GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,464
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, zmaondarko7769
» Online Users: 2,406
1 members and 2,405 guests
UVASquirrel

Old 03-02-2001, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

It always amazes me how many do not put their schools on the site!!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-02-2001, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom,
I agree with you. It's amazing how people won't reveal where they attend school. They all seem so proud of where they go and of who they are...oh well.

Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!
Old 04-11-2001, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

okay.. i have a question.. i havent made the best grades in high school! i started out in a small town and in junior high was in NJHS and Leadership Coucil, and Volleyball.. then I had to move to a huge city for freshman year, and halfway through sophomore year i moved to another school (b/c of my 'rents divorcing), but now im like coming back up! i have pretty good grades and high SAT scores.. so will they be able to look at what i did freshman and sophomore year? i'm a junior now. just curious. I haven't been in any sports or clubs in high school either, so do they look down on that? I have coached gymnastics for 3 yrs straight! HAHA! o'kay.. i need more advice on past things that they can find out about you and also what looks good that i have time to add b/c i really really want to be in a sorority! it's just for me!
Old 04-11-2001, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Bebe, I think you really need to concentrate on HS right now....you still have 1 1/2 years to go before you start worrying about Rush. I know everyone tells you this, but it flys by so fast....just concentrate on one day at a time, and keep getting informed on Greek life and improving your HS life!
Old 04-11-2001, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dzsweetiee:
Bebe, I think you really need to concentrate on HS right now....you still have 1 1/2 years to go before you start worrying about Rush. I know everyone tells you this, but it flys by so fast....just concentrate on one day at a time, and keep getting informed on Greek life and improving your HS life!
o'kay.. i asked that question for a reason. just b/c im thinking about this doesn't mean it's bothering my high school life. uh! anyway, what you said didn't help me any.
Old 04-11-2001, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Tom and KappaGirl--

Lots of us don't put our schools on here (or location) b/c there are tons of weirdos here on the Net. You never can be too safe.
Old 04-14-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Hi--I'm a freshman at college and I went through formal rush in the fall--I ended up not signing my pref. card and decided to wait and informal later on. Well two terms have gone by and I have done some informal activities, but the house that I am really interested in has not contacted me. I don't know if I should contact this house or not--I know alumni that could write me recs., should I have them do this for informal? Should I call the house and ask them if they are doing informal rush right now? I think that I am a really strong candidate for any house--I'm very involved, I have a 4.0, I dress well, I'm nice too! I think some of the other houses might be ready to give me bids, but I want to give this other house a shot before I accept one. I would really appreciate any advice!
Thanks!
Old 04-18-2001, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by bebe_cHiCk17:
o'kay.. i asked that question for a reason. just b/c im thinking about this doesn't mean it's bothering my high school life. uh! anyway, what you said didn't help me any.
First, I'm not sure ANYONE here can help you with this, this seems like a highly subjective area. You have to ask those women at the college you FIRST HAVE TO APPLY TO, then SECOND must be accepted at, and THIRD ACTUALLY ATTEND. You see where we're coming from? We just mean, there are OTHER priorities BEFORE thinking about sorority life.

Now, that being said, I'll take a stab at it, I've got time to kill:

Are you talking about dirt you've done? Because if you go to a college where you're living, or nearby, then stuff gets out. If you go to a small school and people from your school end up at your college, stuff can potentially get out.

If you're just talking grades, then I think college is the time to worry about it. As far as I know, groups on the college level don't focus THAT much on high school events. This is all MY OPINION, just remember that.
So, once you GET to college, contact members and ask.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:08 PM
Banned

Talking

My advice,
*Rush when you are a sophomore, hang out with some of the guy/girls from each sorority/fraternity and get to know them your freshman year.
*Avoid going through formal rush, some people, like me (who are quiet at first blush) may fall through the cracks.
Old 04-30-2001, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I disagree with the last post, especially if you're rushing in the South. Very often, a chapter has a limit set for sophs and upwards and even if they love you, might not be able to pledge you. See the recent posts on "reasons you might be cut from rush".
Old 04-30-2001, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I definitely agree with carnation... if you think there's a good chance you'll want to join a sorority, rush your first year, when most other girls do. Just because you go through the rush process does not obligate you to join. If you totally hate it, you can drop out or not accept a bid.

