GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 311,249
Threads: 115,193
Welcome to our newest member, bajaessttsy8896
» Online Users: 336
1 members and 335 guests
*winter*

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged my sorority as a Senior, but I was also a transfer student and a founding sister of my chapter. However, I have many guy friends who have pledged both as founding and established chapters on my campus. I think it also depends on the enviroment of your campus. But don't let any one discourage you! As someone else said, your college years are only the start of Greek Life!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EE-BO View Post
In the real world, AI works pretty much the same by the way (ducking the flames now) except that a person's strong connection to a chapter starts or comes to a certain point after graduation.
I don't know what AI is like for Beta, but other groups (such as mine) do not grant AI status lightly. Absent very extraordinary circumstances, becoming an alumni initiate of many fraternities (including mine) is not a realistic expectation.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Taking out of the equation that you are a senior, and traditional policies per chapter/nationals, what is it that you can offer the fraternity during the time you will be on campus?

It has to be something pretty spectacular. I would think that you need to show the Fraternity what you can do for them in that shorter amount of time, as opposed to what you can take from the experience (ie. letters, a sense of brotherhood, etc.).

Then ask yourself, how can you demonstrate you willing to continue your membership in practice, as an alumnus?

Those are the questions you need to ask and answer of yourself, and to make pretty darn clear to the brothers. No one here can do anything but speculate. Try and see what happens.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodak1911 View Post
I pledged K A Psi during my LAST semester as an undergrad. I graduated a month after I probated. I think it's worth pledging if you are dedicated to it.

There is a reason why I didn't pledge earlier and that was due to financial reasons. However, I didn't let it deter me from doing something I really wanted to do. I really wanted to be a brother in the bond of Kappa Alpha Psi, so I stuck with it.

I was blessed with the opportunity to be picked and go through the process. You have to remember this one thing: a fraternity's ties extend WAY beyond the campus. Therefore, just because you are leaving the chapter you pledged at doesn't mean you can't be a valuable asset to the bond.
Well said and congrats!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Coramoor
I would say go for it.

During my time we had several guys pledge that were almost ready to graduate. In a few of those instances, they ended up dual majoring so they could stay in college longer and therefore stay in the frat longer.

Hell, in one instance they guy graduated a semester later but stayed extremely active by visiting all the time, going to football games, and still paying 'dues' even though he was out of school. The guy also constantly invited people to his parents country house over near DC to hang out and then go into the city to have fun.

On the flip side, I have several friends that thought frats were ok, but didn't want to join one. Now that we have all graduated and they see me going back to tailgates, alumni parties/dinners, and going 'home' to the frat house they would give anything to go back and do it again so they could pledge.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to KDAngel Send a message via AIM to KDAngel
I wouldn't do it. Granted everyone has their own situation and their own reasons, but I just don't see the point. Maybe if it's a brand new chapter just coming on campus that needs founding members or something, otherwise no.
Alpha Rho Chapter at the University of Maryland, PR Adviser: www.umdkappadelta.org
*COUNTRY FIRST* Conservative. Republican. Proud.

Last edited by KDAngel; 05-29-2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: .
Old 05-29-2007, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
Depends on if you are seeking IFC or NPHC. Either way you try for AI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilance1922 View Post
I've seen it happen in NPHC orgs.
Glad I read ahead.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1908Revelations View Post
Depends on if you are seeking IFC or NPHC. Either way you try for AI.
Maybe I'll be the very unofficial MCGLO rep for this thread?

Can't speak for ALL multicultural orgs, but I pledged as a senior and know other sisters who have done the same. Ours is a lifetime committment, so the bond is just as strong.

I actually think it's a good thing to have had some exposure to Greek life before deciding on such a committment. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

While harder to be accepted as a Senior, the lfe time commentment can be so true! Being a Grad at the same school, living in the same town or going to school near by could be a plus!

Just check into it! Give it a chance!

You may offer a lot!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, definitely depends what your plans are for after college. Joining a fraternity can be the best decision of your life for a multitude of reasons, but as a 21-22 year old pledge, expect to be doing a lot of bitch work for your pledge class and membership, namely...buying alcohol.
Give it a shot though, I had two 21ers in my pledge class of 23 guys, and they did fine.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Live_Wire17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDAngel View Post
I wouldn't do it. Granted everyone has their own situation and their own reasons, but I just don't see the point. Maybe if it's a brand new chapter just coming on campus that needs founding members or something, otherwise no.
See...therein lies the difference with BGLO because when we look at interested people we look to see what they can bring to the organization both on campus and off (after graduation). With our orgs, community service and scholarship go hand n' hand. After you graduate is when you can better impact the community which is what our lifetime commitment is all about.

Not to knock other orgs (outside of D9) but when I speak to many co workers that are not members of BGLO but joined a sorority/frat in college, they don't understand how and why I am still active...then I go into "teacher mode".

"Like the perfect lyrics over the tightest beat"
Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIJIpride21 View Post
Yeah, definitely depends what your plans are for after college. Joining a fraternity can be the best decision of your life for a multitude of reasons, but as a 21-22 year old pledge, expect to be doing a lot of bitch work for your pledge class and membership, namely...buying alcohol.
Give it a shot though, I had two 21ers in my pledge class of 23 guys, and they did fine.
Oh...is that what yours is about????

Old 05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Wire17 View Post
Oh...is that what yours is about????
Yep.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIJIpride21 View Post
Yep.
Oh Wow! I'm sorry...that's unfortunate.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Quote:
Originally Posted by puma303 View Post
I am graduating next at the end of next year. Is it worth it to start in a fraternity next fall?
I would say it really depends on the university and how active you want to be. If you don't plan on being too active b/c of your senior year studies, then no. If you are looking at a Southern school, no again.

Now, my first little was a senior when she joined. She was busy her senior year, but was involved in every activity that we had as a chapter, and helped us to plan activities as well. She held an office and put her everything into it!

I know someone mentioned that a 22 year old shouldn't join...but I disagree. I was 21 when I joined, but I was a second semester transfer freshman as well. Now that I'm done, I'm still involved as an active alumna getting ready to help with a recolonization of another AOII chapter this fall.

If it something you want to do, and you know you'll be active, then I say go for it!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.