GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,328
2 members and 1,326 guests
Cookiez17, JayhawkAOII

Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Recommendation Letters

Hi! My name is Parker and I will be a freshman at the University of Georgia this fall with a real interest in rushing. I'm the first in my family to go to college though and I really don't know any alumni. If anyone would be willing to write me a recommendation for any sororities I would seriously appreciate it! I have also reached out to my friends and their parents, but so far haven't got any recommendations. Please private message me if you have any contacts or would help me with some yourself! Thank you so much!
Old 04-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

This isn't how we work here. You need to approach your old teachers, neighbors, city Panhellenic, etc. The best recs come from people who know you and we don't know you!

There are several threads here about how to find recs.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

OP, definitely try your teachers, counselors, school nurse, administrators. They all went to college so odds are that a half to a third of them might be Greek. I have a sticker on my classroom cabinet that gives away my affiliation, if a student sees it and recognizes what it is she will most likely ask about Greek Life and I offer to write a rec for her. If one teacher is Greek, they usually know if any of the other teachers are as well. School is a great place to start, then church. Also ask the mothers, step mothers and sisters of your friends.
Good luck.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi and welcome to GC! Very excited for you and wishing you the best as you prepare.

Paging honeychile: can you chime in with wording for the OP to use in requesting recs through church bulletin? I recall you had a very charming way of putting it (but can't recall specifics).

OP: I suggest you network, network, network, including using social media appropriately to let everyone know you're going to be rushing. It's true that most sorority women have friends who are in other sororities. Once you make a connection, the likelihood is high that you'll be put in touch with other sorority alumnae.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-27-2018, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Depending on where you live in Atlanta, there are two alumnae Panhellenics that assist women with recs:
https://www.atlantapanhellenic.org/
http://www.ascapa.org/
Old 04-27-2018, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
Depending on where you live in Atlanta, there are two alumnae Panhellenics that assist women with recs:
https://www.atlantapanhellenic.org/
http://www.ascapa.org/
Didn't see that the OP lives in Atlanta. Not sure where you got that. Good idea to see if there is a local alumnae Panhellenic group she can contact, though.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-27-2018, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Pmhuga - if you live near Peachtree City, the ASCAPA is having a sorority info session this Sunday, 4/29. (Click 2nd website above for info.) These are excellent forums to find out more about sorority recruitment and rec letters. There will be alumnae from most or all of the groups at UGA. Get a resume together (google Houston Alumnae Panhellenic - they have a great sample resume) to take with you.