GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Chi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 976
2 members and 974 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 09-28-2006, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
TSteven -

Thanks, I was at work and couldn't look it up in my old pledge manual. I knew you would probably know. Was Gettysburg not a single letter chapter?

I wish the website would have all the chapters posted somewhere. Especially because guys at colleges with closed chapters might be interested in starting interest groups. Sigma Pi's website actually has a very good set up with that.
Yep. Gettysburg College - Theta (1863).

I agree. It would be nice to see all the chapters on the website. A few other fraternity websites not only have all chapters listed (inactive and active), but include a link back to their IHQ for guys interested in re-colonizing.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This sounds like it might be part of Temple or Drexel or something.
I tried Goggle and others sites and I can't find a reference to what happened to the school. I recall a listing (history of some sorts) from a while back that seemed to infer that the college was "absorbed" (my words) by the Pennsylvania state system.

Drexel is private while Temple is public - right? Maybe they are now part of the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia? But they are private as well?

Anywho, I tried to find the website again, but I haven't had the time to read all the selected entries. So far, the references are part of a bio on someone who attended Polytechnic College of Pennsylvania.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I tried Goggle and others sites and I can't find a reference to what happened to the school. I recall a listing (history of some sorts) from a while back that seemed to infer that the college was "absorbed" (my words) by the Pennsylvania state system.

Drexel is private while Temple is public - right? Maybe they are now part of the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia? But they are private as well?

Anywho, I tried to find the website again, but I haven't had the time to read all the selected entries. So far, the references are part of a bio on someone who attended Polytechnic College of Pennsylvania.
I don't know who would have absorbed it as there aren't any State System universities in Philly proper. The closest are East Stroudsburg and West Chester, and I'm not altogether sure either or both were around in 1865.

U of Sciences hasn't had Greek life till recently. So I doubt it's them.

And yes Drexel's private, Temple's public. Temple is "state related" which is completely different than the State System.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I did find this tidbit on Alfred L. Kennedy that made a reference to the college.

"In 1842 he had established the Philadelphia school of chemistry, and remained at its head until 1853, when it became under a new charter the Polytechnic college of the state of Pennsylvania. He was then chosen its president."

There are some other references to Polytechnic College of the State of Pennsylvania, so perhaps this might be the correct - or formal - name of the college.

For what it is worth, Upsilon was charted in 1865 and I believe closed around/by 1900. I'm not sure if the chapter closed before, or due to, the closure/absorbing of the college.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats to the UT Martin Colony, i have several friends at Martin and i may be coming to the installation, Guard Well.

In Hoc
Old 11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi return to OU campus

For the record--In July 2005, Pres. Boren at Oklahoma University sent a letter to Sigma Chi HQ inviting the Beta Kappa Chapter of Sigma Chi to return as a "recognized Student Organization" after January 17, 2006 upon completion of six state requirements. In February 2006, after completing 5 of the 6, and on the eve of commencement of the 6th, he changed his mind (after 17 presidents of the other on campus fraternities complained) and re-scheduled the chapter's return as a Student Organization for the spring of 2007 and return to the Chapter House for the fall of 2007.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Rhode Island

January 9, 2007
Expansion: University of Rhode Island
© 2007, Sigma Chi International Headquarters

Rhode Island – After a near nine-year absence, Sigma Chi is returning to the University of Rhode Island. A month-long, headquarters-driven New Chapter Initiative will begin in February 2007. When the new colony is formed in March, Delta Sigma will be 12 months away from regaining its charter.

If you know anyone associated with the University of Rhode Island (alumni, faculty, or students – whether male or female) who may be interested in joining or could recommend potentially interested young men, please pass his/her name and contact information to John Dicks (john.dicks@sigmachi.org), associate director of expansion, who will be coordinating our efforts there.

Last edited by TSteven; 01-09-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Bumping an old thread.

It's great to see many of my choices have been rechartered: Mizzou, Michigan, Texas, and Texas State. Florida International has been colonized.

Would still like to see us expand to Truman State University and Rhodes College. I would add University of Central Arkansas to the list. Also, would like to recharter Clarion in Pennsylvania and Southwest Missouri State University.

Not so much Missouri Western anymore. Greek Life has taken a nose dive there.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 11-24-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: typed Michigan twice
Old 11-23-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Also, would like to recharter Clarion in Pennsylvania
I know a lot of the alums from this chapter, and they absolutely define "brotherhood for life." The school needs to get its isht together first, though, and that might take a while.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Polytechnic College of Pennsylvania closed according to an old History of Sigma Chi book at our headquarters. It closed a couple years after the folding of the chapter there. I could not find a reference to it being absorbed by another institution.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
TSteven -

I wish the website would have all the chapters posted somewhere. Especially because guys at colleges with closed chapters might be interested in starting interest groups. Sigma Pi's website actually has a very good set up with that.

Ask and you shall receive!

I saw your request/suggestion on here and passed it along to HQ yesterday as a good idea. Guess what? The inactive chapters have been added to the chapter list as of this morning! I think you'll appreciate the info each listing links to for further information.

Great idea brothers and great job to HQ staff for responding so quickly and efficiently to implement a good suggestion.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 AM

^^ That is great! Like both TSteven and I said, it's a good tool for guys on those campuses who might want to start interest groups.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Kappa - University of California Santa Barbara

I joined this chapter in S'07 and one year later our house was taken away from us. I would to see this house make a come back on campus, it was full of great guys who brought a lot to the campus and community.

I am also curious who I should attempt to contact in an attempt to try and make steps toward bring back our chapter. I joined as a freshmen and next year will be my last year on campus and I would really like to try and bring Sigma Chi back to UCSB. Thanks guys and I hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by Shaz; 05-25-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the stipulations the school made when the chapter was closed. It could be that they established a specific date for return, or required that the Fraternity could not come back until all former members had left the school, or any number of other stipulations. I would recommend contacting Sigma Chi HQ and speaking with the Director of Expansion.

You could visit the Greek Life Office on campus and speak with someone there about the steps needed to bring the chapter back to campus but its probably best if you go through HQ.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:51 PM

When I get bored, I make lists. I was in an 8 hour staff development yesterday, so I was bored out of my mind.

Recharters I would like to see:
Ohio University
Lafayette College (PA)
Clarion University (PA) - this one may be in the works
Missouri State University (former Southwest Missouri State University)
Northern Illinois University
Bowling Green State University (OH)
Washington & Jefferson (PA) former Iota chapter of Jefferson College

New campuses I would like to see:
Rhodes College (Memphis, TN)
University of Central Arkansas
University of Central Missouri
Truman State University (MO)
University of North Carolina-Wilmington
University of North Carolina-Greensboro
East Carolina University
William Woods University (MO)
Baker University (KS)
University of Nebraska-Kearney
Grand Valley State University (MI)

I realize I am a bit top heavy with midwest and southeast locations.