GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,331
2 members and 2,329 guests
MSKKG

Old 01-11-2006, 01:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OTW
Oh Jesus H. Christ, she's back.
Oh no, she's still here

I guess I really struck a nerve commenting on your ugly tattoo.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-11-2006, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SissyC0109
Oh no, she's still here

I guess I really struck a nerve commenting on your ugly tattoo.
Wait, are you the girl with a prison tattoo of her letters?
Old 01-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Wait, are you the girl with a prison tattoo of her letters?
Stop harassing her.

-Rudey
Old 01-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Moderator stepping in...

Please keep things on topic.

Back to your regularly scheduled forum.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

BE YOURSELF. Don't let the opinions of the other PNMs influence your decision. There will probably be TONS of rumors flying about the different houses. No, XYZ will NOT make you stand in the quad naked and circle your fat. Just don't believe what you hear. Think for yourself.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.

If you like something, tell them. These women have worked so hard preparing recruitment for YOU, so if their house/hall looks nice, tell them. If you thought their skit was funny, tell them. They will definitely appreciate it. Don't be overly enthusiastic (OMG I love you and I love your house and I love everything!!!) and always be sincere.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Omg that is great advice now i know what to do and what not to do.thanx
Old 05-15-2006, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

The most predictable thing about recruitment is that it is not predictable. Things happen....planned or not. So be prepared.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

One extremely important piece of advice: listen to your Rho Chi when she tells you to turn off your cell phone!!!
My school does deferred recruitment and at our pref day in January we had a PNM texting on her cell phone during our pref ceremony, complete with the sound on. That definitely left us with a feeling that she didn't care about our ceremony and that she didn't want to be a member of our organization. Unfortunately that night while my chapter was outside waiting for girls to get their bids she came up to ask us where she was supposed to go and implied that she was expecting a bid from our chapter and that is why she had come up to ask us where she needed to be. No matter how impressed we had been with her before, she ruined her impression at the very last minute. So just keep your phone away and off...it sends the impression that you are uninterested and just don't care about what's going on!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

When they ask who you like the best...

Hey ya'll,
Thanks for all of your advice, its been really helpful! I'll be staring rush in less than a month and I'm SO excited! I have one question though- if a sister asks you which sorority you like the best and you really like their sorority should you tell them theyre your favorite? I've heard that that's really bad and makes you seem over-eager about everything. I've also heard that you should definitley tell them you like them at Pref. Night, but what if they ask you on the first couple of days? I've been wondering about this for awhile so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks again girls, hope youre having a wonderful summer!
Old 07-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl224 View Post
Hey ya'll,
Thanks for all of your advice, its been really helpful! I'll be staring rush in less than a month and I'm SO excited! I have one question though- if a sister asks you which sorority you like the best and you really like their sorority should you tell them theyre your favorite? I've heard that that's really bad and makes you seem over-eager about everything. I've also heard that you should definitley tell them you like them at Pref. Night, but what if they ask you on the first couple of days? I've been wondering about this for awhile so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks again girls, hope youre having a wonderful summer!
Don't ever tell a sorority that they're your favorite on the first day or two. It will make you look creepy and stalker-y.

Aside from that, no sorority members should be asking you questions like that - it's a rush infraction. If there's a group that persistently asks things like this, let your rush counselor know.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Don't ever tell a sorority that they're your favorite on the first day or two. It will make you look creepy and stalker-y.
BUT if you feel really strongly about a house during round three or prefs, make sure you let them know how much you like them! Sometimes it can be hard to tell for sure where a house stands with a rushee and during prefs a simple "I'm so glad to be here" or "I really love it here at XYZ" can let the rusher know that they're a favorite of yours without giving off a stalker vibe.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

This may have been said before, and if so I apologize.

Some aspects of recruitment might seem weird. No social event or organizational interest meeting that I had gone to up until rush or have gone to since involved door stacking, singing, chants, clapping, yelling, etc, as prospective members came to show interest.

Don't be weirded out if that's not your thing. Try to enjoy it and share the enthusiasm of the girls rushing you, but know that it really has almost nothing to do with day to day life in any of the chapters.

This warning never would have occurred to me except that one of the girls I know who dropped out of recruitment last last mentioned it to me after she dropped out. She is the kind of girl who would have made a great member, but I think she thought that if this kind of zany activity was typical, it wasn't for her.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Another tip

At schools where tons of girls are going through, I would make a point to stand out in your wardrobe. You may talk to 4 or 5 girls at the first round, but probably half the chapter sees you enter or leave. We rushed in January, and I remember one girl wore a really bright, pretty scarf. So when a sister described her after the round, we all knew who she was and it was easier to put a face to her name. And you're more likely to vote for a girl who you remember (seems obvious!). So dress to impress, and maybe add a unique touch to your outfit, like jewelry, fun shoes, etc. This also makes a great conversation piece!!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur de Lis View Post
So dress to impress, and maybe add a unique touch to your outfit, like jewelry, fun shoes, etc. This also makes a great conversation piece!!
That's a great idea, but make sure you're adding unique touches appropriate to the style of your campus. "Fun shoes" might mean something totally different to the Chicago or New York PNM (Jimmy Choo snakeskin stillettos anyone?) than to the conservative Atlanta or Dallas PNM. If it's a very conservative, traditional recruitment, you'd probably be better off in adding something like a piece of jewelry that's unique in how gorgeous it is, not unique in how "different" or funky it is.

And this should really go without saying, but your conversation piece should under no circumstances be a straw hat or purple feather boa unless you're rushing on Mars.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiOhSnap View Post
And this should really go without saying, but your conversation piece should under no circumstances be a straw hat or purple feather boa unless you're rushing on Mars.
LOL. If anyone needs further clarification on this, please refer to my post in "Weird Rush Stories" about the PNM who decided to be memorable in orange and purple.