GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,161
0 members and 1,161 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Marshall: "Within ten years, frat row will probably cease to exist."

Missing: Lambda Chi Alpha

Future of chapter in doubt as members lose house
By Mason Weir
Published: Wednesday, September 21, 2005
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

The Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity lost their house this fall. Now it appears Marshall University has lost Lambda Chi Alpha.
Lambda Chi Alpha, once a prominent organization among the Greek community, has disappeared. There have been no efforts for recruitment this fall and the house which once belonged to the fraternity sits dormant on the outskirts of campus. So does the fraternity still exist at Marshall?
Harrison O'Dell, former president of Lambda Chi Alpha, said the house was sold to Pyramid Properties because of lack of active brothers living the house.
"The reason no one lived in the house is because the university won't allow members to live there, not because they didn't want to," O'Dell said. "They make a certain number of each chapter live on campus, and because of this we didn't have enough people who were allowed to live in the house."
The condition of the house was poor at the time of its sale, and this factored into the sale.
"The house was destroyed," O'Dell said. "If current brothers are unable to care for the house it becomes the responsibility of the housing corps."
The loss of the house would not have necessarily done the fraternity in for good, but that appears to be the case.
"Until there are some active members worthy of the name Lambda Chi, I would say that the Marshall chapter is extinct," O'Dell said.
Nick Walker, a prospective member who was to be initiated this fall, is still waiting for word from Lambda Chi Alpha about its current standing.
"When I was trying to join last spring there were only about five other people in my recruitment class," Walker said. "I haven't heard from my big brother or any of the active members since school went out. I heard the whole frat went under."
O'Dell expects more scenarios similar to the disappearance of Lambda Chi Alpha.
"In my opinion, the university considers all fraternities to be a hindrance," O'Dell said. "Within ten years, frat row will probably cease to exist."
O'Dell estimated there are still seventeen to twenty members who are technically "active". No active members were available for comment. Even though the fraternity is doing little right now, it would be untrue to say no one is dedicated to the fraternity.
"I would still consider myself a part of Lambda Chi," Walker said. "Even though I am not officially a member, I dedicated myself in the spring. If they ever get going again, I would definitely consider getting right back in it."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2005, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
Seems more the fault of the frat than anything.

Lack of recruitment.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

We'll evolve. Without a doubt, some old groups will go away in that process, and new ones will come in.

I think greek participation will trend up rather than down. As to housing though, I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. Greek housing is at a huge disadvantage when competing with the schools to fill beds. Schools can do it far cheaper, and they really don't have to do much to ensure continued success.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-22-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Greek housing is at a huge disadvantage when competing with the schools to fill beds. Schools can do it far cheaper, and they really don't have to do much to ensure continued success.
Right on the money.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Marshall's greek system has taken a beating lately. Alpha Chi Omega lost their house this past summer, and it was a beautiful house. But one of the biggest problems at Marshall is getting a "waiver" to move into the Greek housing. Marshall recently built new dorms, and they can't fill them, therefore, they're not letting people (freshman and sophmore in particular) move out. Lambda Chi fading away really doesn't surprise me, another fraternity an into the same problem a year or so ago.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:01 PM

Wow. Here I believe one of the FEW ways you CAN get out of living in the dorms your 1st two years is moving into your Greek house.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We'll evolve. Without a doubt, some old groups will go away in that process, and new ones will come in.

I think greek participation will trend up rather than down. As to housing though, I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. Greek housing is at a huge disadvantage when competing with the schools to fill beds. Schools can do it far cheaper, and they really don't have to do much to ensure continued success.
Not Sure I agree there K.

We try top make it Cheeper than the Local Apt. or Dorm Rent.

That is why We many times do better.

But, College Regs, for Frosh, Must Live in College Approved Houseing. Of Course, the Morons tore down a Dorm for a Quad Food Court!

Advanced thinking there!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-22-2005, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

My sorority sister is dating a LXA from Marshall...I'll have to ask her what's up with that. I know that TKE doesn't have their house anymore (it was beside the PKA house) but I'm not sure if the chapter is still active either.

My understanding of Greek Life at Marshall is that it is dwindling....and that they're fraternity pledging is more "old school" that what normal University's would like to have. That may be the source of one their problems.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
Not Sure I agree there K.

