GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,473
0 members and 1,473 guests
No Members online

Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

That looks like a small venue for "National Step Championship". I envisioned something larger.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2010, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Slight hi-jack:

I've seen several threads/posts about non-D9 organizations stepping (and how said organizations don't understand the origins of it, etc).

Is the feeling the same when AAs in non-D9 organizations step?

(I don't recall seeing any threads talking about this. If anyone is aware of any, I'll do a more in-depth search).
For me, I consider an African American introducing stepping to their non D9 chapter (and the chapter embracing it) to be more organic than the chapter being taught it from non-members. Others will surely disagree, but they don't matter.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
For me, I consider an African American introducing stepping to their non D9 chapter (and the chapter embracing it) to be more organic than the chapter being taught it from non-members.
I agree.

All things in moderation. If that African American member then tries to transform the chapter (and perhaps eventually the organization) into a BGLO, it may be a case of what people sometimes suspect of some African American members who join non-BGLOs--wookin' fo wub n all da wong pwaces.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

1) So, what about the fact that AKAs taught ZTA how to step??

2) I do agree that the Tau Chapter of AKA had a better show.

3) I also agree that the choice of judges was bogus.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiQuetieACE View Post
Already discussed.

ETA: As my dear friend says "I'm not opposed to non-NPHC teams stepping (because it's become more accepted over the years). I'm opposed to NPHCers teaching them how to step." You want to step? Do what many young step teams have to do. FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWNNNNNNNN.

Last edited by DrPhil; 02-22-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

tau chapter has some bangers
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiQuetieACE View Post

2) I do agree that the Tau Chapter of AKA had a better show.

3) I also agree that the choice of judges was bogus.
And I'm hearing that they teach them to step every year in preparation for a scholarship stepshow (not just 16 years ago) and are no doubt pretty pissed right now. If this is true, then I bet they'll discontinue this little tradition...LOL!
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
And I'm hearing that they teach them to step every year in preparation for a scholarship stepshow (not just 16 years ago) and are no doubt pretty pissed right now. If this is true, then I bet they'll discontinue this little tradition...LOL!
Every year? You have to be kidding me.

Are you telling me that the just-good-enough show I saw on youtube was basically an AKA creation that was taught to them FOR this stepshow?
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Every year? You have to be kidding me.

Are you telling me that the just-good-enough show I saw on youtube was basically an AKA creation that was taught to them FOR this stepshow?
I seriously doubt it for THIS show and maybe not in most recent years...don't know. A lot of comments about this thing are all over the internet right now including those supposedly from members of the AKA chapter on their campus.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Soooooo, is the point of contention is that because the ZTAs derived the step routine from the AKAs, that they did not win fair and square, thus they did not deserve to win?

I'm just curious....
Old 02-22-2010, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I seriously doubt it for THIS show and maybe not in most recent years...don't know. A lot of comments about this thing are all over the internet right now including those supposedly from members of the AKA chapter on their campus.

what are they saying about it?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess we so far away from our "pledge" process that we forgot what excuses are.

I don't care how they won, the fact of the matter is they won. As a step team priority one is to make sure your show is tight that it will overcome gimmicks. Everybody who has stepped in a show knows that you gonna run into a gimmick that is more flash than substance. (Like I saw somebody post earlier about their show being so 90's because it was technical. I mean we are stepping not auditioning for America's next dance crew) Your job as a team is to prep. Does that mean you still might lose to the gimmick? Yeah, it happens. Just grin and bear it and be thankful that your show was crisp.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
what are they saying about it?
Conflicting comments...some say the AKA's taught them 16 years ago and that's it while others say every year they teach them. Who knows but it's apparent in their routine that they did not come up with anything on their own. But hey, at least they were able to learn the steps. Some of us can't do that, even when copying.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

The following doesn't make any comment about the quality of the teams, the performances, or the judges:

I wonder if there would be the same negative reaction if a non-BGLO sorority had merely placed or even done badly in the competition.

I guess I'm asking if the reactions are such because 1) a non-BGLO group actually won, or 2) a non-BLGO even participated.

While we're at it, how would GC BGLO members feel if Latina-, or Asian- (South or East Asian), or multiculturally-oriented GLO's had participated, placed, or won? What if it was a non-BGLO team, but the actual dancers were African-American and/or of other minorities? I swear I think one of the ZTA girl looks African-American or at least multiracial.

Side note - My school now has 2 step/stroll shows during homecoming: 1) the long-running NHPC-only show, and 2) more recently, they've started doing a show with joint teams of NHPC, MCGLO's, and NPC. I remember AlphaPhi + Alpha Phi Alpha (how perfect!) and Lambda Theta Alpha + Phi Mu (winners in 2008).
Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
I guess we so far away from our "pledge" process that we forgot what excuses are.

I don't care how they won, the fact of the matter is they won. As a step team priority one is to make sure your show is tight that it will overcome gimmicks. Everybody who has stepped in a show knows that you gonna run into a gimmick that is more flash than substance. (Like I saw somebody post earlier about their show being so 90's because it was technical. I mean we are stepping not auditioning for America's next dance crew) Your job as a team is to prep. Does that mean you still might lose to the gimmick? Yeah, it happens. Just grin and bear it and be thankful that your show was crisp.
Hey...watch it. I'm a 90's stepper and IMO we stepped better back then...more precision, less hype, less theatrics, just stepping non-stop. Yeah, bring back 90's stepping and I might start going to more stepshows.