At my collge, it is VERY difficult to get a bid as a sophomore, even if you're friends with lots of members. This year, much fewer than 10% of non-freshman rushees got bids. It just doesn't happen often. My chapter (which usually makes quota) wants new members that will be with us for all four years. We want to give the freshman a chance (the vast majority of rushees are freshman), rather than keeping them out on behalf of older girls who have had that chance before. Any "selective" sorority chapter would rather take younger girls if possible.

What carnation said is true, at least with regard to how rush/voting works in my chapter... if you're a sophomore, even if we love you, you'll probably be at the bottom of the bid list just on the basis of your age.
Old 04-30-2001, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HeidiHo
Unhappy

I rushed as a sophmore & I'm kicking myself for it. I've been active for 2 quarters now, & I only have 2 years left with all my wonderful sisters Not to mention all the seniors who are graduating now & my big who'll graduate next spring. I'm sad that I missed a whole year with these ladies.
Just my $.02
Heidi
Old 05-01-2001, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Exclamation

I don't want to offend anyone since I know nothing about rushing in the south, but for people who don't live in the south a lot of this advise is, like Kappa mentioned, over the top. I go to school in Michigan and we don't do headshots or letters of recommendation. The rushees are encouraged to get to know the sisters and find a place where they feel comfortable. If they put on a facade just to get into a house and then change once they're in, they're going to be uncomfortable and their sisters are going to wonder what the heck happened. I hate when girls act one way during recruitment and then become a totally new person practically overnight, it's annoying!!! Also, I went through as a sophmore and I think that was the best way to go because I got a chance to figure out who I was and I KNEW what I could contribute. I think it's better to have girls of varying ages so you don't get too top heavy. The best advise is to just be yourself and to get to know as many girls as possible so you'll have more girls voting on you. If you don't meet the girls, you may unfortunately be dropped, not because they don't like you but, because other rushees are being fought harder for. Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-2001, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
I have read so much about rush that I am nearly sick to my stomach with worry. I will be attending LSU in the fall and am considering skipping rush all together. I feel like no matter how great my resume is (and in honesty, it's pretty good) there is no way I'll get in a sorority of my choice. I don't have the family social ties and I only know a few girls in each house. I'm not a legacy to any sororities on the campus and I could go on and on with all the things I'm not. If I were going to another school, I would have confidence, I DID HAVE CONFIDENCE, until I started reading these messages. I do think the advice is very good and helpful in the majority of situations, but I feel like no matter what I do during LSU rush, it's predestined or something. I wish I didn't feel this way. Well, that's all I have to say.
DO NOT be scared away by all the advice that's been given in this thread. It's true, LSU is a very competitive school Rush-wise, but it is nothing to get upset about. Go through Rush and see what each of the houses have to offer. It won't be nearly as stressful as you think -- as long as you just be yourself! Don't sell yourself short!

And please feel free to direct any questions to me. I have a DZ sister that I talk to regularly who just graduated from LSU last year. If together we can't answer your questions about Rush, then no one can! Good luck and keep your head up!

Old 05-18-2001, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
worried--

Enjoy the last few days as a senior while you can. This will be here when you're done HS in a few short weeks! It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row, now let your accomplishments and such speak for themselves. I'm sure not every woman who got into a sorority at LSU was a legacy or rich or had social ties. You'll be fine

I don't know squat about LSU, but I'm hoping for nothing but the best for you! Nobody should feel the way you sound like you're feeling about rushing a sorority.

Quote:
Originally posted by worriedsenior:
I have read so much about rush that I am nearly sick to my stomach with worry. I will be attending LSU in the fall and am considering skipping rush all together. I feel like no matter how great my resume is (and in honesty, it's pretty good) there is no way I'll get in a sorority of my choice. I don't have the family social ties and I only know a few girls in each house. I'm not a legacy to any sororities on the campus and I could go on and on with all the things I'm not. If I were going to another school, I would have confidence, I DID HAVE CONFIDENCE, until I started reading these messages. I do think the advice is very good and helpful in the majority of situations, but I feel like no matter what I do during LSU rush, it's predestined or something. I wish I didn't feel this way. Well, that's all I have to say.

------------------
Delta Phi Epsilon, Celebrating 84 years of Dedication, Pride and Excellence!