GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,569
0 members and 1,569 guests
No Members online

Old 04-12-2007, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
You just became my favorite neo on GreekChat.
Aww shucks....Thanks.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nwu43
"My sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho, has a step where we tie our legs together with another member and step but I have not seen all chapters do this."

You know what's odd? I could've sworn that the group I saw doing that stunt had the letters Sigma and Rho in it. I thought it was Sigma Gamma Rho, but they were guys! In my previous post I was going to say that it was Sigma Gamma Rho that made up that stunt, but then I saw your signature and remembered that Sigma Gamma Rho was a sorority, so I thought I probably made a mistake and just forgot what the letters to that group was. But then you said your sorority did this stunt as well! Now I'm so confused. I'm assuming either it's a coincidence and that group that I saw was still a different organization or they were in some way affiliated with your sorority?

"It's also probably not a good idea to watch too many D9 stepshows while you're doing this so that your creativity can be fresh and new."

You're right. In past actually, when I watched the most was the period when I had realized that some of our old moves we took from Cali chapters were *not* ours, and so I was trying to find out how many and which ones. I gave up eventually because it was too time consuming to watch too many and just assumed every step that wasn't ours was potentially copied (which is why we don't even use material from our neighboring chapters anymore). Of course I still like to go to step-shows when they are around on campus because it is fun to watch .
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

hey nwu43,
I'm glad to hear you're trying to do things the right way. Good luck with it!

Also, shoot me a PM and maybe we can chat on AIM about this.

Pz
Nate
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
"My sorority, Sigma Gamma Rho, has a step where we tie our legs together with another member and step but I have not seen all chapters do this."

You know what's odd? I could've sworn that the group I saw doing that stunt had the letters Sigma and Rho in it. I thought it was Sigma Gamma Rho, but they were guys! In my previous post I was going to say that it was Sigma Gamma Rho that made up that stunt, but then I saw your signature and remembered that Sigma Gamma Rho was a sorority, so I thought I probably made a mistake and just forgot what the letters to that group was. But then you said your sorority did this stunt as well! Now I'm so confused. I'm assuming either it's a coincidence and that group that I saw was still a different organization or they were in some way affiliated with your sorority?

"It's also probably not a good idea to watch too many D9 stepshows while you're doing this so that your creativity can be fresh and new."

You're right. In past actually, when I watched the most was the period when I had realized that some of our old moves we took from Cali chapters were *not* ours, and so I was trying to find out how many and which ones. I gave up eventually because it was too time consuming to watch too many and just assumed every step that wasn't ours was potentially copied (which is why we don't even use material from our neighboring chapters anymore). Of course I still like to go to step-shows when they are around on campus because it is fun to watch .
You should know that moves/steps that you see the D9 performing are not copied from groups outside of the D9 so you can bet that if you see a group outside of the D9 performing the same step that a D9 group also performed, that group either copied or is/was affiliated with the D9 group in some way.

I'm almost certain that who you saw performing this step was the Sigma Rhomeos "Fraternal Order of Classy Gentlemen (FOCG)." You will see them wearing the greek letter for Sigma and an "R" for Rhomeo. The Sigma Rhomeos developed from an auxillary group (Sigma Gamma Rhomeos) we had many years ago. It was a group of men (mostly boyfriends and husbands) who supported and assisted Sigma Gamma Rho in our daily operations and community service. In 1990 the D9 decided to ban all auxillary groups like this so our affiliation with this group ended. Since then the group has gone on to become their own non-greek fraternity and they continue to bring in new members although their chapters are mostly in Texas with some in Florida and other places. Since they were once affiliated with us, their colors are the same as ours, they probably do some of the same steps, and they also step with canes (they got this from us and we got it from the Kappas). Because of the cane stepping there has been some animosity between the Kappas and Sigma Rhomeo on campuses where both exist. I have met some Sigma Rhomeos and they usually refer to us as their sisters although we have no affiliation with them anymore and we have no official brother organization. For the most part, many of our members still consider them family and we have no problem with them. Here is a link to one website of theirs: http://www.ou.edu/student/romeos/.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 04-13-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I just wanted to say this is one of the most educational threads on GC!
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwu43 View Post
Oy, looks like this thread is starting branch out into two topics already haha

I'm gonna have split this post.

First, good job Nate in your efforts to bring us together! I'm a bit disappointed/puzzled as to why our nationals rejected or declined to be a part of NAPA. Unfortunately when it comes to the politics of our organization, I really have no idea what's going on. I guess part of the problem are Asians like me who cannot stand all this business and just choose to stay out of it . I agree with your views but I really do not know what I can do. Mostly, I'm concerned with fulfilling my role as step-master and trying to keep the brotherhood in my chapter tight. My reasons for wanting to educate other chapters about step are as much because I don't want them to ruin our reputation (and that I hate it when people steal or copy in general) as because I don't like the idea of them stepping without knowing anything about it. Fortunately, most bros in my chapter are more ambitious than me . I'll ask the president and midwest lieutenant governor about this issue, maybe get them to register for Greekchat (I'm starting to like this place more and more), though I really don't know how much we can do, as lambdas in the Midwest have very little power in influencing national decisions.

