GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,155
1 members and 1,154 guests
Low D Flat

Old 10-19-2009, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

If you are truly excited about a sorority you've visited, and you would LOVE to be invited back, express these feelings to whoever you're talking to before you leave that house. Let her know that you're excited to come back and get to see more of the house and meet more of her sisters. If she didn't really connect too well with you, your enthusiasm could boost your chances! Don't take it overboard, but be sure to get your point across! Any girl would rather invite back a PNM who wants to be an ABC rather than just "Greek".
Old 10-20-2009, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu_aoii View Post
If you are truly excited about a sorority you've visited, and you would LOVE to be invited back, express these feelings to whoever you're talking to before you leave that house. Let her know that you're excited to come back and get to see more of the house and meet more of her sisters. If she didn't really connect too well with you, your enthusiasm could boost your chances! Don't take it overboard, but be sure to get your point across! Any girl would rather invite back a PNM who wants to be an ABC rather than just "Greek".
however, bear in mind that there is a fine line between "interested" in "creepy'
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

That's why I said don't take it overboard.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I liked this quote from "Sorority Wars" on Lifetime, and I think it would have helped me if I had heard it before I rushed last year.

"Make sure you like what they stand for, because soon, you're about to stand for it too."

It's completely normal for good looks and big houses to sway your opinions on a chapter - we're all human - but just make sure that beyond the perfectly sculpted updos and white-picket fences, you can see a potential lifelong sisterhood with those girls. Looks fade, houses age - but sisterhood is forever.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Confused?

I am wondering if it will be horribly held against me what I said during the fall informal recruitment period when I go through in the spring formal recruitment period? I did not receive any bids so I decided to try again this spring and see what happens, but I am nervous that what I said in the fall has already made it impossible for me to get a bid. Any thoughts?
Old 11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilb View Post
I am wondering if it will be horribly held against me what I said during the fall informal recruitment period when I go through in the spring formal recruitment period? I did not receive any bids so I decided to try again this spring and see what happens, but I am nervous that what I said in the fall has already made it impossible for me to get a bid. Any thoughts?
that would depend on what you said
Old 11-19-2009, 10:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I just said that I was involved on campus in a few activities and it seemed like some of the houses didn't think I would have time to be in a sorority. How do I show that I am involved on campus but that I am also really wanting to be a part of their sorority?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really enjoying this thread - it has a lot of good advice for PNMs. But if I could give collegians some advice ...
I know some of the PNMs sometimes talk out of turn or come off like they're too stupid to live, but please, try not to judge them too harshly at first. Most of them are just 18 and away from home for the first time and aren't as poised and confident as they like to think they are. Many girls, like the ones at my school, are first generation college students who know little of Greek life or have friends or relatives to guide them. A girl may run her mouth too much from nerves, wear too much eyeliner or whatever, but unless she's wildly inappropriate, give her at least a second chance. She may be more poised the second time around and allow you to see her as a potential sister. If not, well, that's what second cuts are for. But a little consideration can go a long way and help your chapter gain some really great girls they might not have gotten otherwise.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilb View Post
I just said that I was involved on campus in a few activities and it seemed like some of the houses didn't think I would have time to be in a sorority. How do I show that I am involved on campus but that I am also really wanting to be a part of their sorority?
Unless you said "I spend every night at the newspaper office" or "I have practice for basketball 3 times a day" a sorority who would cut you for that is idiotic. Most sororities ENCOURAGE or even COMPEL their members to be in other extracurricular activities.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Unless you said "I spend every night at the newspaper office" or "I have practice for basketball 3 times a day" a sorority who would cut you for that is idiotic. Most sororities ENCOURAGE or even COMPEL their members to be in other extracurricular activities.
I don't know about other sororities, but in my chapter it's actually REQUIRED that you have at least two extracurriculars as a new member and at least one once you're initiated.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSK81 View Post
I'm really enjoying this thread - it has a lot of good advice for PNMs. But if I could give collegians some advice ...
I know some of the PNMs sometimes talk out of turn or come off like they're too stupid to live, but please, try not to judge them too harshly at first. Most of them are just 18 and away from home for the first time and aren't as poised and confident as they like to think they are. Many girls, like the ones at my school, are first generation college students who know little of Greek life or have friends or relatives to guide them. A girl may run her mouth too much from nerves, wear too much eyeliner or whatever, but unless she's wildly inappropriate, give her at least a second chance. She may be more poised the second time around and allow you to see her as a potential sister. If not, well, that's what second cuts are for. But a little consideration can go a long way and help your chapter gain some really great girls they might not have gotten otherwise.
This can be one of the frustrations with RFM. I know that my chapter is required to release nearly half of the PNMs after the first round. Every year, I know that we are releasing young ladies that would make fabulous new members based on first impressions. However, that’s why educating these young women is important. In recruitment especially, you really may never get a “second chance to make a first impression.”
Old 04-08-2010, 08:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is wonderful advice.

It's like the old saying "Don't judge a book by it's cover". That applies to both PNM's and to the actives.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2010, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, what exactly is RFM? I've seen it on other threads and was wondering. It must be something relatively new - in my day we still had "coke dates" where members would meet one-on-one with PNMs for coffee, a soda or whatever. Nowadays, that's considered dirty rushing at most schools.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
OK, what exactly is RFM? I've seen it on other threads and was wondering. It must be something relatively new - in my day we still had "coke dates" where members would meet one-on-one with PNMs for coffee, a soda or whatever. Nowadays, that's considered dirty rushing at most schools.
RFM stands for "release figures method". its the new method from NPC for
determining the number of PNMs that a chapter must release or fliping it .. the maximum number of PNMs that a chapter can invite for a specified round of formal recruitment.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
If the school has deferred rush, this wouldn't be considered dirty rushing. If it is, the school is using the concept of deferred rush incorrectly. The only time things like that should be "illegal" at a DR school is while rush itself is going on.