GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,557
1 members and 2,556 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2002, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile My rush at UCLA

I know that all of you have been eagerly awaiting yet another rush thread, I hope that all of you can enjoy my rush experience as much as I will. I am an incoming freshman to UCLA and I have recommendations for all of the houses, and more than one for some. The sororities are all housed in cute 1930’s houses, and there are eleven of them.

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Epsilon Phi
Alpha Phi
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Delta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi

Fall recruitment starts in 12 days and you all know how excited I am! The recruitment schedule goes as follows:

September 23rd
Kick-off Fair --12pm to 3 pm
Orientation (where you meet your rush groups) - 7pm to 8 pm

September 24th
Check-in --9 am
Visit all 11 Houses --11 am to 9 pm

September 25th
Visit 8 Houses --9 am to 6 pm

September 26th
Visit 4 Houses --5:30 pm to 9 pm

September 27th
Preference Night
Visit 2 Houses --5:30 pm to 10 pm

September 28th
Bid Day --3 pm

I will post later about my clothing choices. I have the first and third days planned out but I am still wondering for pref (I have 2 choices) and the second day. I’ll be shopping in San Francisco starting this Sunday for a few days so hopefully I will find something there!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2002, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

woohoo! finally, a rush thread with KD involved... there hasn't been one in awhile!
can't wait to hear more
Old 09-11-2002, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Oh Yippee!

...another rush thread -- even though it is at my alma mater's crosstown rival, I wish you the BEST time -- enjoy it girl! I know we will all enjoy living vicariously thru your experience!
And...last but not least
go Gamma Phi Beta!!
Old 09-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Good luck! We want to hear everything!
Old 09-11-2002, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea UCLAgirl!!! I am so excited for you!!
I can't wait to hear how it goes!!
Old 09-11-2002, 06:47 PM

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2002, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sassykd
YEAH!! Another Rush Thread!!

Have lots of fun UCLAgirl and enjoy yourself.

Keep us posted so that we can feed our addiction

Melissa
Old 09-11-2002, 11:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Hey babe!

You know I totally love ya and I'm wishing you the very, very best of luck (but of course, you don't need luck)! I'll be sending you good vibes all through your rush week... you'd best be sending me good vibes, too!

I know you're one fabulous girl and I think any sorority girl at UCLA in their right mind would be proud to call you sister.

Have a fabulous, fabulous time and of course, keep us all updated!

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush Clothes

Thank you so much. You girls really make me feel welcome to the Greek community even though I am a PNM.

Now I am a clothes person...ask anyone that knows me! So I'll post what I'll be wearing to the days that I know of. If you have any suggestions I have brown curly hair and I am tall so these knee length skirts don’t look too daunting on me. They’re not the frumpy type of skirts:

Day 1 Information Fair
Knee length bubblegum pink small print floral skirt that is slightly A-Line but a little more fitted and less apron like. Yellow J Crew scoop neck cotton tee, fitted. Pearl earrings and a rolled pearl or NAL pendant necklace. (This outfit could change if I want to match it to a different purse...I don't know which one would compliment this one the best...possible the tooled leather one.)

Day 1 Greek Orientation Meeting
This is where we meet other PNM's and our recruitment counselors. Emerald green Anthropologie fake wrap sweater or Michael Stars fake wrap top (emerald too) depending on weather. Trusty blue Diesel jeans. Boots and my *fake* malachite and amber choker. (2 amber strands with malachite stone in the middle). Small earrings of some sort.

Day 1 (of recruitment)
Denim A-Line blue and white thin diagonal chevron striped skirt with some rickrack and detailing at the bottom. Tomato red fake wrap sleeveless tank. Red leather and wood flip-flop like sandals. Necklace that has red, mauve, and raspberry metal flowers on it painted with a gemstone in the middle. It's on a bronzy detailed chain. Hand made tooled leather purse that has flowers tooled into it.

