GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,788
2 members and 1,786 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 04-07-2021, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Hi and help please

Hello!

I found this forum when I was googling questions I had.
I'm currently president of my sorority, and I'm having to withdraw from my Uni. I rushed my freshman year and made it. My sophomore year while I was hospitalized some stuff happened and everyone quit and everyone blocked everyone, I still have no clue what happened. I came back to being in this sorority by myself, I continued to try for a year and a half to get us back together and get new members. My Uni told me I was not allowed to participate in pledge season this year and last year due to the other sororities voting no. At this point, I have some personal issues going on in my life and I'm withdrawing from school. What do I do with all of the sorority stuff? We are not a national chapter as that's a rule at my school. I know I can't throw everything away. But I am moving from Texas to Germany and I can't take it with me. Do y'all know anything I could do?
Old 04-08-2021, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Talk to your school's FSL office, maybe they'll take the stuff? Do you know any alumnae? But honestly, sounds like your organization is no more.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-08-2021, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

You will still have a lifetime to enjoy opportunities with your sorority with alumnae groups. Look into those - most major cities have at least two associations.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

By stating her organization isn't a "national chapter," I'm assuming she's in a Local.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
You will still have a lifetime to enjoy opportunities with your sorority with alumnae groups. Look into those - most major cities have at least two associations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
By stating her organization isn't a "national chapter," I'm assuming she's in a Local.
I'm sorry, Kevin. I missed that part.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Talk to your school's FSL office, maybe they'll take the stuff? Do you know any alumnae? But honestly, sounds like your organization is no more.
I talked with them today. They said to ask the alumni and if they don't take it then I have to keep it. I physically can't keep it, so idk what to do now.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Toss it or give it to any other member who still exists. Apparently, your organization did not survive COVID.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

What kind of “stuff” is it? Can you be more specific?

True and Constant
Old 04-09-2021, 09:07 AM

I’m assuming plaques, banners, stuff of that nature. And no, do not toss it unless you are literally a founding member. Post on your school’s main Facebook page that you are searching for alumnae of (insert your sorority here) and go from there. PM me if you want to brainstorm some more ideas.

Kevin did you not read her posts? This has nothing to do with covid.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

You may also want to talk to your school's Library/Archives. They may be willing to store/preserve.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter temporarily closed in the mid 80s and, in the mid 90s, an alumni found some of the chapter's composites being sold at a garage sale. By shear luck, they were saved.

I suggest going through the material that you have. There should be some documents, composites, etc. providing names of members and founders of your sorority. Jot some of the names down and contact your college's alumni office and get their addresses and phone numbers and just call them and ask them for help in winding up your organization, including taking the memorabilia and storing documents and material.

If your organization was incorporated as a nonprofit corporation or was formally organized as an association, you may have some legal obligations regarding dissolving the organization and retaining records for a period of time. Get legal help and advice about this. Your college may have an attorney on staff to give legal advice to students - take advantage of that. If they don't, go in and see the dean of students and ask for assistance and advice on what you need to do legally to wind up your organization. In other words, since your college has decided to terminate your organization, they should be willing to help you do this in a proper manner. If the dean will not help, try to get some advice from the professors at your business school on what to do, assuming there is a business college. As a first resource, it is almost certain that one of your sorority's alumna is an attorney. Find out who she is and ask her to help and advise, preferably without charge.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

But if you're moving to Europe, I doubt anyone is going to track you down because you didn't dissolve a corporation.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
What kind of “stuff” is it? Can you be more specific?
I have 3 boxes of every single shirt we've ever ordered, 3 boxes of scrapbooks, 2 boxes of random photos, 2 boxes of party supplies, 2 tents, 2 ice chests, etc.

I did go to the alumni office and they said they couldn't give me the address or numbers of alumni due to security reasons, I then asked if they could call or mail something to them and they said I needed the alumni's permission.

I am looking for the Dean's email currently to talk with her. Thank y'all for helping me so much.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:34 PM
GreekChat Member

One other thing. The odds are pretty good that your sorority has some type of state-issued charter within your state. Go to your state's secretary of state website and do a corporate name search. If your organization was issued a state charter, there should be a "registered agent" which was likely unchanged since your organization was formed. Even if the organization's state charter has already been revoked, there still should be the name and address of a registered agent. Usually, the registered agent is some law firm. But in a local sorority's case it will likely be a name of someone in your organization that, at the time of formation, was a very responsible person. Track this person down and ask for their help.

The importance of tracking down one of the founders is that they (and others) may want to continue your organization even if the school no longer recognizes it. You should at least give them the chance to do this. Hopefully, there is no rush.
Old 04-09-2021, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Another option is to use social media to find women who are still in your area and would be willing to take it.

Not just Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/etc. but Nextdoor.com, craigslist, and other community sites.