We try top make it Cheeper than the Local Apt. or Dorm Rent.

That is why We many times do better.

But, College Regs, for Frosh, Must Live in College Approved Houseing. Of Course, the Morons tore down a Dorm for a Quad Food Court!

Advanced thinking there!
Bottom line Tom: We have to break even, they don't.

We have to maintain a certain level of prestige so that quality guys will keep joining, the school doesn't.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

how sad....
one hates to see a proud house dry up and roll away
Old 09-23-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Bottom line Tom: We have to break even, they don't.

We have to maintain a certain level of prestige so that quality guys will keep joining, the school doesn't.

Kev, dont I know it but with the increase in fees (Dues) for R M insurance.

Todays Newbies dont want to pay money out of Expense for Fun! Well, not only that alone.

They also dont want the responsibility to gear toward somthing that is not In Their Focal Point of College.

So what does a GLO have to offer ME!?

Most do not have a clue what can in the long run Be Offered.

I actually wish I had the Answer along with every GLO that WE HAVE!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 09-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

Insurance is a good point. I could have partied in college without the overexpensive insurance policy just fine. I would have preferred it, in fact.

If all we do is offer a place to party, with the cost of things, I think we are placed at a real disadvantage. Organizations that fail to distinguish themselves as offering a truly different experience will fail, and they deserve to fail.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HoosierPhiSig
AT Indiana, all the Greek houses are ON campus. Whenever a chapter gets "kicked off" for whatever reason, The university uses the Emminent Domain bullshit and just takes the house. I believe this has happened to PIKE, Delta Chi, and Beta Theta Pi in the last few years. Now these houses are being turned into offices and used as collateral to trade for other fraternity houses that the university wants more.

When you lose your charter and house, it becomes extremely difficult to return to campus in the following years. It's for this reason DX and SAE probably won't be returning. PIKE got around 70 guys in their re-colonization last year, but without a house, they probably won't last much longer. at IU, if you don't have a house, you will die out.

We're really only still around because of luck and a few smart people . Phi Sigs got kicked off in the early 70's at IU and had their house taken. There were a few attempts at recolonization in those years, but failed. Therefore we have almost no alumni support here. We eventually got really lucky and got some extremely outgoing, business savy people in the founding class in 2000. The next year, we shared a small house with the Skulls ( Imagine how confusing that wouldve been. Phi Sigma Kappa living with Phi Kappa Sigma.) This helped TREMENDOUSLY with rush. The Skulls moved into another house the next year and we had enough people to fill the small house we were already in. We then outgrew that house in 1 year and moved into the IU-owned ex-DX house with a 1 year contract before that house would be handed over to Beta. Luckily for US, Phi Delta Theta got their charter revoked that year and we snatched up the opportunity to move into their old house for the next 2-3 years. After that, we're screwed unless we get lucky again. But now we have over 90 guys in the house and have a pledge class of 43-50 people starting in 2 days. I like to call us the "Hermit Crab of Fraternities". We just keep moving from house to house every year.

Last edited by HoosierPhiSig; 09-26-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

How sad.

Shouldn't be like that.
It should be based on the amount of members, the quantity and quality of activities the fraternities are involved not by the house they have or don't have.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBest!
How sad.

Shouldn't be like that.
It should be based on the amount of members, the quantity and quality of activities the fraternities are involved not by the house they have or don't have.
Ah, the world of living in the clouds.

It has been going of for years and will continue until Greeks Get Their Heads our of their asses and quit hazing that increases Dues for Insurance.

Just look all over GC and see what Greeks are always getting in to Hazing Problems, Seeing where other Greeks move into those Houses. Or, see Schools taking those houses and leaving no space for other Greeks. How about some schools building Greek Rows/Courts? Who has controls then?

While My Alma Mater is not a Major School, well except in Div. II football, the school is pushing STG out of their House, Buying up The Block where the Old TKE house was and the current Sig Ep House is that is two that are going to lose.

The rest of us who are still there own our Property and can tell them, Ah, No Way in Your Greek Court Idea.

Now, depending on the Size of Campi and the type of Houses and the membership, Yes, there is a difference.

Not all Schools are Main Uns and Flag Ship Schools. How many Millionaires are there and how many of the rest of us? You know, jsut us reguglar Peons who try to become Greek Members.

LX Z # 1
Alumni