Day 2 (8 houses)
Maybe but I am not sure but I may wear red and white fitted gingham cropped pants with a dusty blue knit shell that has red cherries knit on one side of it. They kind of pop out…very cute. A same shoe as the day before and pearl earings with either the Tiffany’s all heart or heart ID bracelet or the pearl bracelet. This outfit may change because of purses…I love my new one to death!!!(It’s a small Burberry bag!)

Day 3 (4 houses)
Black and white screen printed floral pleated knee length A-Line INC skirt. Black knit ballet neck cap sleeved INC top. Pearl necklace and earrings. Either bright pink or black heels.

As far as the other clothes go I will be in SF from Sunday to Wednesday so I will have tons of time there to shop...actually that is the purpose of the trip. So if anyone has some tips on what I should wear for a southern California rush please do not hesitate to tell me before Sunday. As far as pref goes I have two choices since the recruitment newsletter told us to wear something that we would to a wedding. I have either a black spaghetti strap knee length dress that has a draped neck and gathers slightly above the knee in an asymmetrical fashion. My other choice is a fitted knee length strapless bright blue dress. Both would be worn with either pink or black heels, a full pearl set (earrings, necklace and bracelet), respectable makeup and hair half up half down . Please let me know what you think would be more appropriate for pref...I have no clue!

As far as dress codes for the days go here it is so you can help me out:
Kickoff Fair**day--- casual, outside at Drake Stadium,
Day 1 (11 houses)**day--- sundress, capri’s, skirts, khakis
Day 2 (8 houses)**day--- slightly dressier than day 1
Day 3 (4 houses)**night--- something you’d wear to a nice dinner
Day 4 (2 houses pref)**night--- a dress you’d wear to a wedding or party
Old 09-13-2002, 03:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shark_in_Skirt Send a message via Yahoo to Shark_in_Skirt
Quote:
Black and white screen printed floral pleated knee length A-Line INC skirt. Black knit ballet neck cap sleeved INC top. Pearl necklace and earrings. Either bright pink or black heels.
I think the bright pink would be a better choice than the black... it'd be a great little shock of color!

I know you are going to look FABULOUS! And you are my absolute heroine for actually planning outfits in advance.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I usually wear the pink shoes with the outfit partly because I don't have updated black heels...but that is what next week is for. The pink usually looks great with the outfits that I mentioned because with my coloring I can wear a light pink lip with a bright pink sheer gloss on top of that, and that combination of pink on the face and feet really tie in the colors.
Old 09-13-2002, 04:47 AM

Hey babe!

I know you are going to get tons of compliments on that outfit.

XOXO,
Annie.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:59 AM

Wow... you've really thought out your rush outfits. I wasn't nearly as organized, but then, I rushed in the Northeast.

For pref, go with the blue. Many chapters wear black, and blue will help you stand out. You might want to have a light wrap with you, in case it's chilly... nothing like trying to talk when your teeth are chattering and if it's not cold they'll just take it at the door.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

update

The shopping trip was a complete blast and now the clothes are subject to a bit of change.

For the second day of rush I’ll be wearing a racer back-spaghetti strap navy blue dress with a tan sweater tied around my shoulders. Gold colored Dr. Scholl’s sandals, pearls and the balled pearl necklace. As for the black shoes for pref I found some adorable cutout pumps that are classy yet look my age. I also will wear a beautiful Tiffany’s silver chain necklace for the third night, but still pearls the last night.

I would like to thank all of you that have PM’d me with your support. It really means a lot. Today I move in and Monday we start recruitment. Wish me luck!!!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

UCLAgirl,
You are going to look wonderful! It's so good to be organized and plan ahead so you can actually relax and enjoy the experience of recruitment.
Now that you've planned all your tremendously adorable sounding outfits, you have time to read up on all the amazing organizations you have to choose from!
www.npcwomen.org has links to all your choices.

In addition, I suggest you consider journalism as your major, you are a fabulous writer and with your obvious passion for fashion I could see you working at Vogue!

Good luck!
violets