changes, in accordance with the report recommendations, until the appointment of a permanent adviser.

The greatest change to have come about because of the Greek report concerns the way in which Pitt deals with complaints filed by Greeks, Harrigan said. While the Greek community still deals with minor problems, major issues now go to the judicial board, instead of to Harrigan, as they used to.

"One of the reasons that we did [the Greek report] was to see how we can make the Greek system exemplary," Harrigan said. "It was good, but we want it to be exemplary."

"And that required change," Harrigan added, "both in the Greek advising staff -- and that was Anita, as fraternity and sorority life coordinator -- and in the Greek system."

"Right now we are working on standards of excellence," Harrigan said of upcoming changes. "The students are very committed," she added. "They want to excel -- it's just a matter of my helping them to do that well."

The continuing changes in the Office of Student Affairs do not translate into intentional, regular changes of personnel, Harrigan said.

"It's not a matter of getting a fresh perspective," she said. "It's what we call in student affairs 'meeting challenges with excellence.'"

Asked to elaborate, Harrigan said the phrase means "being able to embrace challenges with opportunities."

"I'm not saying that these challenges led Anita to resign," Harrigan added. "I'm saying that managing change is part of the position. It's consistent with the modus operandi of student affairs, as it exists."

"The challenges are what we are asking the Greeks to do," she explained.

Pitt plans to run ads for a new Greek adviser as soon as possible.

"The transition has begun," Harrigan said.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

That article was ridiculously full of administrative babblespeak.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Whatever that article said, I haven't a clue. I do know Lindsay though, as she is a D Phi E, and she's a fabulous representative of that Greek community. She just won the NGLA Panhellenic scholarship, and has worked incredibly hard on the D Phi E chapter there.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
That article was ridiculously full of administrative babblespeak.

Thank you for pointing that out! I was trying to muddle through it and thought for a minute that I had lost my comprehension ability!
Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Hell, I'm an Administrator too, and I couldn't understand half of it!!! I think she's just pulling words out of her @$$ and using them to create meaningless answers.

Seriously, if that position only pays $22,500 then that is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the average pay for Greek Advisors. National average is about $29-30,000.
Old 03-05-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SigEp42
"It's not a matter of getting a fresh perspective," she said. "It's what we call in student affairs 'meeting challenges with excellence.'"

Asked to elaborate, Harrigan said the phrase means "being able to embrace challenges with opportunities."

"I'm not saying that these challenges led Anita to resign," Harrigan added. "I'm saying that managing change is part of the position. It's consistent with the modus operandi of student affairs, as it exists."
And phraseology such as this, gentle readers, is why 33girl is not 33studentaffairsadministrator.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
Hell, I'm an Administrator too, and I couldn't understand half of it!!! I think she's just pulling words out of her @$$ and using them to create meaningless answers.

Seriously, if that position only pays $22,500 then that is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the average pay for Greek Advisors. National average is about $29-30,000.
She actually doesn't have the best, shall we say, comprehension of the English language. She can't really understand students and students can't really understand her all the time. Its a language barrier we have to deal with, in other words: Pitt's ideal administrator .

On a side note today my boss compared the Cathedral to the tower in Mordor, with the ever watchful eye. Gotta love Pitt big brother is always watching.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

How did I manage to miss this thread?

Sharon had only been there since fall 1999.

I don't know if Dr. Harrigan is anti-greek, I just think that she doesn't know a lot about the greek system. The pitt news was all over the story as soon as it happened, it probably caught her off guard.

second I believe, that the pay scale is actually a bit higher than that.

finally, I wasn't going to publicly announce it but, no big deal. I haven't gotten word yet (and it's a long shot) but I applied to pitt's grad school for my MEd in Higher Education this January and I'm considering applying for the position. Sure, I'd have to relinquish my chapter advisor position and I know that I'm not going to get it, or even considered for it but I'm looking to get out of my current job and I figure it doesn't hurt to try.

Hope they get someone who knows what they are doing!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Again I ask: would tuition for a degree above that of a Bachelor's be covered, if one worked for the University?

I honestly think it's the way to go. GA with greek experience gets both tuition and business administration experience, and if it's to continue in that vein, trains up the next GA.