Also, I crossed the same time as you. We're syands
(hooters #43, spr2k4, Northwestern Univ)

------------

Anyways, back to step again, I was wondering if you guys could help me out with specifics i.e., what are signature or unique styles that different Orgs are known for and what kind of things we should avoid (partly because I want to make something new right now, and partly because it's also very interesting )
----
What I know so far (and correct me if I'm wrong!):

APhiA - A-train. Anything with hats?

KAPsi - Canes

Phi Beta Sigma - I'm not sure. I saw two step shows where one guy does a frontal handspring and ends up on top of another guy who is standing? Is that a unique move?

Iota Phi Theta - Some told me something about centaur walk? Though I'm not sure what it is.

Omega Psi Phi- the omega hop

Also, I think I saw a step where steppers would split into pairs, and within each pair each individual's leg was tied to another's leg so they had to step in unison with each other. It was quite amazing! Does anyone know which Greek org does that?
---
I've never seen step from Latino fraternities, so I have no idea what they do

Finally, there are moves or props that I used to think were universal but now I'm not sure. Just to be on the safe side, are the following unique to any Greek organization or are they incorporated into step by everyone?:

-Using chairs as props?

-A move where steppers would hop on one foot, kick with the other, and flail their arms wildly while making the sound "Ah, Ah, Ah"

-The move where steppers would make a "brushing sound" with their teeth while making movements that look like they're brushing off their uniforms? I used to think it was a universal thing (and a lot of our West Coast chapters incorporate that into their step), but so far I've only seen Alphas do it.

Again THANKS
A good movie for you to watch on the topic of creating a new style for stepping is the movie "Stomp the Yard." While I didn't much care for the movie because not everything was completely accurate and because it didn't give a good look into all the traditions of the D9 (including the monumental amount of service we do/have done), it is a good example of how non D9 greeks can create their own style or signature for stepping. The producers of the movie are Alphas so they were careful to stay away from D9 signature steps in creating the 2 fictional BGLO fraternities. Using the basic/foundational moves of stepping, the choreographers were able to create different steps and incorporate them with hip hop dance and the mascots, symbols, etc. of the fictional fraternities. If you haven't seen it yet, it will be out on DVD in May. I remember earlier that you said your org has a step they do with kendo sticks. Maybe using the kendo sticks in most of your steps, can be your signature. Just a thought.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

"I just wanted to say this is one of the most educational threads on GC! "

I know right? And the minority/cultural/ethnic Greek world is so interesting as well (is there a better term for this? Or which one is the correct one? I hear people use all of these terms interchangeably although they don't quite mean the same thing). I remember my freshman year when my roommate and almost all my friends were white, and they got me to rush lodge and beta theta pi. Honestly I found the mainstream Greek world pretty cool as well, but Lambdas were so much more intriguing mainly because they were so different from what I had expected and pictured frats to be like. I also liked the idea that I had to *earn* my letters through a lot of "hard work", which made the letters more meaningful to me (of course I'm sure mainstream frats in many schools have something like this as well, but at Northwestern you basically got your letters once you got the bid).

"A good movie for you to watch on the topic of creating a new style for stepping is the movie "Stomp the Yard."

I don't know why I haven't yet watched it. I think at first it was because I was afraid it was going to be like a You Got Served movie (and with more dancing than stepping). Some of my friends thought it was so-so, and others told me it was good and to still check it out, but I didn't think much of it and forgot. But since you say it has redeeming qualities, I guess I have no choice now but to check it out . Btw, thanks so much rhoyaltempest and everyone else who were so helpful to me. I don't know why I didn't get into Greekchat earlier.

"I dream of the day when I am wearing letters at the age of 80 and I walk down the street and people go "omg!! he's PDPsi!!" just like people do about people who walk down the street wearing Alpha Phi Alpha letters"

That's partly because we have yet to have people as famous as Martin Luther King. I think the most famous lambda that I know of right now is the Standford lambda who won the show Survivor
My aim is hooterslphie, though I'm trying to stay away from aim as much as I can at the moment because midterms are coming up, and I need to stop being so distracted
Old 04-14-2007, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this has already been stated but you all should remember your heritage and always respect it. The groups I have seen win step shows competitions, have always incorporated some honoring of their elders.

You want to make your presentation where you can bring your oldest family member to it.

As much as the young people move around and do all kinds of "junie bug flips" (as my Dad would call it), and the old folks would ask why, they are the first ones trying to buy all the stepshow tickets... Because they like reminiscencing (sp.?) about their youth.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 04-14-2007, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if this has been discussed yet..... cuz frankly y'all are too smart for me in this thread, LOL.....

But don't various Asian cultures have some sort of percussive dance?

I know that I've seen my school's Club Filipinion do a dance with two huge poles that people jump in and out of (almost looks like double dutch).....I believe a noise is also made by snapping the poles together. Anyway, that's something you could incorporate if any of your members already know how to do it.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Thank you!

Ahhh you're thinking of Singkil! I never thought of this idea.

The problem is I think the person doing the dance (jumping in and out of the poles) is usually supposed to be a girl. But I'll go ahead and tell akdphis (our sister sorority) about your idea
Old 04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

You could also you Taiko drums or something to. Incorporate Asian cultures...there is so much untapped stuff there.
National APIA Panhellenic Association (NAPA) Vice-Chair